Recently gone sick with depression and stress, what can I expect during this process?
What kind of rights do I have? Any help welcome thanks.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Sick leave - What to expect?
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
1) For your first 7 days of absence you will have to complete a self - certificate. For periods over 7 days you will require a GP fit note which your GP should tick the relevant boxes concerning your medical condition mainly unfit for work or a return to work with adjustments.Wuku wrote:Recently gone sick with depression and stress, what can I expect during this process?
What kind of rights do I have? Any help welcome thanks.
2) Set up contact arrangements with your employer as per the attendance agreement by keeping in communication with your line manager and giving updates on your condition.
3) Periods over 14 days are classed as long term sick by RM and you will be contacted by them to give your consent for them to refer you to OH Assist their occupational health provider for their recommendations on how RM should handle your medical condition. This will mean a 20 minute telephone assessment by OH Assist and their report will be sent to RM within hours and you will receive a copy of their report. It could mean remain sick or return to work on adjusted hours over a set period.
4) Now this is where the problems start if your GP fit note contradicts the recommendations of the OH Assist report as your employer is not obliged to accept the instructions on your GP fit note in favour of the OH Assist report and can overrule your GP fit note while still active.
5) Best policy is to see how your circumstances are progressing, remain in contact with line manager and also your union rep.
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
Thanks for your help Rehabron. I understand the sickness process as I have many years service. I should have been clearer, I meant what can I expect in relation to depression/stress. Do I have to physically come into the office for meetings, or can I make it phone calls only? How long would I need to be off before they try to get rid of me? What help can I expect from OH assist? I've never been long term sick before, and I hope I don't need to be now, but things are really tough at the moment.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
You do not have to go to the office as long s you have a mutual agreement how contact is to be maintained a possibility is that line manager may visit you at home with your agreement.Wuku wrote:Thanks for your help Rehabron. I understand the sickness process as I have many years service. I should have been clearer, I meant what can I expect in relation to depression/stress. Do I have to physically come into the office for meetings, or can I make it phone calls only? How long would I need to be off before they try to get rid of me? What help can I expect from OH assist? I've never been long term sick before, and I hope I don't need to be now, but things are really tough at the moment.
As you have stated that you have many years service and you have not been long term sick before then there is no hard and fast rule in your absence period that they would want to get rid of you.
RM will be governed by what OH Assist recommend on the best approach with someone with your medical condition.
I know that sometimes OH Assist get bad reports but if you open up to them you might find them to sympathetic and understanding.
Would need to check if your condition is covered by the Equality Act and will get back or someone can post.
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
Download this booklet and have a good read, it will definitely help you out
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... da#p428164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... da#p428164" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
Thanks for the help guys, really appreciated.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
rehabron wrote:This will mean a 20 minute telephone assessment by OH Assist and their report will be sent to RM within hours and you will receive a copy of their report. It could mean remain sick or return to work on adjusted hours over a set period.Wuku wrote:Recently gone sick with depression and stress, what can I expect during this process?
What kind of rights do I have? Any help welcome thanks.
4) Now this is where the problems start if your GP fit note contradicts the recommendations of the OH Assist report as your employer is not obliged to accept the instructions on your GP fit note in favour of the OH Assist report and can overrule your GP fit note while still active.
I have never been on sick long term but how can someone realistically assess someone's medical condition over the telephone??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
I've just been off for a few days, I've done my back and can barely move. On the first day off I had 2 managers ring me up putting pressure on me to go in despite not being able to walk and having to crawl up the stairs. It's still no better so it looks like I'll be getting a sick note on Monday. Not looking forward to all the pressure which I'm going to get when I ring and tell them I won't be in again.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
See your gp,get note.Wuku wrote:Recently gone sick with depression and stress, what can I expect during this process?
What kind of rights do I have? Any help welcome thanks.
Follow gp instructions.
Keep in contact with lino etc.
Follow gp Instructions!
Ignore pleas to return early.
Go a walk,watch TV,read a book.
Ignore the pleas to return early.
Call HELP,ask for oh assist refferall.
Take each day as it comes.
Ignore..............
You've one responsibility,one person to care about first.
YOU.
Depression is a bugger,I'm bi polar,I'm up then down occasionally level.
Look after you and follow your gp mate,everything else is just stuff, things to be dealt with,mental illness can be lived with..its just harder because no one can see it.
I won
-
Wuku
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 15 Feb 2012, 20:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Sick leave - What to expect?
Thanks spiderj, makes me feel a bit better about being off.