ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Meal Break [Part Timers]

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by deristrong »

I'm a P/Timer [about 6 hrs per day]. I tag on 20 mins MR to the end of my day but thought I saw somewhere that over 5 hrs work meant a 30 min break. Can anyone confirm as I already start earlier than I should and don't want to give more away.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Your meal break entitlement depends on the hours you work. Once you exceed 5 hours at work, you are entitled to 30mins PAID break, if you exceed 7/9 hours you get another 10/20mins respectively.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by deristrong »

Thanks. I exceed 5 hours everyday so should I then be adding 30 mins at the end instead of 20 mins. [It's quite a difference over a week/month/2 years I've been here]
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

The national agreement does not allow you to take more than your outdoor 20mins meal relief off your contract finish time, as far as I'm aware. Use at least 10mins during your working day, perhaps just before leaving the depot to start delivery.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by deristrong »

Ok thanks again. Though I go in early now to try and get out at a reasonable time so having a 10 min break would really piss off my P&L partner.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by NewPostieUK »

deristrong wrote:Thanks. I exceed 5 hours everyday so should I then be adding 30 mins at the end instead of 20 mins. [It's quite a difference over a week/month/2 years I've been here]
Yes, and the person who told you you only get 20 mins should be shot.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

deristrong wrote:Ok thanks again. Though I go in early now to try and get out at a reasonable time so having a 10 min break would really piss off my P&L partner.

I would be really pissed off if I didn't get a break. I am a strange one, I take my break around midday (all 40 minutes) or about 2 hrs into the delivery. Before I used to take it before I went out, now I find I am generally fresher after the break and find its not such a drag to get done.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
deristrong
Posts: 195
Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by deristrong »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
deristrong wrote:Ok thanks again. Though I go in early now to try and get out at a reasonable time so having a 10 min break would really piss off my P&L partner.

I would be really pissed off if I didn't get a break. I am a strange one, I take my break around midday (all 40 minutes) or about 2 hrs into the delivery. Before I used to take it before I went out, now I find I am generally fresher after the break and find its not such a drag to get done.
If I didn't have a partner waiting for me at the end I would have a 10 minute breather in the middle somewhere.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by enskied »

deristrong wrote:Ok thanks again. Though I go in early now to try and get out at a reasonable time so having a 10 min break would really piss off my P&L partner.
But you are not getting ahead or getting the benefit of your break by coming in early...... You are just working for free. Piss your partner off it will do them no harm.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:thumbup
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by GT85 »

I can't take my break whilst I'm out on delivery as if I stopped for 20 mins I would never get going again.
We're all here because we're not all there
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by POSTMAN »

Image
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by Pinky 1 »

GT85 wrote:I can't take my break whilst I'm out on delivery as if I stopped for 20 mins I would never get going again.
It's an age thing :chuckle :wink:
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by hampshireman »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
deristrong wrote:Ok thanks again. Though I go in early now to try and get out at a reasonable time so having a 10 min break would really piss off my P&L partner.

I would be really pissed off if I didn't get a break. I am a strange one, I take my break around midday (all 40 minutes) or about 2 hrs into the delivery. Before I used to take it before I went out, now I find I am generally fresher after the break and find its not such a drag to get done.
You are certainly not a strange one.

My P&L partner works through his break (whilst I am sitting in my car reading the paper) loading the effing van.

You could not make it up.

And he does not claim for it

Happy days
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Meal Break [Part Timers]

Post by BingBong »

one thing that does my head in is people not taking their breaks or thinking they dont have one!
Toon Army!