ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving....

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

Been a postman for nearly 4 years now and over the last week they have asked me 3 times if I can become a driver. Obviously I dont want to become a driver but was wondering if they can actually make me do it. I'm not sure why they are picking on me particularly as I'm not after any more hours (OT) and there are plenty of other walkers who are newer than me or who would actually like to become a driver.

Just had a look through my most recent contract (from when I became permanent) and it says nothing about driving even though my line manager claims it does ;liar

Thoughts please?
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by saddlerposty »

why is it obvious you don't want to become a driver ?
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

saddlerposty wrote:why is it obvious you don't want to become a driver ?
Nice one Captain Helpful :Applause
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

saddlerposty wrote:why is it obvious you don't want to become a driver ?

Because they've asked him 3 times?
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by saddlerposty »

your welcome.
so why don't you want to drive its part and parcel of the job, or are you just happy to leave it to someone else to do for you. got a few like you at our office.
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

saddlerposty wrote:your welcome.
so why don't you want to drive its part and parcel of the job, or are you just happy to leave it to someone else to do for you. got a few like you at our office.
Firstly....its "you're" not "your".

Secondly....got a few like you in our office too, they're called managers.

Thirdly....stop ruining my thread! Can we get a Mod in here to get rid of the troll please?
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Re: Driving....

Post by doorstepped »

if your contract says postman with occasional driving then yes, they can make you drive.

if it does not state that then you are within your rights to refuse to become a driver.

we have a couple in our office, who do have cars etc, but don't drive for RM. that is their choice and good on them for standing by their rights.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Driving....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

saddlerposty wrote:your welcome.
so why don't you want to drive its part and parcel of the job, or are you just happy to leave it to someone else to do for you. got a few like you at our office.
I am the same, I can drive in fact I enjoy it, but I wasn't recruited as a driver or even an occasional driver and there is nothing in my contract that means they can make me drive.

I spent thousands on getting my licenses (more than just a basic licence holder) why should RM get the benefit from them without some form of compensation for me, yet expect me to run the risk for a non blameworthy being blamed on me. I will drive for RM when it suits me to do a changeover, and at the time of my choosing, if that's ok with you.


Also the 2010 agreement does have clauses that refer to non drivers and those that don't want to drive, or those that lose their licence.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

Thanks to the helpful ones :thumbup
Upon reading my contract it says my jobtitle is "postman/postwoman". No mention of driving anywhere. Is there a chance I'm missing something though? Just want it to be water tight for when they approach me again :dance
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Driving....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

weakerthan wrote:Thanks to the helpful ones :thumbup
Upon reading my contract it says my jobtitle is "postman/postwoman". No mention of driving anywhere. Is there a chance I'm missing something though? Just want it to be water tight for when they approach me again :dance

You might have to go as far as checking the recruitment paperwork if you still have it, around 4 or 5 years ago - Just as the BT2010 deal came in, they changed all recruitment to Postman with Occasional Driving - if that's what they recruited you on, then your chances of dodging it are lessened.

F.... Knows why they don't use one of the volunteers though. :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
weakerthan wrote:Thanks to the helpful ones :thumbup
Upon reading my contract it says my jobtitle is "postman/postwoman". No mention of driving anywhere. Is there a chance I'm missing something though? Just want it to be water tight for when they approach me again :dance

You might have to go as far as checking the recruitment paperwork if you still have it, around 4 or 5 years ago - Just as the BT2010 deal came in, they changed all recruitment to Postman with Occasional Driving - if that's what they recruited you on, then your chances of dodging it are lessened.

F.... Knows why they don't use one of the volunteers though. :crazy:
Yea thats what my rep said. Its a pretty big office with many who are willing! I was recruited as a Postman with Occaisional Driving and was originally up for it but they didnt put me through my changeover and after about 2 years I decided it really isnt worth the hassle if I can avoid it. Also, i've signed about 4 different contracts since I started and my most recent one doesnt say anything so fingers crossed.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Driving....

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Sorry, but if you were recruited as an occasional driver then RM are within their rights (I think) to impose that contractual requirement. Depending on how far you want to push it, it may be worth getting advice from Employment Lawyers or ACAS, but as I say I think you case is weakened because of how they recruited you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Sorry, but if you were recruited as an occasional driver then RM are within their rights (I think) to impose that contractual requirement. Depending on how far you want to push it, it may be worth getting advice from Employment Lawyers or ACAS, but as I say I think you case is weakened because of how they recruited you.
Bummer. Thanks for the help anyway :thumbup
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Driving....

Post by saddlerposty »

weakerthan wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:your welcome.
so why don't you want to drive its part and parcel of the job, or are you just happy to leave it to someone else to do for you. got a few like you at our office.
Firstly....its "you're" not "your".

Secondly....got a few like you in our office too, they're called managers.

Thirdly....stop ruining my thread! Can we get a Mod in here to get rid of the troll please?
firstly ..don't call me a troll . I have said nothing offensive or insulting to you.
secondly . don't be so pendantic
thirdly.... don't start a thread if you don't expect some form of opposition to which your talking about. it's called free speech.
weakerthan
Posts: 44
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
Gender: Female

Re: Driving....

Post by weakerthan »

saddlerposty wrote:
weakerthan wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:your welcome.
so why don't you want to drive its part and parcel of the job, or are you just happy to leave it to someone else to do for you. got a few like you at our office.
Firstly....its "you're" not "your".

Secondly....got a few like you in our office too, they're called managers.

Thirdly....stop ruining my thread! Can we get a Mod in here to get rid of the troll please?
firstly ..don't call me a troll . I have said nothing offensive or insulting to you.
secondly . don't be so pendantic
thirdly.... don't start a thread if you don't expect some form of opposition to which your talking about. it's called free speech.
I wasn't starting up a discussion though. I was merely seeking advice from my fellow posties so I see no need for any opposition. Yes you are a troll because your earlier comment of "got a few like you in our office" was a little confrontational, derogatory and completely unnecessary. Clearly being a keyboard warrior is your way of blowing off steam after a hard day at work so carry on good sir but watch your(proper use)spelling/grammar because you will get called on it if you insist on being so unfriendly. :cuppa