Hi,
I am signed off work as I have a knee injury getting my operation in 3 weeks time . I have spoken to ATOS who have said I'm not fit for work and will see me again 3 weeks post op. My manager turned round 2 weeks ago when I was talking to him saying I no longer have my week I booked as I'm off sick and not allowed to go anywhere !!?? It's my daughters birthday and we are going away to a caravan in Ayr for four days ! I have not heard from him this week until today and says he wants me in for a meeting next week which I knew he would do as I'm meant to be away ! What do I do as I no he is taking the piss. Cheers
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Signed off but holiday next week
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Signed off but holiday next week
In short you can go but I'll be a tricky one if the lino is being silly.
The attendance agreement was posted in another thread a couple of days ago.title home visit while off or similar.
Your meant to get permission to leave the area but how can you work?
The meeting doesn't have to be face to face.
Get your rep on it asap
Obviously you will have issues walking,is your do far from Ayr?
Meeting doesn't have to be in workplace
I'd suggest checking your gp fit note is up to date ,who km WS maybe your gp would approve of you resting in a caravan as the break would be good for your mental health.

The attendance agreement was posted in another thread a couple of days ago.title home visit while off or similar.
Your meant to get permission to leave the area but how can you work?
The meeting doesn't have to be face to face.
Get your rep on it asap
Obviously you will have issues walking,is your do far from Ayr?
Meeting doesn't have to be in workplace
I'd suggest checking your gp fit note is up to date ,who km WS maybe your gp would approve of you resting in a caravan as the break would be good for your mental health.
I won
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Signed off but holiday next week
Get the rep on to it asap. Also you cannot be on sick and annual leave at same time, so it's your turn to play hard ball. Let the dom know in no uncertain terms that you know you are entitled to take that weeks holiday later in the year on top of going away next week
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Signed off but holiday next week
Sick is sick whether you are in Spain or your own back garden. Having a relaxing holiday could aid your recuperation both mentally and physically. Receiving sick pay does not mean that you should be confined within the boundaries of your own home. Talk to your DOM again and talk to your Area Rep. Just don't tell them it's a skiing holiday.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Signed off but holiday next week
There are two situations that need to be addressed here in order for you to have your holiday and keep yourself in the clear.themolsshow wrote:Hi,
I am signed off work as I have a knee injury getting my operation in 3 weeks time . I have spoken to ATOS who have said I'm not fit for work and will see me again 3 weeks post op. My manager turned round 2 weeks ago when I was talking to him saying I no longer have my week I booked as I'm off sick and not allowed to go anywhere !!?? It's my daughters birthday and we are going away to a caravan in Ayr for four days ! I have not heard from him this week until today and says he wants me in for a meeting next week which I knew he would do as I'm meant to be away ! What do I do as I no he is taking the piss. Cheers
1) As OH Assist has already confirmed that you are unfit for work for3 weeks and you have already lodged the GP fit note to RM then it is now a matter of remaining in contact with RM while this fit note is still active and conforming to the guidelines of the attendance procedure f or maintaining contact. Because you have decided to take a brief holiday within the sick note dates you have to inform your manager of you intentions which you quite rightly done but manager is being awkward. You if you wish to cover the Ayr break within the dates of the sick note should try to make contact with OH Assist and explain to them that your holiday is for a rest and assist you before your operation as there is no continuous walking involved and have your leave entitlement credited to you at a later date. If sanctioned by OH Assist your manager would have difficulty in not allowing this.
2) In order to appease your manager you can go on your holiday break and have the time taken from your annual leave.
Get union rep involved and hope scenario 1 is completed.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Signed off but holiday next week
I'm pretty sure it's the conditions for sick pay policy that states that you need permission to be away from your normal place of residence...as opposed to the attendance agreement.
There is a difference when dealing with these cases. In a worst case scenario they can...stop your sick pay but there is no disciplinary fallout to be had. They don't often stop pay, It's a s**t load of paperwork for the poor dears and in 99% of cases the sick pay gets re-instated anyway after a quick call to the Area Rep. Stupid is as stupid does though.....
There is a difference when dealing with these cases. In a worst case scenario they can...stop your sick pay but there is no disciplinary fallout to be had. They don't often stop pay, It's a s**t load of paperwork for the poor dears and in 99% of cases the sick pay gets re-instated anyway after a quick call to the Area Rep. Stupid is as stupid does though.....
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
ganda
- Posts: 131
- Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Signed off but holiday next week
Sick pay policy conditions state:
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... hp?id=8861An absent employee shall remain at their normal home address (other than to
receive in-patient treatment) unless they have consent of their line or local
personnel manager