ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
In need of advice.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
In need of advice.
Hi just need a bit of help. I got a hernia operation at the end of this month and I took my letter in today to show my manager the date I'm having it done. Well after my delivery he took me into the office today to chat about it. He said to me after 3 days after my op he wants me for me to either go into work to speak to him or he will come to my house. And he said he will refer me to atos to get me on a 6 to 8 week rehabilitation to get me back to full delivery.
He said he don't want me to have a long absence off because I'm on a temporary contract even though when I got home my contract says long term on it which in my eyes that permanent, if I'm wrong please let me know. But when I had my consultation in January The doctor said I will need at least a month off work. Is my manager trying to scare me into going back to work earlier than I should? I am planning on having the full month off and will make sure I have a sick note.
He said he don't want me to have a long absence off because I'm on a temporary contract even though when I got home my contract says long term on it which in my eyes that permanent, if I'm wrong please let me know. But when I had my consultation in January The doctor said I will need at least a month off work. Is my manager trying to scare me into going back to work earlier than I should? I am planning on having the full month off and will make sure I have a sick note.
-
The_Wax_Man
- Posts: 191
- Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
Who do you trust with your health/advice/knowledge of procedures /recovery
A: Your Doctor
B: Your Dom
Tick a box and take it from there. If you have an active Sick note to cover your time off from a registered GP then RM cannot do nothing.
They will of course do the time honored tradition of trying to hassle you back to work including threats of warning stages etc. the DOM/Managers can come to your house anytime, just ask then how many sugars when they knock on the door.
A: Your Doctor
B: Your Dom
Tick a box and take it from there. If you have an active Sick note to cover your time off from a registered GP then RM cannot do nothing.
They will of course do the time honored tradition of trying to hassle you back to work including threats of warning stages etc. the DOM/Managers can come to your house anytime, just ask then how many sugars when they knock on the door.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
I'm not wasting my sugar lol it what I thought thanks for the reply. Is my contract a permanent one?
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
I am off at the moment after an operation on my hand and the surgeon said 3 weeks off on my sicknote.
As expected after a week get a call from the DOM asking me to come in on light duties and they will get contact with ATOS.
I then said to the DOM I am signed off for 3 weeks and if he can get my sicknote changed by the surgeon I would come in.
Suddenly the line went dead
As expected after a week get a call from the DOM asking me to come in on light duties and they will get contact with ATOS.
I then said to the DOM I am signed off for 3 weeks and if he can get my sicknote changed by the surgeon I would come in.
Suddenly the line went dead
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
yes mine also says long term and that was 20yrs agoCPTNemoUK wrote:I'm not wasting my sugar lol it what I thought thanks for the reply. Is my contract a permanent one?
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
Thank you for the replys, I'm just going to have my op get my sick note and put my feet up for the month. If he comes knocking I will tell him doctors orders and I'm not coming in till the doc tells me too.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
As far as I'm aware, he cannot refer you to ATOS without your approval.CPTNemoUK wrote:Hi just need a bit of help. I got a hernia operation at the end of this month and I took my letter in today to show my manager the date I'm having it done. Well after my delivery he took me into the office today to chat about it. He said to me after 3 days after my op he wants me for me to either go into work to speak to him or he will come to my house. And he said he will refer me to atos to get me on a 6 to 8 week rehabilitation to get me back to full delivery.
He said he don't want me to have a long absence off because I'm on a temporary contract even though when I got home my contract says long term on it which in my eyes that permanent, if I'm wrong please let me know. But when I had my consultation in January The doctor said I will need at least a month off work. Is my manager trying to scare me into going back to work earlier than I should? I am planning on having the full month off and will make sure I have a sick note.
How can he tell that you specifically will be ready for full duties again in 6 to 8 weeks after the operation? Is he a surgeon and a psychic?
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
Re: In need of advice.
Come on, you know as well as I do that all surgeons and consultants in the UK contact their local RM Delivery Office when they need a second opinion. The government could save the country billions of £££s a year by scrapping the NHS and replacing it with RM DOMs. I'm sure they could absorb the extra time required as apparently, a 15 minute consultation only take 10 seconds.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
Is he a surgeon and a psychic?
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
I've been signed off sick for the past 2 weeks and got a letter in the post this morning summoning me to go in for an absence/back to work interview tomorrow. I've got a sick note to cover me until Monday and that's when I'm going back into work so what's the point of going in tomorrow? Surely if you've got a sick note they shouldn't be allowed to make you go in? The first couple of days I was off I had numerous text messages and even had 2 different managers ring me. It just seems like harassment to me, the last thing you need when you're not feeling well.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
After your hernia operation the consultant will issue with a medical certificate/fit note for a length of time that he/she feels is an adequate RECOVERY TIME that is required for your condition before any contemplation of a rehabilitation programme is commenced and due to he nature of your work will state UNFIT FOR WORKCPTNemoUK wrote:Hi just need a bit of help. I got a hernia operation at the end of this month and I took my letter in today to show my manager the date I'm having it done. Well after my delivery he took me into the office today to chat about it. He said to me after 3 days after my op he wants me for me to either go into work to speak to him or he will come to my house. And he said he will refer me to atos to get me on a 6 to 8 week rehabilitation to get me back to full delivery.
He said he don't want me to have a long absence off because I'm on a temporary contract even though when I got home my contract says long term on it which in my eyes that permanent, if I'm wrong please let me know. But when I had my consultation in January The doctor said I will need at least a month off work. Is my manager trying to scare me into going back to work earlier than I should? I am planning on having the full month off and will make sure I have a sick note.
You at the expiry of this unfit for work note can return to your GP and have this extended or can have other relevant boxes on the fit note ticked for mending your return to work under certain conditions
This length of absence time may not meet with your DOM'S approval and with your consent can seek alternative advice from another source which would be OH Assist their occupational health provider for their advice or recommendations on how best to achieve an earlier return to work.
OH Assist would be well aware of the duties at RM and the various equipment that has to be lifted or pushed and they would have their own list for healing time required for each medical condition so for DOM to state a 6 to 8 week rehabilitation programme is not his/her call.
It I part of the attendance procedure that contact is maintained and you can come to a mutual agreement with regards to your condition how best this can be maintained if unable to visit office.
-
suz67
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 10 Mar 2010, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
I have had two inguinal hernia ops,both sides done,and I can assure you,you won,t be going any where after three days,after the first one I went back after two weeks and that was way to early,after the second one I stayed off for a month and then went back for two weeks light duties and everything was fine,bit of advice,hospital will give you three types of painkillers,unless it's really painful stay off the ones with codeine in them,causes constipation,and before you go in nip to chemist and get a good supply of lactalose solution,don,t ask me why I know!!!
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
Don't worry I pulled my back a few weeks ago and I was put on codeine and diazepam so had experience not so long ago. The worst part to me was coming off them it made me feel depressed for a day or sosuz67 wrote:I have had two inguinal hernia ops,both sides done,and I can assure you,you won,t be going any where after three days,after the first one I went back after two weeks and that was way to early,after the second one I stayed off for a month and then went back for two weeks light duties and everything was fine,bit of advice,hospital will give you three types of painkillers,unless it's really painful stay off the ones with codeine in them,causes constipation,and before you go in nip to chemist and get a good supply of lactalose solution,don,t ask me why I know!!!
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Re: In need of advice.
Thank you for your reply the only person I'm going to listen to is the doctor. When they say I can go back is the day I will step foot back into to office.rehabron wrote:After your hernia operation the consultant will issue with a medical certificate/fit note for a length of time that he/she feels is an adequate RECOVERY TIME that is required for your condition before any contemplation of a rehabilitation programme is commenced and due to he nature of your work will state UNFIT FOR WORKCPTNemoUK wrote:Hi just need a bit of help. I got a hernia operation at the end of this month and I took my letter in today to show my manager the date I'm having it done. Well after my delivery he took me into the office today to chat about it. He said to me after 3 days after my op he wants me for me to either go into work to speak to him or he will come to my house. And he said he will refer me to atos to get me on a 6 to 8 week rehabilitation to get me back to full delivery.
He said he don't want me to have a long absence off because I'm on a temporary contract even though when I got home my contract says long term on it which in my eyes that permanent, if I'm wrong please let me know. But when I had my consultation in January The doctor said I will need at least a month off work. Is my manager trying to scare me into going back to work earlier than I should? I am planning on having the full month off and will make sure I have a sick note.
You at the expiry of this unfit for work note can return to your GP and have this extended or can have other relevant boxes on the fit note ticked for mending your return to work under certain conditions
This length of absence time may not meet with your DOM'S approval and with your consent can seek alternative advice from another source which would be OH Assist their occupational health provider for their advice or recommendations on how best to achieve an earlier return to work.
OH Assist would be well aware of the duties at RM and the various equipment that has to be lifted or pushed and they would have their own list for healing time required for each medical condition so for DOM to state a 6 to 8 week rehabilitation programme is not his/her call.
It I part of the attendance procedure that contact is maintained and you can come to a mutual agreement with regards to your condition how best this can be maintained if unable to visit office.