ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by freeindeed »

Hello,

I worked as a postman for 9 months but left in December after getting fed up of being treated so badly (unpaid overtime, refused annual leave, being sent out to the sticks and then not being needed etc etc)

After leaving I asked my manager on several occasions about unpaid annual leave, he said he would pursue it, but nothing has happened. Who do I contact? Can I still claim it?

Many thanks, P.
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by spiderj »

Cheapest way...pay £75 and raise a small claims action.
I won
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by rehabron »

freeindeed wrote:Hello,

I worked as a postman for 9 months but left in December after getting fed up of being treated so badly (unpaid overtime, refused annual leave, being sent out to the sticks and then not being needed etc etc)

After leaving I asked my manager on several occasions about unpaid annual leave, he said he would pursue it, but nothing has happened. Who do I contact? Can I still claim it?

Many thanks, P.
I would contact HR Sheffield either by e-mail or in writing and inform them that your final wage slip failed to include untaken annual leave payment and several requests to your line manager your claim has remained unanswered and you wish a written reply from them on this matter.
Depending on your reply then I would go with the posting from "SpiderJ" and attempt to have this rectified in a small claims court. Before you go down this approach the small claims court will ask if you have made any attempt to solve this matter with the company and you can produce the written reply you have received from HR.
If you are fortunate to win your claim and you are representing yourself or by a friend remember to claim back the court expenses. :nana :nana
freeindeed
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Jan 2014, 17:39
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by freeindeed »

Thanks, does anyone have their email address?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by arnold cheshire »

freeindeed wrote:Hello,

I worked as a postman for 9 months but left in December after getting fed up of being treated so badly (unpaid overtime, refused annual leave, being sent out to the sticks and then not being needed etc etc)

After leaving I asked my manager on several occasions about unpaid annual leave, he said he would pursue it, but nothing has happened. Who do I contact? Can I still claim it?

Many thanks, P.
how much leave did you take from 1st april ?
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

I am looking at maybe leaving my job and I am still owed 13 days from last years holiday allowance which I couldn't take last year so it was rolled over to this years allowance.
If I leave will i be able to claim the 13 days back in pay?
Also how many weeks notice do you have to leave?
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by flaminmoses »

Disgusting if managers still try this trick.
Same happened when i left.
Was owed about 4 weeks because i had accumulated quite a bit whilst off wrongly sacked.

Phoned up the dom regularly as well as HR.

Eventually he caved in.

Its really anoying but it must piss them off if your always on their back.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Carlito wrote:I am looking at maybe leaving my job and I am still owed 13 days from last years holiday allowance which I couldn't take last year so it was rolled over to this years allowance.
If I leave will i be able to claim the 13 days back in pay?
Also how many weeks notice do you have to leave?
Yes you will be entitled to all accrued leave, including any carried over.

1 Payment period for notice - so 1 week for weekly, and 1 month for monthly paid peeps.

But don't forget as you'll be leaving of your own choice you will lose ALL entitlement to the Free Shares.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Carlito wrote:I am looking at maybe leaving my job and I am still owed 13 days from last years holiday allowance which I couldn't take last year so it was rolled over to this years allowance.
If I leave will i be able to claim the 13 days back in pay?
Also how many weeks notice do you have to leave?
Yes you will be entitled to all accrued leave, including any carried over.

1 Payment period for notice - so 1 week for weekly, and 1 month for monthly paid peeps.

But don't forget as you'll be leaving of your own choice you will lose ALL entitlement to the Free Shares.
Yes I understsnd about losing my shares.
When you say accured leave what do you mean?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Carlito wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Carlito wrote:I am looking at maybe leaving my job and I am still owed 13 days from last years holiday allowance which I couldn't take last year so it was rolled over to this years allowance.
If I leave will i be able to claim the 13 days back in pay?
Also how many weeks notice do you have to leave?
Yes you will be entitled to all accrued leave, including any carried over.

1 Payment period for notice - so 1 week for weekly, and 1 month for monthly paid peeps.

But don't forget as you'll be leaving of your own choice you will lose ALL entitlement to the Free Shares.
Yes I understsnd about losing my shares.
When you say accured leave what do you mean?
On the start of the leave year you are entitled to a full years leave, only if you actually stay the full year.

You accrue your entitlement to leave on average by 2.5 days a month. So out of this leave year, at present if you resigned tomorrow ignoring any carried over leave you would have accrued 1.8 days leave. (thats on the assumption you have 30 days leave entitlement)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

I am entitled to 22.5 days a year and I had last week off which is for this years holiday so I still have 17.5 days left for this years entitlement.
Then I am owed 13 days from last year so if I leave in the next few weeks how much will I be able to claim back in money??
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

You'll need to ring HR to get a definitive answer but if you leave soon and have already used 5 days leave, but have only accrued 2.5 - you'll owe them.

However, they may be willing, if you are, to mitigate the amount you owe with some of the 13 days from last year.

Give HR a ring soonest.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

Ok I'll ring HR and see what they say.
When you say only accured 2.5 days what do you mean?
I'm owed 13 days from last years holidays entitlement so I must surely be entitled to claim that back but I can't see any way that I would owe them anything?
The week I had off last week was from this years entitlement.
Thanks
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by arnold cheshire »

Carlito wrote:Ok I'll ring HR and see what they say.
When you say only accured 2.5 days what do you mean?
I'm owed 13 days from last years holidays entitlement so I must surely be entitled to claim that back but I can't see any way that I would owe them anything?
The week I had off last week was from this years entitlement.
Thanks
do you mean the week off last week was from last years ??
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

arnold cheshire wrote:
Carlito wrote:Ok I'll ring HR and see what they say.
When you say only accured 2.5 days what do you mean?
I'm owed 13 days from last years holidays entitlement so I must surely be entitled to claim that back but I can't see any way that I would owe them anything?
The week I had off last week was from this years entitlement.
Thanks
do you mean the week off last week was from last years ??
No the week I had off last week was from this years entitlement, I have recently booked 1 week in June and 1 week in July using last years entitlement and still have 3 days to book using last years owed holiday that is the 13 days I'm owed.