ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2 year warning

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bigal383
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 492
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

2 year warning

Post by bigal383 »

If someone gets a two year warning for swearing at management and does the offence again even with a great union rep what's goin to happen?
newboy23

Re: 2 year warning

Post by newboy23 »

Kiss your job goodbye especially if your full time
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning

Post by aiden01 »

bigal383 wrote:If someone gets a two year warning for swearing at management and does the offence again even with a great union rep what's goin to happen?
will surely be :wave :wave :wave
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning

Post by fishtank »

A two-year suspended dismissal is exactly that. A repeat offence during this period is only likely to end one way.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning

Post by Theghost »

Some Joker of a manager tried to give me a 2 year warning once,Because I was sick in March 2004 and March 2005 incidentally the same week.
Someone got in his ear I had it off to go to the Cheltenham festival,Which I never,But the prick convinced himself this is why.

I told him i would never accept a 2 year warning over coincidentally being ill the same week 2 years on the trot,He then got another manager from another office to interview me about it,The other manager couldn't believe he was brought in to speak to me over such a matter,Left the room,Bollocked my manager for wasting his time and left.

I should have taken it further,But hey ho.

What actually goes on in the mind of some of these deluded cretins?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: 2 year warning

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Of course a 2 year warning for swearing at a manager can be seen a lot of different ways, but if a manager can't cope with a forthright and colourful way of speaking without resorting to disciplinary action then why are they a manager.

conversely, if it wasn't a first offence and the offender was given plenty of "friendly chats" and no so friendly "come to my office" warnings before the ordinal disciplinary then I can't see what else a manager could do.

However, it's still not an irreversible situation, but the rep and the "offender" will have to work hard to recover it. Was the culprit under stress from outside factors, are they remorseful, have they apologised. Do they realise their behaviour was unacceptable. Are they willing to be moved to another office or work area to mitigate the chances of it happening again.

The chances of surviving under the picture you have painted are slim, but if you lay it on thick and really mean it, at least you gave yourself a chance, albeit a very slim one, but its better than no chance at all.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning

Post by postslippete »

Casual swearing occurs in all offices


But swearing directly at a manager.....are you serious??? As much as I don't like them, you need to be very careful of what you say AND what you do

I have heard of one guy who got transferred to another office because he called his manager thick! Another, got a 2 year warning for 'insubordination' - by all accounts he was asked by the DOM to take a 9am special out but he refused because he wanted to prep his own mail instead. His argument was "why should I do it?" Now, I don't know how true these peoples accounts are - in both cases it sounds as if they should have been counselled first.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: 2 year warning

Post by rubberbond »

postslippete wrote:Casual swearing occurs in all offices


But swearing directly at a manager.....are you serious??? As much as I don't like them, you need to be very careful of what you say AND what you do

I have heard of one guy who got transferred to another office because he called his manager thick! Another, got a 2 year warning for 'insubordination' - by all accounts he was asked by the DOM to take a 9am special out but he refused because he wanted to prep his own mail instead. His argument was "why should I do it?" Now, I don't know how true these peoples accounts are - in both cases it sounds as if they should have been counselled first.
But that's why it's always advised to just do what is asked and argue the toss later,on the other hand, the way people are spoken to in this organisation,sometimes beggars belief,especially by managers, it doesn't appear to cut both ways as regards disciplinary measures I seem to have noticed. Funny that.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 2 year warning

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Theghost wrote:Some Joker of a manager tried to give me a 2 year warning once,Because I was sick in March 2004 and March 2005 incidentally the same week.
Someone got in his ear I had it off to go to the Cheltenham festival,Which I never,But the prick convinced himself this is why.

I told him i would never accept a 2 year warning over coincidentally being ill the same week 2 years on the trot,He then got another manager from another office to interview me about it,The other manager couldn't believe he was brought in to speak to me over such a matter,Left the room,Bollocked my manager for wasting his time and left.

I should have taken it further,But hey ho.

What actually goes on in the mind of some of these deluded cretins?
But then when you had the same week sick in March 2006 and March 2007 ? :no no :no no :no no
( Only joking )
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Re: 2 year warning

Post by Spedley »

I've been close to swearing (and hitting) a manager but fortunately I'm calm enough to just refuse to continue the conversation without a union rep present and a scheduled meeting to discuss a particular topic. Refusing to listen or react to a conversation drives them mad. On the other hand, when a DOM accused me of 'taking the piss' the union rep did explain to the DOM that I would have been sacked for that and he did apologise (which lasted all of a week).