ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

70 hour week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

70 hour week

Post by datasaint »

Anybody exceeded this limit before, by how much and what was the response?

What I find odd is the Working Time directive makes no mention of it, only you have to opt out if you want work more than 48.
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

Re: 70 hour week

Post by Glenno »

Sounds like a top earner to me, I have recently enquired about this same subject recently, as it appears to be very selective in a few offices around this neck of the woods, WTDirective holds the field thou, but you can ask to see the evidence on who has "opted" out :chuckle :wink:
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by dave72 »

I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights

3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)

First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA

They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since

Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas) :cry
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by aiden01 »

dave72 wrote:I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights

3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)

First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA

They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since

Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas) :cry
did you actually wake up Christmas day :nana
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by jimmynailsalive »

dave72 wrote:I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights

3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)

First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA

They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since

Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas) :cry
Not sure they are cheaper, Ansard pay them £6.70 or thereabouts and pocket the rest, they have some clause that after working something like 16 different weeks then they go on to £10 odds. If the agency worker hasn't worked for 5 weeks then their contract is reset to zero and they have to work up to the bigger wage again, totally taking the piss and agency staff should be banned as its management at Ansard who are raking it in. :mad
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by calpsy »

I was a 25 hr contract and about 5 years back helped out another office for 3 months .

Worked 6am - 2pm new office and 2pm - 6pm collection for old office Monday - Friday and 6am - 2pm Saturday .

70 hours 2 weeks in a row helping old office with collection . Had to pack in the collections as the 6am - 2pm was almost double my normal hours and I was dying LOL

Good money though as was also getting a good travel allowance too .
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: 70 hour week

Post by maisymoo04 »

Av done 60 this week :whistle
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: 70 hour week

Post by arnold cheshire »

ive never heard of this
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by aiden01 »

arnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
heard of what
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: 70 hour week

Post by arnold cheshire »

aiden01 wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
heard of what
the 70 hr week
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by aiden01 »

arnold cheshire wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
heard of what
the 70 hr week
just ask all the needy or greedy
Jefferson Starfish
Posts: 905
Joined: 12 Aug 2011, 15:32
Gender: Female
Location: Greendale DO

Re: 70 hour week

Post by Jefferson Starfish »

There's a couple of blokes at my office who used to regularly work 80+ hour weeks. Always in on their day off, SA every day and all the OT going and one even worked their holidays. But with cuts, lapsing and the office being a bit better staffed these days a lot of that has gone. Not too sure what they do with themselves anymore!
calpsy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 491
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by calpsy »

aiden01 wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:ive never heard of this
heard of what
the 70 hr week
just ask all the needy or greedy
Im glad you added needy . I wasn't needy or greedy when I done it .

When I done it the office needed a hand and as I was in a decent office with others actually helping each other out ( and that included the manager ) then I chose to help out .
Postal Postie II
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 92
Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 16:19
Gender: Male

Re: 70 hour week

Post by Postal Postie II »

If you work for more than 70 hours then RM is supposed to suspend you. EU law has something to do with it.

When I was owed about 30 hours OT the following week they would only pay me for 70 hours and the rest the following week. The reason is the system flags you up for the suspension. (Which I hadn't done because it was OT owed).
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 70 hour week

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dave72 wrote:I've done over 70 hour weeks, on nights

3 weeks of 12 hour nights Sunday to Friday and then 10 hours on Saturday night at Leeds MC during Christmas pressure, did this for a few years (about 4)

First 4 hours every night were SA and we got travel and night shift allowances. The whole of Saturday night was SA

They then realised agency staff were cheaper and I've not done it for since

Actually, I miss doing it (it paid for Christmas) :cry
Yes, but that's 70 :cuppa hours in a Mail :cuppa Centre. :Applause
I doubt if many have done 70 hours out on delivery. :thumbdown :no no