ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
70 hour week
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
70 hour week
Anybody exceeded this limit before, by how much and what was the response?
What I find odd is the Working Time directive makes no mention of it, only you have to opt out if you want work more than 48.
What I find odd is the Working Time directive makes no mention of it, only you have to opt out if you want work more than 48.
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Re: 70 hour week
Sounds like a top earner to me, I have recently enquired about this same subject recently, as it appears to be very selective in a few offices around this neck of the woods, WTDirective holds the field thou, but you can ask to see the evidence on who has "opted" out

-
dave72
- Posts: 415
- Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights
3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)
First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA
They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since
Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas)
3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)
First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA
They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since
Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas)
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
did you actually wake up Christmas daydave72 wrote:I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights
3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)
First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA
They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since
Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas)
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 304
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
Not sure they are cheaper, Ansard pay them £6.70 or thereabouts and pocket the rest, they have some clause that after working something like 16 different weeks then they go on to £10 odds. If the agency worker hasn't worked for 5 weeks then their contract is reset to zero and they have to work up to the bigger wage again, totally taking the piss and agency staff should be banned as its management at Ansard who are raking it in.dave72 wrote:I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights
3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)
First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA
They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since
Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas)
-
calpsy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
I was a 25 hr contract and about 5 years back helped out another office for 3 months .
Worked 6am - 2pm new office and 2pm - 6pm collection for old office Monday - Friday and 6am - 2pm Saturday .
70 hours 2 weeks in a row helping old office with collection . Had to pack in the collections as the 6am - 2pm was almost double my normal hours and I was dying LOL
Good money though as was also getting a good travel allowance too .
Worked 6am - 2pm new office and 2pm - 6pm collection for old office Monday - Friday and 6am - 2pm Saturday .
70 hours 2 weeks in a row helping old office with collection . Had to pack in the collections as the 6am - 2pm was almost double my normal hours and I was dying LOL
Good money though as was also getting a good travel allowance too .
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: 70 hour week
ive never heard of this
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
heard of whatarnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: 70 hour week
the 70 hr weekaiden01 wrote:heard of whatarnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
just ask all the needy or greedyarnold cheshire wrote:the 70 hr weekaiden01 wrote:heard of whatarnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
-
Jefferson Starfish
- Posts: 905
- Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Female
- Location: Greendale DO
Re: 70 hour week
There's a couple of blokes at my office who used to regularly work 80+ hour weeks. Always in on their day off, SA every day and all the OT going and one even worked their holidays. But with cuts, lapsing and the office being a bit better staffed these days a lot of that has gone. Not too sure what they do with themselves anymore!
-
calpsy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
Im glad you added needy . I wasn't needy or greedy when I done it .aiden01 wrote:just ask all the needy or greedyarnold cheshire wrote:the 70 hr weekaiden01 wrote:heard of whatarnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
When I done it the office needed a hand and as I was in a decent office with others actually helping each other out ( and that included the manager ) then I chose to help out .
-
Postal Postie II
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: 70 hour week
If you work for more than 70 hours then RM is supposed to suspend you. EU law has something to do with it.
When I was owed about 30 hours OT the following week they would only pay me for 70 hours and the rest the following week. The reason is the system flags you up for the suspension. (Which I hadn't done because it was OT owed).
When I was owed about 30 hours OT the following week they would only pay me for 70 hours and the rest the following week. The reason is the system flags you up for the suspension. (Which I hadn't done because it was OT owed).
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 70 hour week
Yes, but that's 70dave72 wrote:I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights
3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)
First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA
They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since
Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas)
I doubt if many have done 70 hours out on delivery.