ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dash cams

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Dash cams

Post by dave72 »

Isn't it about time the vans were fitted with these?

Today I had a dozy sod pull out in front of me causing me to swerve and nearly mount the kerb :shock:

I pulled up behind them when they stopped and asked what they were playing it and it isn't hard to see a big red van coming towards you, they tried blaming me! So I said OK, I'll check the dash cam and they soon changed their tone and became very sheepish and wanted to get away pretty sharpish

These would cover us and protect our license imo
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Dash cams

Post by Lounge Lizard »

But wouldn't it just show a bundle of mail ? :shock: :cuppa
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by datasaint »

dave72 wrote:Isn't it about time the vans were fitted with these?

Today I had a dozy sod pull out in front of me causing me to swerve and nearly mount the kerb :shock:

I pulled up behind them when they stopped and asked what they were playing it and it isn't hard to see a big red van coming towards you, they tried blaming me! So I said OK, I'll check the dash cam and they soon changed their tone and became very sheepish and wanted to get away pretty sharpish

These would cover us and protect our license imo
Dash cams are as likely to self-incriminate as well. Can you imagine a vehicle audit and them watching back the footage.
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: Dash cams

Post by glenfiddich »

ive used one and was going to edit it down and post it on youtube but nothing happened :d'oh!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

dave72 wrote:Isn't it about time the vans were fitted with these?

Today I had a dozy sod pull out in front of me causing me to swerve and nearly mount the kerb :shock:

I pulled up behind them when they stopped and asked what they were playing it and it isn't hard to see a big red van coming towards you, they tried blaming me! So I said OK, I'll check the dash cam and they soon changed their tone and became very sheepish and wanted to get away pretty sharpish

These would cover us and protect our license imo

So a different slant on your circumstance it would have shown a motorist accidentally pull out in front of you then possibly according to their version of events, you follow him down the road and get out of your van to confront them and being abusive towards them, the motorist then complains to royal mail about a road rage incident, possibility of police being involved licence potentially at risk, then there is bringing royal mail into disrepute conduct code under gross misconduct, at the end of the day a camera could save you but it could very easily be twisted against you by a DOM looking to get rid of someone, it would have been be your word against the motorist but the video would have supported them by showing that you did indeed go to confront them
rusty nails
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 52
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 16:30
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by rusty nails »

At least if vans have a dash cam it might deter people from driving our vans like idiots. One guy I was partnered with drove around like a f*cking maniac and I genuinely feared for my safety. :crazy:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Dash cams

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dave72 wrote:Isn't it about time the vans were fitted with these?

Today I had a dozy sod pull out in front of me causing me to swerve and nearly mount the kerb :shock:

I pulled up behind them when they stopped and asked what they were playing it and it isn't hard to see a big red van coming towards you, they tried blaming me! So I said OK, I'll check the dash cam and they soon changed their tone and became very sheepish and wanted to get away pretty sharpish

These would cover us and protect our license imo
If you had to "swerve and nearly mount the kerb" then maybe you were driving too fast for the conditions or not paying adequate attention. :sad:
Or maybe the "dozy sod" made a genuine mistake, as all of us have done occasionally, in which case what was the sense in asking "what they were playing at"? :no no
And your likely confrontational approach probably resulted in a denial, blaming you, rather than a humble apology. :thumbdown
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by masterblaster »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dave72 wrote:IThese would cover us and protect our license imo
If you had to "swerve and nearly mount the kerb" then maybe you were driving too fast for the conditions or not paying adequate attention. :sad:
Or maybe the "dozy sod" made a genuine mistake, as all of us have done occasionally, in which case what was the sense in asking "what they were playing at"? :no no
And your likely confrontational approach probably resulted in a denial, blaming you, rather than a humble apology. :thumbdown
Yeh you should have apologised for having the audacity to be on the road when the 'dozy sod' wanted to pull out.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by redneck »

rusty nails wrote:At least if vans have a dash cam it might deter people from driving our vans like idiots. One guy I was partnered with drove around like a f*cking maniac and I genuinely feared for my safety. :crazy:
We have several of those types in our DO, get on good with them indoors but they take on a strangely deranged persona behind a wheel to the point that I have had to ask a couple of times to work with someone else, purely because I am a psychological wreck by the time I exit the van at the first loop. :nervous
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Dash cams

Post by Lounge Lizard »

masterblaster wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dave72 wrote:IThese would cover us and protect our license imo
If you had to "swerve and nearly mount the kerb" then maybe you were driving too fast for the conditions or not paying adequate attention. :sad:
Or maybe the "dozy sod" made a genuine mistake, as all of us have done occasionally, in which case what was the sense in asking "what they were playing at"? :no no
And your likely confrontational approach probably resulted in a denial, blaming you, rather than a humble apology. :thumbdown
Yeh you should have apologised for having the audacity to be on the road when the 'dozy sod' wanted to pull out.
Your sarcasm doesn't alter the fact that if another motorist inappropriately pulls out in front of another vehicle this could be a mistake, a momentary lapse of judgement, rather than a deliberate act of selfishness. :shock:
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by Sir Henry »

Image
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by Jpro747 »

Sir Henry wrote:Image
Lol, only in russia!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Dash cams

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Dash cams

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Dash cams

Post by Sir Henry »

Jpro747 wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:Image
Lol, only in russia!
In Soviet Russia pedestrians crash into you!

Not Russian, or a dash cam but worth watching for the sheer incompetence of the moped rider and the poetic justice of the denouement.



Hmmm seems i'm crap at youtube code so here's the link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTgTP304RYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"