ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
-
Dave74
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Hi there everyone,
My name is Dave and I am new to this forum. This coming Friday I have a job interview at the Royal Mail for the position of Postperson with Driving. On my Royal Mail website account I have received 3 forms to download, complete and return on the interview date. The first document, the health consent form is straightfoward. The health matrix form I have read but I do not know what or how to fill it in or what to do with it (as there are ticks already in certain boxes.) The third document Category 14 checklist fails to download to my desktop but I presume that it asks for proof of ID, address and or driving license.(Even this link fails to download http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=8840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) The most worry I have is that two weeks ago, when I applied for the job I sent for a UK driving licence to be exchanged for my Gibraltar one. Now, what if I do not recieve my UK driving licence before Friday? Will I be turned away?
Thanks very much and sorry If I sound really stress out.
I am!!! I really want this job:(
My name is Dave and I am new to this forum. This coming Friday I have a job interview at the Royal Mail for the position of Postperson with Driving. On my Royal Mail website account I have received 3 forms to download, complete and return on the interview date. The first document, the health consent form is straightfoward. The health matrix form I have read but I do not know what or how to fill it in or what to do with it (as there are ticks already in certain boxes.) The third document Category 14 checklist fails to download to my desktop but I presume that it asks for proof of ID, address and or driving license.(Even this link fails to download http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=8840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) The most worry I have is that two weeks ago, when I applied for the job I sent for a UK driving licence to be exchanged for my Gibraltar one. Now, what if I do not recieve my UK driving licence before Friday? Will I be turned away?
Thanks very much and sorry If I sound really stress out.
I am!!! I really want this job:(
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
The health matrix is for your benefit only, so you know what physical requirements the job has.
The passport/driving licence requirement is to prove who you are and that you're entitled to work in the UK.
Good luck with your interview. Think about times you worked in a team, by yourself, and handling valuable items, the interviewer will want to hear examples, e.g. how you coped with the pressure of meeting a deadline, how you dealt with an angry customer.
For kicks you can ask the interviewer what the prospect of getting a full time contract with Royal Mail is.
The passport/driving licence requirement is to prove who you are and that you're entitled to work in the UK.
Good luck with your interview. Think about times you worked in a team, by yourself, and handling valuable items, the interviewer will want to hear examples, e.g. how you coped with the pressure of meeting a deadline, how you dealt with an angry customer.
For kicks you can ask the interviewer what the prospect of getting a full time contract with Royal Mail is.
-
Dave74
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Hi norm, thank you very much for your quick response.
Do I have to print out the health matrix and take it along to the interview (maybe as proof that I have read and acknowedged it?) Also would you by any chance know what is included in the caterogy 14 checklist?
I will most certainly follow your bits of useful advice.
And last but not least, I have proof of address and a UK biometric passport but what If I do not recieve the UK driving licence before Friday? Will I be turned away for failure to produce all said documents?
Once again thanks
Dave
Do I have to print out the health matrix and take it along to the interview (maybe as proof that I have read and acknowedged it?) Also would you by any chance know what is included in the caterogy 14 checklist?
I will most certainly follow your bits of useful advice.
And last but not least, I have proof of address and a UK biometric passport but what If I do not recieve the UK driving licence before Friday? Will I be turned away for failure to produce all said documents?
Once again thanks
Dave
-
JP1
- Posts: 77
- Joined: 23 Aug 2011, 23:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
> And last but not least, I have proof of address and a UK biometric passport but what If I do not recieve the UK driving licence before Friday? Will I be turned away for failure to produce all said documents?
When I had my interview back in 2011 I had to show all the documents to some people from Manpower before I had the privilege of going through to the next room to talk to the DOM. They did send one kid away when he didn't have everything they asked for.
When I had my interview back in 2011 I had to show all the documents to some people from Manpower before I had the privilege of going through to the next room to talk to the DOM. They did send one kid away when he didn't have everything they asked for.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Take all evidence of right to work with you and chill.
I won
-
Dave74
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Ok thanks people.
I will start to chill out a bit now spiderj :) However, one last question....I am thinking of going to the interview dressed up with shirt, tie and trousers. Is that enough or shall I bother going with a suit?
Thanks (sorry for being a pain)
I will start to chill out a bit now spiderj :) However, one last question....I am thinking of going to the interview dressed up with shirt, tie and trousers. Is that enough or shall I bother going with a suit?
Thanks (sorry for being a pain)
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
I wouldn't wear a suit it's a bit too formal for the job, the only time you really see people wearing suits in RM is top level management.
Black shoes/trousers +shirt/tie of your choice is ideal.
Black shoes/trousers +shirt/tie of your choice is ideal.
-
kiltwalker
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 17 Apr 2015, 14:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
I just sat my interview a couple of weeks ago...
It was fairly informal tbh, which put me at ease (I wore suit trousers, shirt and tie, with a casual jacket)
One interviewer (DOM?) And another, taking notes.
Questions included:
Can you tell me about a time when you've had to change plans suddenly at work; What vehicle checks would you carry out before taking charge of it; Can you tell me how you've dealt with a customer complaint; How have you worked as part of a team to complete a job...etc.
Fairly usual competency-based stuff - there will be more examples of Qs on this forum.
Get some examples together, practice the answers out loud in private (this really helps me) and try to make a bit of chat before the interview. (And make sure your mobile is off!)
I didn't ask any questions, as we rambled a bit at the end, but was going to ask how RM had changed after privatisation.
Good luck
It was fairly informal tbh, which put me at ease (I wore suit trousers, shirt and tie, with a casual jacket)
One interviewer (DOM?) And another, taking notes.
Questions included:
Can you tell me about a time when you've had to change plans suddenly at work; What vehicle checks would you carry out before taking charge of it; Can you tell me how you've dealt with a customer complaint; How have you worked as part of a team to complete a job...etc.
Fairly usual competency-based stuff - there will be more examples of Qs on this forum.
Get some examples together, practice the answers out loud in private (this really helps me) and try to make a bit of chat before the interview. (And make sure your mobile is off!)
I didn't ask any questions, as we rambled a bit at the end, but was going to ask how RM had changed after privatisation.
Good luck
-
Dave74
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Thank you very much everyone
-
wabbithunta
- Posts: 872
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Good luck with the interview, and if you get the job, prepare yourself for a few eye-opening moments with regards to DOM's/Managers as well as their take on vans and as to whether they're roadworthy or not!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Smart casual is advised and as already mentioned practice but don't sound as if you're reading a script.
Good luck
You'll need it either way

Good luck
You'll need it either way
I won
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Good luck with the interview.
Think of examples at work when you have worked in a team, on your own, how you managed your time and dealt with unexpected changes at work. Also think about examples of customer service, e.g. dealing with Mr Angry!
If you arent succesfull first time around, do hang in there. That happened to me when I applied last year. Originally was told I wasn't sucessfull, then a few weeks afterwards got told the position I hadn't got had opened up again and if I was interested.
Now I've been in the job 13 months! 
Think of examples at work when you have worked in a team, on your own, how you managed your time and dealt with unexpected changes at work. Also think about examples of customer service, e.g. dealing with Mr Angry!
If you arent succesfull first time around, do hang in there. That happened to me when I applied last year. Originally was told I wasn't sucessfull, then a few weeks afterwards got told the position I hadn't got had opened up again and if I was interested.
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
Don't they do the sorting test anymore?
What I remember of my interview was,
DOM: can you get here for 5am tomorrow? (Ah, the memories of starting at 5am
)
Me:Yes
DOM: See you in the morning then
What I remember of my interview was,
DOM: can you get here for 5am tomorrow? (Ah, the memories of starting at 5am
Me:Yes
DOM: See you in the morning then
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Please help. Interview on Friday and I am stuck
i remember my interview, then about 4 months went past so I figured I hadnt got it and had started a different job, then I get a letter telling me I start at 6 the next Monday morning ... and its been that organised ever since ! :chuckle