ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Election Fuss
-
deristrong
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
- Gender: Male
Election Fuss
Where's all the usual complaints about having to deliver right wing material? Have we all gone soft?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Election Fuss
Only 8 BNP, 7 National Front, and 32 English Democrats (1 of those in Wales) and 1 Independent Nationalist, are standing as candidates so there won't be much Far right material anyway. Unless you count UKIP, but for all their faults I can't see even many far left posties refusing to deliver them, I haven't.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
I just deliver it, not read it. Unless it puts you in danger (like delivering bright red Labour stuff on some of the loops I do...
) I don't think I have the right to decide what 5 or 600 voters get to read on my round(s). It's a democracy so all voters should have equal access to all lawful election material.
On that subject, have any of you people had election material returned via stuffing it in post boxes so you retrieve it on collections?
So far had 3 Labour 'posted' back, 1 UKIP and no Con/LD. Is that a magic sign? Are we due another 5 years of Cameron/Clegg coalition?
On that subject, have any of you people had election material returned via stuffing it in post boxes so you retrieve it on collections?
So far had 3 Labour 'posted' back, 1 UKIP and no Con/LD. Is that a magic sign? Are we due another 5 years of Cameron/Clegg coalition?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Election Fuss
bustedflush wrote:I just deliver it, not read it. Unless it puts you in danger (like delivering bright red Labour stuff on some of the loops I do...) I don't think I have the right to decide what 5 or 600 voters get to read on my round(s). It's a democracy so all voters should have equal access to all lawful election material.
.......... and that is the central point of the "conscience clause".
Its only caused the "conscience clause" because of the "against your beliefs" section. Me being a lefty, and ex-forces (a stranger beast you'll never meet) even though I hate BNP, and the Far Right, I will always defend people's rights to make a democratic decision based on their conscience and beliefs, even if I think the party itself is worth of derision and disapprobation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
Can you refuse to deliver labour leaflets ?
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
Any Tory literature goes straight in the recycling bin. Actually most election material from any party does.bustedflush wrote:On that subject, have any of you people had election material returned via stuffing it in post boxes so you retrieve it on collections?
So far had 3 Labour 'posted' back, 1 UKIP and no Con/LD. Is that a magic sign? Are we due another 5 years of Cameron/Clegg coalition?
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
TBT a lot of ex-forces people are left wing, though a lot are right wing too.TrueBlueTerrier wrote: Me being a lefty, and ex-forces (a stranger beast you'll never meet)
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Election Fuss
baldrick wrote:TBT a lot of ex-forces people are left wing, though a lot are right wing too.TrueBlueTerrier wrote: Me being a lefty, and ex-forces (a stranger beast you'll never meet)
In my DO at least I am the only 1 - 3 are UKIP, 1 - EDL a couple of Tories and a smattering of Labour (or Tory-lite)
Yes, if they are against your beliefs or you feel your safety would be threatened if you did.PHARRY wrote:Can you refuse to deliver labour leaflets ?
There are some Posties who because they are standing in elections can't deliver other parties literature. The Managers have to accommodate that I believe because of election law - but thats taken from a 3rd party and not something I can say with certainty because I haven't researched it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
Yes TBT I agree generally ex-forces are more right-wing than average people yet due to postings and recruitment of ranks from various Commonwealth/Territories paradoxically have great respect for and experience of people from other races/cultures. This though is usually reserved for those that served rather than generally I find.
I don't know all the stats for ex-forces where I am but I do know UKIP seem popular in the office, LD's never get mentioned, a few people express (surprisingly!) support for Con and there are of course the older dyed-in-the-wool Labour stalwarts who would vote Labour even if Millipede came to their frame every morning and slapped their faces.
You know things are odd when your rep tells you he's going to vote UKIP - and not joking!
I don't know all the stats for ex-forces where I am but I do know UKIP seem popular in the office, LD's never get mentioned, a few people express (surprisingly!) support for Con and there are of course the older dyed-in-the-wool Labour stalwarts who would vote Labour even if Millipede came to their frame every morning and slapped their faces.
You know things are odd when your rep tells you he's going to vote UKIP - and not joking!
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
It's an odd one. Labour would be considered far less controversial and extreme and therefore far more banal than say the BNP so unlike with the BNP you'd have no simple one-line justification to not deliver them - other than you don't personally like them. I detest Labour but I've happily delivered their bright red D2D's (unpaid) and booklets (paid) despite having them grumpily torn-up in front of me followed by a volley of curses (not directed at me though!)PHARRY wrote:Can you refuse to deliver labour leaflets ?
I would be annoyed to know that somebody had voted Labour because they read a leaflet I delivered, but again I treat them all equally. IMO every voter has a right to access ALL election material irrespective of my opinions.
I have been deluged with the buggers this week; some houses had 2 or 3 (addressed) LD's, 2 or 3 (addressed) Cons, a UKIP flyer/poster and 2 or 3 Labour (addressed) all through their door the SAME day......
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Re: Election Fuss
Im happy to deliver any leaflets regardless what party they are, ive far more important things to worry about.
They pay me, i deliver, simples.
They pay me, i deliver, simples.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
Just as a matter of interest. Can posties refuse to deliver election material? I know you mentioned refusing deliver a certain parties election materal, but in general, can a postie refuse to deliver election material?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Election Fuss
Technically yes you can, but you have to have a valid reason. Not wanting to deliver them and not being bothered by the payment are not enough.chrismid259 wrote:Just as a matter of interest. Can posties refuse to deliver election material? I know you mentioned refusing deliver a certain parties election materal, but in general, can a postie refuse to deliver election material?
Valid reasons are
1. Its against your beliefs.
2. You feel threatened.
3. You are a candidate in the area you are delivering in. (not 100% certain)
It would be difficult to come up with a reason not to deliver any election leaflets to all of a duty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
I have personally been delivering the election material, but I wondered as some days some of the fittings still have election material on the fitting desk after most have gone out on their walks. I suppose it could be that some have split the material to deliver over two or three days but some appear to be a full quantity worth of them in a tray etc.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Technically yes you can, but you have to have a valid reason. Not wanting to deliver them and not being bothered by the payment are not enough.chrismid259 wrote:Just as a matter of interest. Can posties refuse to deliver election material? I know you mentioned refusing deliver a certain parties election materal, but in general, can a postie refuse to deliver election material?
Valid reasons are
1. Its against your beliefs.
2. You feel threatened.
3. You are a candidate in the area you are delivering in. (not 100% certain)
It would be difficult to come up with a reason not to deliver any election leaflets to all of a duty.
-
masterblaster
- Posts: 285
- Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
- Gender: Male
Re: Election Fuss
Can I refuse to deliver the Horse and Hound magazine?PHARRY wrote:Can you refuse to deliver labour leaflets ?