ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Family Friendly dilemma

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 19times »

Afternoon all.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Lino has asked me If I can end my Family Friendly hours because they are looking to lapse my walk during the summer period.

I basically come in an hour early in order to finish an hour earlier to look after my 3 year Daughter. I have been doing this since around 2012.

She will hopefully be starting school in Sept so at the moment it's not possible but he wants an answer basically wanting me to give it up.

What are my options? do they have to give some kind of notice? It's stressing me out now :cry
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 2pints »

19times wrote:Afternoon all.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Lino has asked me If I can end my Family Friendly hours because they are looking to lapse my walk during the summer period.

I basically come in an hour early in order to finish an hour earlier to look after my 3 year Daughter. I have been doing this since around 2012.

She will hopefully be starting school in Sept so at the moment it's not possible but he wants an answer basically wanting me to give it up.

What are my options? do they have to give some kind of notice? It's stressing me out now :cry
They cannot force you to.Just say it is not possible.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 19times »

2pints wrote:
19times wrote:Afternoon all.

I'll try to keep this short and sweet.

Lino has asked me If I can end my Family Friendly hours because they are looking to lapse my walk during the summer period.

I basically come in an hour early in order to finish an hour earlier to look after my 3 year Daughter. I have been doing this since around 2012.

She will hopefully be starting school in Sept so at the moment it's not possible but he wants an answer basically wanting me to give it up.

What are my options? do they have to give some kind of notice? It's stressing me out now :cry
They cannot force you to.Just say it is not possible.
Really? I get the impression that he can... from him that is! then again he is known to talk bullocks most the time in order to get his way.

I'll have a chat with the linos plaything... I mean Rep :neutral:
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by Jpro747 »

They can't make you stay beyond your contract finishing time
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by aiden01 »

Jpro747 wrote:They can't make you stay beyond your contract finishing time
was his contract changed when he went on a family friendly contract :hmmmm
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 19times »

aiden01 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:They can't make you stay beyond your contract finishing time
was his contract changed when he went on a family friendly contract :hmmmm
I don't know to be honest, all I have (somewhere) is my original contract from 1998!

It was all agreed with my office/union back in 2012, my start/finish times are on the signing in sheets.

I can only assume the new DIM who's been in for around a month is pushing to lapse more walks with mine being third on the list unbeknown to me when I signed for the duty :mad
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by aiden01 »

19times wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:They can't make you stay beyond your contract finishing time
was his contract changed when he went on a family friendly contract :hmmmm
I don't know to be honest, all I have (somewhere) is my original contract from 1998!

It was all agreed with my office/union back in 2012, my start/finish times are on the signing in sheets.

I can only assume the new DIM who's been in for around a month is pushing to lapse more walks with mine being third on the list unbeknown to me when I signed for the duty :mad
if you have no faith in your rep as you said lino,s plaything take it up with area rep good luck
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by Lounge Lizard »

aiden01 wrote:
19times wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
Jpro747 wrote:They can't make you stay beyond your contract finishing time
was his contract changed when he went on a family friendly contract :hmmmm
I don't know to be honest, all I have (somewhere) is my original contract from 1998!

It was all agreed with my office/union back in 2012, my start/finish times are on the signing in sheets.

I can only assume the new DIM who's been in for around a month is pushing to lapse more walks with mine being third on the list unbeknown to me when I signed for the duty :mad
if you have no faith in your rep as you said lino,s plaything take it up with area rep good luck
Sadly no faith in your rep as in lino's pocket is all too common these day. :sad: :thumbdown
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 2pints »

If your in union email/call local area rep,if not in union join asap.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 19times »

2pints wrote:If your in union email/call local area rep,if not in union join asap.
I am in the union - been in since I started but I'll be honest I have thought about coming out due to getting no one on one help, sad state of affairs really. :sad:

I'll more than likely speak to the office Rep then If no joy go higher, I'll be able to change back was my little un starts school.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 19times »

Bump.

Sorry Guys to push this to the top but need some more feedback/comments If possible.

I have since like I said spoke to the office Rep and he was of little help really :neutral: basically just said If I can't change say you can't change then blabbered on about they review it every 12mths... first time in two years :so there

Lino wants to know asap If I can go back to my old hours - he told me the new DIM is pushing him for an answer so he can lapse my walk basically and shove me wherever but can't do because my finish time at the mo prevents this.

I will be telling him I can't until my little starts School next Sept - slim chance could be Jan but Schools are full I've been told.

Does anybody know how this may play out? can they just scrap the agreement I have at the moment? I am getting a little stressed with this If truth be told :oops:

Thanks Guys.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 2pints »

19times wrote:Bump.

Sorry Guys to push this to the top but need some more feedback/comments If possible.

I have since like I said spoke to the office Rep and he was of little help really :neutral: basically just said If I can't change say you can't change then blabbered on about they review it every 12mths... first time in two years :so there

Lino wants to know asap If I can go back to my old hours - he told me the new DIM is pushing him for an answer so he can lapse my walk basically and shove me wherever but can't do because my finish time at the mo prevents this.

I will be telling him I can't until my little starts School next Sept - slim chance could be Jan but Schools are full I've been told.

Does anybody know how this may play out? can they just scrap the agreement I have at the moment? I am getting a little stressed with this If truth be told :oops:

Thanks Guys.
Do not stress about it,your rep is right, if a litle vague.The reason they are asking you instead of telling ou is simple,it is your choice so if you cannot do it then simply tell them that.Make sure you are clear and leave no room for any doubt or they will try all sorts of tactics to get you to agree.Get your rep to go with you when you tell them.If your rep is not helpful you can report him to the cwu in one simple email.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by wacko74 »

Why does your current family friendly hours mean it's not possible for them to put you on any other walk?
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Family Friendly dilemma

Post by 19times »

2pints wrote: Do not stress about it,your rep is right, if a litle vague.The reason they are asking you instead of telling ou is simple,it is your choice so if you cannot do it then simply tell them that.Make sure you are clear and leave no room for any doubt or they will try all sorts of tactics to get you to agree.Get your rep to go with you when you tell them.If your rep is not helpful you can report him to the cwu in one simple email.
Thanks Pal, I know I shouldn't be that bothered about it but there you go :oops:

Why does your current family friendly hours mean it's not possible for them to put you on any other walk?
Why does your current family friendly hours mean it's not possible for them to put you on any other walk?
wacko74, I believe it's because my finish time doesn't marry up with others but the walk I do is one of the ones nearest the office - was a HCT walk before it went van share and my partner is a good guy and finishes it off nearest to the office ( short walk back )