ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Petitioning RM CEO Moya Greene Pay out my Mum's pension

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Petitioning RM CEO Moya Greene Pay out my Mum's pension

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Petitioning Royal Mail CEO Moya Greene
Pay out my Mum's pension

https://www.change.org/p/royal-mail-pay ... reason_msg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <<< Click to sign

Last year my mum, Barbara McVeigh, was diagnosed with aggressive Pancreatic Cancer and given 4 months to live. Always a giving person, in the midst of her illness she prioritised claiming the rest of her pension to make sure that our family were taken care of once she passed.

Now my mum is gone I haven’t been able to grieve. Instead, I have been battling Royal Mail for the pension she earned as a loyal employee of 20 years.

My mum called Royal Mail asking for the remainder of her pension as soon as she could after she was given the diagnosis, she was informed that all she had to do was send a letter in writing. My husband is disabled, we live off of a small disability allowance. Mum knew that I could barely afford the cost of her care - let alone funeral arrangements. She hoped the money could help during this difficult time.

Unfortunately the cancer moved fast. Royal Mail received mum’s letter in the morning and by the afternoon she was gone.

Now Royal Mail claim that they don't have to pay a penny of Mum's money. They have given a number of different reasons, none of them clear. They have refused to give even a small discretionary amount to help pay for her funeral. For months I have battled with Royal Mail but they continue to insist that they can ignore my mum’s wishes.

At this point she doesn't even have a headstone because I can't afford it. I feel she has been let down by the company that she dedicated years to. She was so loyal but they have shown no loyalty in return.

Big businesses keep putting families like us through this nightmare. But last week I saw Tesco give Martin Craddock’s family his pension after a petition. I hope you will join me, in asking Royal Mail to do the same for us.

Please sign our petition asking Royal Mail to reconsider their decision and pay out the money my mum deserved.

Image

*This picture was taken on Mum's last holiday. She wanted to have at least one holiday with her great-grandson.
LETTER TO
Royal Mail CEO Moya Greene
Pay out my deceased Mum's pension
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Petitioning RM CEO Moya Greene Pay out my Mum's pension

Post by enskied »

I saw this and can not work out the facts.
Did this lady die in service or not ? Was she a CWU member? She would receive help with funeral costs if she was ?
Surely the pension would be paid to her estate even if by probate if there was no will ? Unless she had left the company, Then their is the issue of her RM shares !?

Whatever the circumstances I wonder if the Rowland Hill Fund could help or advise ?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Petitioning RM CEO Moya Greene Pay out my Mum's pension

Post by fishtank »

Obviously there is far more to the story than is given here but the most vital point is that it's not really Royal Mail she's dealing with but the pension board who cannot be influenced by the business and have to follow very strict guidelines which can't include "discretionary payments".

That's not to say RM themselves couldn't step in and make a payment and I make no judgmentd on the rights and wrongs of the case.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Petitioning RM CEO Moya Greene Pay out my Mum's pension

Post by Lincox »

enskied wrote:I saw this and can not work out the facts.
Did this lady die in service or not ? Was she a CWU member? She would receive help with funeral costs if she was ?
Surely the pension would be paid to her estate even if by probate if there was no will ? Unless she had left the company, Then their is the issue of her RM shares !?

Whatever the circumstances I wonder if the Rowland Hill Fund could help or advise ?
Pensions do not form part of your estate. They are written in discretionary trust which allow benefits to be paid without any impact on inheritance tax liabilities. The trust is administered by the trustees of the Royal Mail Pension Fund and it is the trustees who have the discretion to whom they pay the benefits on death to. The member should have made a Nomination Form which provides the trustees of the members wish for the distribution of benefits on the members death. However, although in the majority of cases a members wish will be enacted upon, the trustees do have the power to distribute benefits elsewhere should they consider that to be a more responsible option.