ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Wearing own trainers
-
paulf0203
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Wearing own trainers
We have been told by our DOM that we can no longer wear our own trainers for work (I only wear them in the summer)as they do not have the same protection as RM issued trainers unless we get a letter from our Doctor to say they are suitable is this really the case?
-
paulf0203
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
sorry I meant it to read ..is it the case nationally?paulf0203 wrote:We have been told by our DOM that we can no longer wear our own trainers for work (I only wear them in the summer)as they do not have the same protection as RM issued trainers unless we get a letter from our Doctor to say they are suitable is this really the case?
-
happymackem
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 304
- Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: in the land of the mackems
Re: Wearing own trainers
why wear your own Royal Mail provide them??????????????????
-
GoingRoundTheBend
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
Ive been wearing my own since i started a few years back, no one says anything, and have to say that probably 1/3 of my office all wear their own
I get more grip from my own than any royal mail issued footwear.
I get more grip from my own than any royal mail issued footwear.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Wearing own trainers
Yes - and you get £30 towards them as well, bet they didn't mention that.paulf0203 wrote:We have been told by our DOM that we can no longer wear our own trainers for work (I only wear them in the summer)as they do not have the same protection as RM issued trainers unless we get a letter from our Doctor to say they are suitable is this really the case?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 679
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
Re: Wearing own trainers
wear whats most comfortable. RM trainers can kill your feet.Health and safety is fine but common sense needs to prevail when it comes to our feet.
-
coxie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1336
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
Officially Royal Mail trainers have no more protection, they are only classed as uniform and not protective footware for health and safety reasons. They can make you wear them as part of uniform code but they are not issued on grounds of health and safety.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
Unless you have a doctors note (in which case, as TBT says you get £30 towards shoes too) you need to be wearing RM footwear. If you have an accident and you're not wearing the correct footwear you may well be taken down the conduct code.Edward Hunter wrote:wear whats most comfortable. RM trainers can kill your feet.Health and safety is fine but common sense needs to prevail when it comes to our feet.
-
deltaforce
- Posts: 778
- Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
You should only wear approved footwear or it could lead to a conduct code issue especially where a trip or slip causes injury.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
Strict in our office - no non-RM footwear unless a medical reason.
-
paulf0203
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 20 Nov 2013, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
for no other reason than they look better with shortshappymackem wrote:why wear your own Royal Mail provide them??????????????????
-
ctpunk
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 May 2015, 19:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
http://www.myroyalmail.com/news/nationa ... -and-trips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there are 3 brands of boots and shoes to chose from.
I had worst experience with Magnums- allways smelly :D
there are 3 brands of boots and shoes to chose from.
I had worst experience with Magnums- allways smelly :D
-
ctpunk
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 May 2015, 19:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
Dr Martens looks OK with shorts ;)paulf0203 wrote:for no other reason than they look better with shortshappymackem wrote:why wear your own Royal Mail provide them??????????????????
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Re: Wearing own trainers
All well and good, but I don't have a medical reason to need to wear my own shoes but a physical issue means I wear through work shoes 6-8 weeks, even with my manager getting involved authorising new shoes the orders get refused or delayed - I will not be issued shoes more frequently than 6 monthly
I get through too many apparently So it's my own shoes while I wait or none at all.
I get through too many apparently So it's my own shoes while I wait or none at all.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Wearing own trainers
Our manager orders our shoes, we show him they are near the end of their life, they get replaced with no issues. He cannot let you go out in them if they are worn, if you have a slip or trip it would be down to him.