ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Morons who are worse than managers..
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Morons who are worse than managers..
I've been covering a runner's duty this week while he is off. Not only does he come in early, he also doesn't take any of his 40 minute break. Naturally, I don't come in early and do take my full break, which has sent the line manager into a fit of near apoplexy, as he noted that 'that duty never fails, they never book overtime'. So, I asked the oppo if they ever book overtime when they go over, and he said no.
It's like giving managers a blank cheque to add more onto duties. Will these morons ever learn?
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Morons who are worse than managers..
If the duty is genuinely too big and the guy doesn't have the confidence to do the job properly it could be that the rest of the office are the real morons.
You have to create the right working environment where people feel empowered to stand up for themselves, that's everybody's responsibility.
You have to create the right working environment where people feel empowered to stand up for themselves, that's everybody's responsibility.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Morons who are worse than managers..
noNondescript wrote:I've been covering a runner's duty this week while he is off. Not only does he come in early, he also doesn't take any of his 40 minute break. Naturally, I don't come in early and do take my full break, which has sent the line manager into a fit of near apoplexy, as he noted that 'that duty never fails, they never book overtime'. So, I asked the oppo if they ever book overtime when they go over, and he said no.![]()
![]()
It's like giving managers a blank cheque to add more onto duties. Will these morons ever learn?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Morons who are worse than managers..
Confidence is obviously a Big element, as FS mentions. I don't know an easy solution but it never ceases to amaze me that posties would still prefer to work for nothing, rather than cause a bit of upset for the DOM. How many times have you heard a colleague say, "I can't be bothered to book the overtime...It's only 30mins and it's not worth the hassle of trying to get paid for it"? 
All you can do is try and convince them that they're not doing anything wrong and they should be claiming for any overtime. When the DOM moans about my overtime I simply say, "Anytime you don't want to pay me Overtime just let me know...because I'll be back in the Office right on time and I'll be bringing back any mail that hasn't been delivered"! (Obviously following the correct procedures)! Strange how he never seems too bother to tell me.
All you can do is try and convince them that they're not doing anything wrong and they should be claiming for any overtime. When the DOM moans about my overtime I simply say, "Anytime you don't want to pay me Overtime just let me know...because I'll be back in the Office right on time and I'll be bringing back any mail that hasn't been delivered"! (Obviously following the correct procedures)! Strange how he never seems too bother to tell me.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Nondescript
- Posts: 232
- Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Morons who are worse than managers..
Well, the two postmen concerned aren't exactly shrinking violets, both are quite vocal, so I don't think their apparent reluctance to book overtime can be ascribed to confidence issues, although it could be that they don't want to lose face with the other runners and early starters by doing something as stupid as booking overtime for an overrunning delivery. 
-
RetroJunkie
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
- Gender: Female
Re: Morons who are worse than managers..
the same people who become work place coaches and managers
you have to take care of no1, because none else will, sad but true
otherwise this place will send you into a deep depression the more and more you roll the same thing around in your head
you have to take care of no1, because none else will, sad but true
otherwise this place will send you into a deep depression the more and more you roll the same thing around in your head
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Morons who are worse than managers..
Well that's a puzzler.Nondescript wrote:Well, the two postmen concerned aren't exactly shrinking violets, both are quite vocal, so I don't think their apparent reluctance to book overtime can be ascribed to confidence issues, although it could be that they don't want to lose face with the other runners and early starters by doing something as stupid as booking overtime for an overrunning delivery.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)