ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Commuting

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mailsortdreams
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8
Joined: 19 Jan 2010, 13:58
Gender: Male

Commuting

Post by mailsortdreams »

What's the longest commute anyone does to a delivery office?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Commuting

Post by arnold cheshire »

mailsortdreams wrote:What's the longest commute anyone does to a delivery office?
i suppose this cant be answered i would imagine a few do long commutes to mail centres though
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by jimmynailsalive »

mailsortdreams wrote:What's the longest commute anyone does to a delivery office?
I was 16 miles but I applied to join that particular office because they done a 4 day week and every 3 weeks I was getting a 5 day weekend off :nana

Then they had a revision and I go to one 9 miles away now.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12182
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by SpacePhoenix »

arnold cheshire wrote:
mailsortdreams wrote:What's the longest commute anyone does to a delivery office?
i suppose this cant be answered i would imagine a few do long commutes to mail centres though
Staff at RDCs will probably also have long commutes
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by wannabeek »

Can't exactly call it a commute as it's not my base office, but the furthest office I've been asked to cover was 26 miles away. Added a whole hour of driving time to the start and end of the day! :nana
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Commuting

Post by Lounge Lizard »

wannabeek wrote:Can't exactly call it a commute as it's not my base office, but the furthest office I've been asked to cover was 26 miles away. Added a whole hour of driving time to the start and end of the day! :nana
That's what we could all do with. :thumbup
pod25
Posts: 240
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by pod25 »

Mine is a 31 mile round trip.

However, I do have a women who travels at least a 50 mile round trip. She is not contracted to our office, her base office is probably about a 10 mile round trip.
I never sodding realised that her travelling time to and from our office is counted towards her daily contracted hours, this will be discussed in length at my SI meeting on Tuesday.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by tansorboy »

40 miles round trip every day. I know several people I who do a similar commute. I wish RM would set up a sort of swap list so people could work closer to where they live.
villan
Posts: 79
Joined: 15 Oct 2011, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by villan »

There are people at our delivery office doing 30-40 mile round trips from towns that have their own delivery offices. My local office is easy cycling distance but when I asked for a transfer there my DOM ummed and aaaahed and basically blocked it, even though the local office's DOM had OKed it.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Commuting

Post by tansorboy »

villan wrote:There are people at our delivery office doing 30-40 mile round trips from towns that have their own delivery offices. My local office is easy cycling distance but when I asked for a transfer there my DOM ummed and aaaahed and basically blocked it, even though the local office's DOM had OKed it.
That is what has happened to me too. I am too valuable to lose, apparently...Bugger the fact that I get up earlier than anybody else, get home later than the rest of them, and spend hundreds of pounds each year commuting!