ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done?
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done?
Ok, some time ago I knocked on a door - no answer. Tried the neighbour, who was in and happily signed for the parcel. Okey dokey no worries all done...
I only cover this round infrequently and over a week later I'm back outside the same door and that parcel which I delivered to the neighbour (it was distinctive, easily recognisable and the postmark confirmed it to me) was now sitting on the doorstep of the house it was intended for, not with the neighbour whom I'd left it with.
I left it there, reckoning that as it was now an issue between the 2 neighbours and nothing more to do with me & I shouldn't be having anything more to do with this parcel because I'd 'delivered' it, just as I was supposed to nowadays.
Presumably the neighbour I left it with became fed up with the intended recipient not collecting it so dumped it on their doorstep. Has RM a guide on what to do in this scenario? Maybe I should ask the Courier? Any ideas?...
I only cover this round infrequently and over a week later I'm back outside the same door and that parcel which I delivered to the neighbour (it was distinctive, easily recognisable and the postmark confirmed it to me) was now sitting on the doorstep of the house it was intended for, not with the neighbour whom I'd left it with.
I left it there, reckoning that as it was now an issue between the 2 neighbours and nothing more to do with me & I shouldn't be having anything more to do with this parcel because I'd 'delivered' it, just as I was supposed to nowadays.
Presumably the neighbour I left it with became fed up with the intended recipient not collecting it so dumped it on their doorstep. Has RM a guide on what to do in this scenario? Maybe I should ask the Courier? Any ideas?...
-
Nobodyshero
- Posts: 83
- Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 13:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
I would've taken the parcel back to the DO and left another docket saying that the item previously left with the neighbour was now being held there, a bit of ballache but at least you would've been covered, and when you see the person who the parcel was intended tell them what happened.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
Ah, but the 'being covered' bit is what I mean. My own reckoning (possibly/probably wrong?) is that me entrusting the item to someone in the first place means that my obligation regarding that item is concluded. It has been 'delivered' to RM's specification. The neighbour could toss it in a swamp but I'd still be legally covered, no?
-
cazspence
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 05 Nov 2011, 06:28
- Gender: Female
- Location: Aberdeen
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
Maybe it had been put out to be collected by a courier for return.
-
Budfrog
- Posts: 893
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
I can understand the frustrations of some householders for while DTN works well enough in many cases it does rely on goodwill. I always take in items for my neighbours, not only to assist them but to help the delivery person (whoever he is working for) and have had items as large as a double mattress in my hallway. My next door neighbour is a keen online shopper and most of the items that I/we take it are for her,but not once has she come to collect anything despite the fact that cards are left !!! Householders who know they will be at work when an items that is too large to fit through the post box should either arrange for a redelivery, visit the callers office themselves or use Click & Collect or Postal Lockers.
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
The neighbour should be coached counselled or conducted.wannabeek wrote: Any ideas?...
Actually as an honorary plod you could arrest them for doorstepping.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
I saw this exact same thing last Christmas.
I delivered to a cul de sac of 10 house's. 4 had packets but 3 were not in, I asked the 4th one ( who was in :) ) if they would take the packets for all of the others.
she said yes, so I gave her them all. once I got back in my van and started to drive off I saw that she took all the packets and placed them on the doorsteps of those who were not in.
needless to say, everything from then on got p739'd without fail.
I delivered to a cul de sac of 10 house's. 4 had packets but 3 were not in, I asked the 4th one ( who was in :) ) if they would take the packets for all of the others.
she said yes, so I gave her them all. once I got back in my van and started to drive off I saw that she took all the packets and placed them on the doorsteps of those who were not in.
needless to say, everything from then on got p739'd without fail.
-
Jambomatt1874
- Posts: 168
- Joined: 30 Mar 2010, 19:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
Just don't leave it with neighbours simple
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
P739 simple
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
MisterPostie
- Posts: 48
- Joined: 30 Jan 2011, 20:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
We're put under pressure to leave as much with neighbours as we can. If they don't have the sticker saying to return to the office, we have to try neighbours and get questioned when we bring stuff back.Jambomatt1874 wrote:Just don't leave it with neighbours simple
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
My partner often gets fed up of taking parcels in for the next door neighbour 2 doors away,and has told me she often leaves it on their doorstep because she hates the inconvience of taking parcels in all the time nearly everyday!!! Lol
I believe they complained because she don't get their parcels no more...
If the customer had a note on their door informing couriers to leave parcels with neighbours then I would probably do it;if they haven't just don't bother!!
I believe they complained because she don't get their parcels no more...
If the customer had a note on their door informing couriers to leave parcels with neighbours then I would probably do it;if they haven't just don't bother!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
jimboaby
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 21:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
DOor step all parcels and simply claim you gave it to the neighbour :) It's the royal mail way!
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
If have left it there too, I had one sign for a recorded letter then post it through their letterbox.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4109
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done?
Err nothing why would you, it's not your responsibility/problem you did your job by the book, don't worry about it.
Err nothing why would you, it's not your responsibility/problem you did your job by the book, don't worry about it.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: Neighbour doorstepped a parcel. What would you have done
Absolutely DO NOT do this, under any circumstances. If you value being employed that is!jimboaby wrote:DOor step all parcels and simply claim you gave it to the neighbour :) It's the royal mail way!