Hi, it's me again:),
I have a few questions to ask before tomorrows interview.
1/ When/If they ask me what would I do to check the vehicle before the start of my shift, what should I say or include?
Tyres/Petrol/Lights/??
2/Why do I want this job?
3/ Any questions?
I know the above sounds pretty obvious but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.
Thanks
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Interview checklist
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Interview checklist
1. Oil and water (screen washer), new damage.Dave74 wrote:Hi, it's me again:),
I have a few questions to ask before tomorrows interview.
1/ When/If they ask me what would I do to check the vehicle before the start of my shift, what should I say or include?
Tyres/Petrol/Lights/??
2/Why do I want this job?
3/ Any questions?
I know the above sounds pretty obvious but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.
Thanks
2 and 3 are ones that only you can answer, but don't worry too much its not as formal as most interviews, just be honest.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
-
kiltwalker
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 17 Apr 2015, 14:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
1. Bodywork/damage check, sufficient fuel, tyre check. There's a video somewhere on the RM workers' website on this.Dave74 wrote:Hi, it's me again:),
I have a few questions to ask before tomorrows interview.
1/ When/If they ask me what would I do to check the vehicle before the start of my shift, what should I say or include?
Tyres/Petrol/Lights/??
2/Why do I want this job?
3/ Any questions?
I know the above sounds pretty obvious but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.
Thanks
2. Your personal opinion! I said something corny, but you might want to say the hours suit, you want a job which will keep you fit and get outdoors, and something about community, blah.
3. Maybe ask about how RM is doing since privatisation, or something more locally relevant.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
1.By using the daily/weekly check sheets and make sure the van log book is filled in
-
Stella102
- Posts: 597
- Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
open up bonnet check water/oil/screenwash
go around all tyres check tread
check for any damage
check fuel and log book filled in
go around all tyres check tread
check for any damage
check fuel and log book filled in
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
I always said that if you had legs and could read then you had the skills to be a postie!
Questions to ask....
1. Whats the working environment like?
This will tell you immediately if the person/s interviewing you have actually worked on the shop floor or not. Its significant because if there is a Royal Mail Manager present, they will be looking for specific answers. If team-working has not been mentioned in the interview stage (and I am sure it would have), its another chance to emphasise how you love working in a team - as most of us now have to work with someone on delivery.
2. How could I impress you in my first 3 months?
They might actually throw this back at you if you ask it! But they are basically looking for staff to work up to speed on deliveries, be flexible in working days off, have a 'can-do' attitude to doing different shifts and adapt readily to changes in workplace practices. That is all you need to know.
3. Can people develop quickly here?
Asking this is probably what a Personnel type person might want to hear BUT it is definitely not what a Royal Mail manager wants to hear! There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking to better oneself - but at interview stage, it could be viewed as if you would rather leap into a more senior job before you have got the first one! Royal Mail also have their own programme for training its own managers - what they really need to hear in your interview is how committed you are for this job....
Questions to ask....
1. Whats the working environment like?
This will tell you immediately if the person/s interviewing you have actually worked on the shop floor or not. Its significant because if there is a Royal Mail Manager present, they will be looking for specific answers. If team-working has not been mentioned in the interview stage (and I am sure it would have), its another chance to emphasise how you love working in a team - as most of us now have to work with someone on delivery.
2. How could I impress you in my first 3 months?
They might actually throw this back at you if you ask it! But they are basically looking for staff to work up to speed on deliveries, be flexible in working days off, have a 'can-do' attitude to doing different shifts and adapt readily to changes in workplace practices. That is all you need to know.
3. Can people develop quickly here?
Asking this is probably what a Personnel type person might want to hear BUT it is definitely not what a Royal Mail manager wants to hear! There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking to better oneself - but at interview stage, it could be viewed as if you would rather leap into a more senior job before you have got the first one! Royal Mail also have their own programme for training its own managers - what they really need to hear in your interview is how committed you are for this job....
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
I wondered how it worked, in my years of experience , I don't recall ever seeing a van bonnet open, I began to assume they were welded shut.Stella102 wrote:open up bonnet check water/oil/screenwash
go around all tyres check tread
check for any damage
check fuel and log book filled in
-
Dave74
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
Thanking every single one of you. :) will keep you posted on how the interview went.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Interview checklist
I guess you don't have the vans that need the engine re-gen every 70 milesrubberbond wrote:I wondered how it worked, in my years of experience , I don't recall ever seeing a van bonnet open, I began to assume they were welded shut.Stella102 wrote:open up bonnet check water/oil/screenwash
go around all tyres check tread
check for any damage
check fuel and log book filled in
-
P739
- Posts: 277
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48
Re: Interview checklist
When will I get a fulltime contract ?
