https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2015/04/testing-pdas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frontline colleagues are testing the software for our new PDAs ahead of the roll out of the devices later this year.
Employees from across the business are being invited to take part in ‘usability testing’ to ensure the new software is easy to understand, quick-to-use and does the job well.
They are putting the software through its paces on a series of everyday tasks which the new PDA will be used for.
Their feedback is then being recorded and used to improve the software, which is based on the Android smartphone operating system.
Futuristic
The IT Operations team running the tests use eye-tracking software to ensure the PDA screens are easy to navigate and colleagues look at the most important part of each screen every time.
Sheth Hanif, a reserve collections driver with 16 years’ experience, was the first among dozens of colleagues to test the new software. He uses the current PDA every day.
He said: ‘It’s really reassuring to know that frontline people are getting a say in this.
‘My feedback was that the screens need to be as simple as possible to avoid any confusion.
Get the job done
‘There should also be as few screens as possible to click through to get the job done.
‘It’s also the first time I’ve seen the PDA itself. I’m glad it’s rugged but not too big. We have enough to carry with van keys and pillar box keys etc.
‘My mates know I’m getting an early look at the PDA so I’m sure they’ll grill me when I get back.
Ian Robinson, a business solutions analyst and member of the Ops technology team running the tests, said they were getting valuable feedback.
He said: ‘The testing is going really well. We have had comments which will allow us to make the screen layout and the user experience even better.’
‘We’re really grateful for the input the frontline colleagues are giving us.’
See the April edition of Courier for a full report on PDA software testing.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its paces
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its paces
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its pa
I've yet to be impressed by Royal mails attempts at technology,we've been waiting for 3 years to get 2 sets of keys for most of the vans at our DO,still I live in hope.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
enskied
- Posts: 1877
- Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its pa
How far can it be thrown in frustration ?
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its pa
And die in despair.DB1100 wrote:I've yet to be impressed by Royal mails attempts at technology,we've been waiting for 3 years to get 2 sets of keys for most of the vans at our DO,still I live in hope.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its pa
Ha ha ,good add on.rubberbond wrote:And die in despair.DB1100 wrote:I've yet to be impressed by Royal mails attempts at technology,we've been waiting for 3 years to get 2 sets of keys for most of the vans at our DO,still I live in hope.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: Frontline colleagues put new(PDA)software through its pa
well I hope it's better than the old ones, I rang 999 yesterday on my PDA while it was in my pouch!! all I could hear was a little voice.
needless to say I cut that call off pretty quickly
needless to say I cut that call off pretty quickly