ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Adding more delivery calls!!
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Adding more delivery calls!!
My current HTC duty was setup using their magic computer about a year ago when "methods" arrived at our office. I am suppose to get out before 10am but rarely get out till at least 10 pass. Apart from Mondays (usually), Tuesdays and Saturdays struggle to complete the rest of the week. And if lapsing end up streaming mail to complete! And apart from Monday, Tuesday and Saturday have little or no time to prepare D2Ds. Now from next week I am being given another two roads with about 50 more calls. Plus the existing lapsing of a further 30 calls continues... When I mentioned to the DIM I may well struggle to complete was told effectively I was slow and a guy who did my delivery on my weeks leave was much quicker. He was also about 20 years younger and with decent knees unlike mine! Where do I stand and when I approached our local rep was told to see how it goes! I was told if I do have issues to phone the office while out on delivery. Apart from not having a mobile (I know thats weird!) when I have tried phoning during delivery from a pay phone find no-one ever answers anyway! And all the while you are losing time delivering!
All the other HTC duties are either staying the same or losing bits so feel I am being targeted- or perhaps I really am SLOW!?
All the other HTC duties are either staying the same or losing bits so feel I am being targeted- or perhaps I really am SLOW!?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Who is telling you to stream mail? What exactly are they telling you to stream and does other people in the office stream as well and lastly does the rep know the streaming is going on?
-
bigbazza
- Posts: 113
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 19:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
We used to stream a few months ago but that has just recently got kicked in the head and is was the managers who told us that it wasn't happening again.
A few off us think someone must have emailed the head honcho and the dom got a grilling.

A few off us think someone must have emailed the head honcho and the dom got a grilling.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
No streaming.It isnt for You to decide who does/doesnot get their mail.See Your Rep
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Being instructed to Stream your own duty to get lapsing done? Just say it (e-mail)!
You have so many contract hours and minutes to fill each day, overtime is optional, if lapsing if going to make you go over when you do not want to then use the overrunning procedure.
It would be a reasonable request if a manager asks you stay on your frame prepping, rather than going to IPS/ parcel sorting/ portering, if this means you then have a chance to complete delivery (perhaps including lapsing) and be ready to go home at your contract finish time. I'm not suggesting you suggest this to your manager, personally I would make a point of following the indoor 318 time scheduler to the minute and then ask the manager to make a call on what to do about delivering anything past your contract hours.
Flexing has to be agreed to by you and the manger, it cannot be imposed on you.
You have so many contract hours and minutes to fill each day, overtime is optional, if lapsing if going to make you go over when you do not want to then use the overrunning procedure.
It would be a reasonable request if a manager asks you stay on your frame prepping, rather than going to IPS/ parcel sorting/ portering, if this means you then have a chance to complete delivery (perhaps including lapsing) and be ready to go home at your contract finish time. I'm not suggesting you suggest this to your manager, personally I would make a point of following the indoor 318 time scheduler to the minute and then ask the manager to make a call on what to do about delivering anything past your contract hours.
Flexing has to be agreed to by you and the manger, it cannot be imposed on you.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
We have a couple of rounds with new-builds on that now are inhabited and exceed the calls on the lapsing before they were built. The rep is on one of them so refuses the lapsing every day citing this as a reason, and the other is still lapsed hoping that the ignorance of those covering it will make them take the lapsing. The workload is nigh on impossible nowadays what with daily collections, lapsing 6 days a week during the second busiest period of the year after Christmas (Mar-May) whereas last year at this time it was only TU/FR/SA lapsing. Arguments over lapsing take place almost daily and the stress of this adds to the physical toil necessary.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
The streaming of DSA mail was approved by one of the many DIMS at our office. But with or without lapsing I have found this round gives very little room for adding more streets. On light days (Tuesday) I get back on average at 13.40 for a 14.15 finish. Allowing me to prepare some D2D. From Wednesday onwards till Friday I get back on average at 14.00 or later and once I have dealt with any returned parcels etc I am out that door at 14.15! So short of a miracle cannot see how adding 50+ calls is going to help to get back on time!
I suppose the best way to approach it is to carry on to the bitter end for a week or so and that will give me a guide as to how much can be achieved. Ironically with all this current election material you have at the moment I won't even be able to book any OT as they can say the election material made me late and I am already getting a payment for that!
I suppose the best way to approach it is to carry on to the bitter end for a week or so and that will give me a guide as to how much can be achieved. Ironically with all this current election material you have at the moment I won't even be able to book any OT as they can say the election material made me late and I am already getting a payment for that!
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Ahh Yes.The latest thing is to try and get You to do the lapsing first and then do the duty You are signed into or are on.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Poker face, show no emotional attachment to your own duty, if you want to work to your contract time and doing both would make you go over.scoobydo79 wrote:Ahh Yes.The latest thing is to try and get You to do the lapsing first and then do the duty You are signed into or are on.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
What is banking of hours? We've been told when we do overtime it will be taken off us any day if we are before our time . Thought they could only claim back half hour . Some of us now don't go over at all and if they want to keep us in the office on a Saturday if we are by chance before our time that is no problem . Rather do that ,than be out on street whatever time . Most don't work there day off now coz A. Coz the jobs so knackering b . Coz they treat you like rubbish .
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Banking of hours is not allowed. The DIM is trying it on. If you get back early and the DIM doesn't request you do some households or a quick loop or whatever and allows you to go home you are deemed to have worked your hours as far as I'm aware. They tried that one week at my office and never did it again....Chelseablue wrote:What is banking of hours? We've been told when we do overtime it will be taken off us any day if we are before our time . Thought they could only claim back half hour . Some of us now don't go over at all and if they want to keep us in the office on a Saturday if we are by chance before our time that is no problem . Rather do that ,than be out on street whatever time . Most don't work there day off now coz A. Coz the jobs so knackering b . Coz they treat you like rubbish .
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Busted we've bin told that they will make us sit in the office until our time even if it means doing nothing until our time . Our rep says they can tk overtime from us , always States the swings n roundabout pi sh .
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
as long as you are happy to wait till your time expires, sit there and do nothing then. The problem will be those who run like loons because they have made plans during their duty times or mistakenly believe job and finish still exists.Chelseablue wrote:Busted we've bin told that they will make us sit in the office until our time even if it means doing nothing until our time . Our rep says they can tk overtime from us , always States the swings n roundabout pi sh .
remember the phrase " if YOU show capacity to accept extra work, extra work will be found" and see if it applies to you.
Duties are planned using a system that does not require you or me to run around, so if someone chooses to run or jog or whatever this is their choice and they will by default show capacity to accept extra workload. This is not a punishment just the business getting its 7hrs and 08 from us.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
Hahahaha, best side-splitter I've heard in ages...bogstandard wrote:as long as you are happy to wait till your time expires, sit there and do nothing then. The problem will be those who run like loons because they have made plans during their duty times or mistakenly believe job and finish still exists.Chelseablue wrote:Busted we've bin told that they will make us sit in the office until our time even if it means doing nothing until our time . Our rep says they can tk overtime from us , always States the swings n roundabout pi sh .
remember the phrase " if YOU show capacity to accept extra work, extra work will be found" and see if it applies to you.
Duties are planned using a system that does not require you or me to run around, so if someone chooses to run or jog or whatever this is their choice and they will by default show capacity to accept extra workload. This is not a punishment just the business getting its 7hrs and 08 from us.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Adding more delivery calls!!
So what is my best option in tackling this increase in my round? I would not consider myself slow and don't stop once out on delivery but still find it tight to complete for the 14.13 finish on the heavier days. Looking at the "Overrunning deliveries" document it still comes across as it must be the OPG's fault with reference to the conduct code and other language. This particular DIM is not remotely flexible and clearly if under pressure from above likes to apply that pressure to the staff in the office. But not all staff! Those who come in early and work their days off seem exempted
All I want is to do my working day and go home on time. Not expect arguments which you can never win and pressure to carry on till the bitter end and get hassle if you claim OT! I have started to involve the local rep but he seems fairly weak and overall backs these changes. Yet when he was on the same round over a year ago and before coming a rep used to leave the top two rows and D2D stacked up!
All I want is to do my working day and go home on time. Not expect arguments which you can never win and pressure to carry on till the bitter end and get hassle if you claim OT! I have started to involve the local rep but he seems fairly weak and overall backs these changes. Yet when he was on the same round over a year ago and before coming a rep used to leave the top two rows and D2D stacked up!