ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Take-A-Break

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

Take-A-Break

Post by postmandick »

Simple question ....I think :Very Happy

If your house is on your round or you drive past it, can you take your break at home ?

almost simple question :d'oh!
beezet
Posts: 93
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by beezet »

I do, its called a comfort break :nana ,if you need to go to the toilet, and also to fill up your water bottle[from the tap] if you have one :thumbup [water bottle i mean] :chuckle
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Nothing illegal about it, but to cover yourself get permission to do so.

My own opinion is that whilst it is handy to take a break at home if you can, it can also backfire if you aren't careful about following the rules around mail security etc.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
shepherdess
Posts: 445
Joined: 08 Jul 2009, 16:16
Gender: Female

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by shepherdess »

Whats a break all you get are runners in up out. and if you dare say I'm taking a break your partner loses it big time
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by motherhubbard »

HCT or shared van?

If HCT - where are your Special Deliveries?
In the locked up HCT? - not allowed.
In your house? - not allowed.

Why should van share have the right to have their break at home and not a HCT user?

It used to be considered best practice (where I am anyway) to keep people away from delivering to their own house.
It is never a good idea.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by postmandick »

It all came about because I refused to deliver my flex .... :crazy:

I told my DIM that as overtime is not compulsory I shall not be doing it :Very Happy

and that I shall take my break, as I have for past 20 odd years, and return to the office on time :wave

he said that the others don't take a break and "add it on the end "

I asked him to put that in writing ,,,,,, but I shall still refuse O/T unless the mail drops right off :nana
postmandick
Posts: 76
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 19:35
Gender: Male

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by postmandick »

OK sorry

single van duty 60 miles + rural delivery 200 homes

drive past my house before and when i finish

work my hours and I don't sit in lay-byes
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by Lounge Lizard »

postmandick wrote:Simple question ....I think :Very Happy

If your house is on your round or you drive past it, can you take your break at home ?

almost simple question :d'oh!
break ? :thumbup and maybe breakfast ? :dance :nana :nana
cyclemech1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 334
Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
Gender: Male

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by cyclemech1 »

My house was in the middle of my round (although I didn't deliver to my road) and it was my official 2nd bag drop point.

Really handy, just as I was busting for a pee and also to take 20 minutes for some tea and toast.

Happy days (before P&L obviously)!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

postmandick wrote:OK sorry

single van duty 60 miles + rural delivery 200 homes

drive past my house before and when i finish

work my hours and I don't sit in lay-byes
Definitely get permission to do so. If you pass it before you get to your duty, and after, then technically its off route if you break off from your duty to use it. It also would make the timings of your breaks quite tricky they may insist you take it before delivering or break it up at the same point and at the end of the duty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Lounge Lizard wrote: break ? :thumbup and maybe breakfast ? :dance :nana :nana
I'll have to add Breakfast to the Acronyms list to explain that :wink: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 56&t=68169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by POSTMAN »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: break ? :thumbup and maybe breakfast ? :dance :nana :nana
I'll have to add Breakfast to the Acronyms list to explain that :wink: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 56&t=68169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do it! But as we're a family show...the clean version! :nana
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by Hitcher »

motherhubbard wrote:If HCT - where are your Special Deliveries?
In the locked up HCT? - not allowed.
In your house? - not allowed.
So you aren't allowed a welfare break either then?
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by Lounge Lizard »

POSTMAN wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: break ? :thumbup and maybe breakfast ? :dance :nana :nana
I'll have to add Breakfast to the Acronyms list to explain that :wink: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 56&t=68169" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do it! But as we're a family show...the clean version! :nana
A family show, yes, :Very Happy and it's the 'breakfast' that puts he 'in the family way'. :dance :nana :nana
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Take-A-Break

Post by motherhubbard »

Hitcher wrote:
motherhubbard wrote:If HCT - where are your Special Deliveries?
In the locked up HCT? - not allowed.
In your house? - not allowed.
So you aren't allowed a welfare break either then?
At your own house? I wouldn't recommend it but your home address would have to be in your walk log as the designated toilet facility.
In which case you would have permission.

If ever I need to use a café/pub The HCT isn't left unattended for more than 10 minutes and the SD remain with me.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.