ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thinking about handing in my notice...
-
dodgyfootwear
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Thinking about handing in my notice...
Hi guys
I've made the decision that i want to leave Royal Mail in three months time as I have got my old job back. I'm currently off sick (short term) and am due to an interview with the DOM tomorrow.
Can or should i tell them my decision or wait until closer to the date i wish to leave? How long notice to I have to give?
The main reason for me leaving is the amount i get moved and messed around and i fear if they know i am leaving in three months they will make my life hell for the remainder?
Any advice would be great :)
I've made the decision that i want to leave Royal Mail in three months time as I have got my old job back. I'm currently off sick (short term) and am due to an interview with the DOM tomorrow.
Can or should i tell them my decision or wait until closer to the date i wish to leave? How long notice to I have to give?
The main reason for me leaving is the amount i get moved and messed around and i fear if they know i am leaving in three months they will make my life hell for the remainder?
Any advice would be great :)
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
you only have to give a weeks notice, so do just that.
stay for as long as you can and then if it gets too much hand in your notice early if you can live without the wages.
stay for as long as you can and then if it gets too much hand in your notice early if you can live without the wages.
-
dodgyfootwear
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
So don't let them know that i start my new job in 3 months? They give the 'no work out there' bullshit and it would be nice to call their bluff.
As i said, im off sick with the stress this job causes me and due in tomorrow.
Cheers
As i said, im off sick with the stress this job causes me and due in tomorrow.
Cheers
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
Well I don't want to put a dampener on the proceedings but just how secure is your old job. As a matter of interest if you have a reasonable sick/attendance record and you leave in good faith if things don't work out you could always re-apply to RM.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
don't say anything as you only have to give 1 weeks notice so stay on sick then hit them with im giving you a weeks notice to leave and get what you can off them , good luck in your new job.dodgyfootwear wrote:So don't let them know that i start my new job in 3 months? They give the 'no work out there' bullshit and it would be nice to call their bluff.
As i said, im off sick with the stress this job causes me and due in tomorrow.
Cheers
-
dodgyfootwear
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
Thanks :) WHat do you mean by get what you can off them? I don't think i can sit around twiddling my thumbs for 3 months but the job seriously stresses me out and isn't worth the £250 a week.worktotime wrote:don't say anything as you only have to give 1 weeks notice so stay on sick then hit them with im giving you a weeks notice to leave and get what you can off them , good luck in your new job.dodgyfootwear wrote:So don't let them know that i start my new job in 3 months? They give the 'no work out there' bullshit and it would be nice to call their bluff.
As i said, im off sick with the stress this job causes me and due in tomorrow.
Cheers
-
dodgyfootwear
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
I have a trade ;)dvbuk55 wrote:Well I don't want to put a dampener on the proceedings but just how secure is your old job. As a matter of interest if you have a reasonable sick/attendance record and you leave in good faith if things don't work out you could always re-apply to RM.
-
El-Bandito
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 27 Jan 2009, 14:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
If I were in your shoes I would stay on the sick for the next 2 and a half months. State when you will return, on light duties. Then work your notice on holidays that you have aquired whilst on the sick. It's the future. 
Do you seriously think that your manager actually gives a flying fig about you?
Do you seriously think that your manager actually gives a flying fig about you?
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
I would sooner sit at home on pay and stress free , unless you can afford to leave and have no pay till you stat your new job.dodgyfootwear wrote:Thanks :) WHat do you mean by get what you can off them? I don't think i can sit around twiddling my thumbs for 3 months but the job seriously stresses me out and isn't worth the £250 a week.worktotime wrote:don't say anything as you only have to give 1 weeks notice so stay on sick then hit them with im giving you a weeks notice to leave and get what you can off them , good luck in your new job.dodgyfootwear wrote:So don't let them know that i start my new job in 3 months? They give the 'no work out there' bullshit and it would be nice to call their bluff.
As i said, im off sick with the stress this job causes me and due in tomorrow.
Cheers
-
dodgyfootwear
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
El-Bandito wrote:If I were in your shoes I would stay on the sick for the next 2 and a half months. State when you will return, on light duties. Then work your notice on holidays that you have aquired whilst on the sick. It's the future.
Do you seriously think that your manager actually gives a flying fig about you?
-
Scotland1
- Posts: 180
- Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
- Gender: Female
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
As a few have said, stay on sick for 2 months at least then hand in ur notice with 1-2 weeks remaining, do not go back pal
-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
Ask for ill health pay-off, seems to be rife at our main office lately
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Thinking about handing in my notice...
It's all about your new job, that's the ace in the bag.
I quit RM in spectacular fashion some years ago. Pissed off , chite dom all that. I was happy to do it but it cost me dear, lost pension, lost friendly fund and had to live on my savings for a long time. Cost me dear, but I would do it again .Was invited back with a change of Dom. Leave on good terms if you need to and good luck.
I quit RM in spectacular fashion some years ago. Pissed off , chite dom all that. I was happy to do it but it cost me dear, lost pension, lost friendly fund and had to live on my savings for a long time. Cost me dear, but I would do it again .Was invited back with a change of Dom. Leave on good terms if you need to and good luck.