ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Am i in the right ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Am i in the right ?

Post by comeracing »

last week phoned in sick,said I would be back on Monday at the earliest.9.30 am the same day very loud knock on my door,it was our stand in DOM,trying to catch mr out harrassing me to come back to work on light duties,i said no I need to rest my wrist later that day went to docs she said it was sprained,so I got a self cert and took it into work,the next day I got another self cert this time stress,due to this harassment of the dom,i popped that into work as well,there are another 2 members of staff of with stress since we had this stand in/temporary dom what a coincidence ? On Monday I am meeting with the rep to put in a grievance in against this dom,the rep has said he should have NEVER have come round to my home address without ringing me up first,what chance have I got of getting this piece of dead wood out of royal mail,this is my first grievance in nearly 20 years service,managers like this who bully and harass staff need to be booted out.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by Postie45 »

id say you have little chance of "getting rid" of him for 1 offense, however a build up of grievances from others could do it...
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

It will all depend on what exactly he done to try to harass you into coming back and if there are any witnesses to that harassment, as if no witnesses he will just simply say he politely offered you light duties and when you declined he left it at that. He will maybe be told off for going to your door but that would be it
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by comeracing »

zx135 wrote:It will all depend on what exactly he done to try to harass you into coming back and if there are any witnesses to that harassment, as if no witnesses he will just simply say he politely offered you light duties and when you declined he left it at that. He will maybe be told off for going to your door but that would be it
told off for going to my door, I want more than that,that is well out of order as he should have phoned me first surl,can any union rep please back me up I want to know if this dom went against proceure,by bangin on my door,instead of phoneing me.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Part of the absence process for the manager is sending you a day 1 absence letter he can simply say he was hand delivering it and decided to knock your door to see how you were, ie showing a little concern for his staff,

Going by what you are saying I take it that you feel that by coming to your door once after you went sick and didn't actually speak to anyone when you called in to report being sick and just left a message, constitutes harassment that deserves to get him the sack?
comeracing
Posts: 806
Joined: 28 Nov 2010, 20:58
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by comeracing »

zx135 wrote:Part of the absence process for the manager is sending you a day 1 absence letter he can simply say he was hand delivering it and decided to knock your door to see how you were, ie showing a little concern for his staff,

Going by what you are saying I take it that you feel that by coming to your door once after you went sick and didn't actually speak to anyone when you called in to report being sick and just left a message, constitutes harassment that deserves to get him the sack?
zx135 are you real or are you a manager by any chance.I have a very good sick record,when I ring in work and leave a message on the phone stateing my injury and when I will be RETURNING to work,i may expect a phone call within 24 hours,but not a bloody loud bang on my door from the manager,giving me grief,do you understand DOMS going to somebodys house within 4 hours of ringing in sick,is HARRASSMENT. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by rubberbond »

I thought they were supposed to write to you,expressing how upset they were that you weren't well,which they really,really,sincerely mean. Banging on your door strikes me as a bit keen. Perhaps he missed you ,sooooo much,he just had to speak to you.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by motherhubbard »

comeracing wrote: later that day went to docs she said it was sprained,so I got a self cert and took it into work,the next day I got another self cert this time stress,due to this harassment of the dom,i popped that into work as well.
Why would you need to self cert again?
Do they run concurrently?

Are you blowing this up out of all proportion? A man knocks on our door and you need to go sick with stress?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

comeracing wrote:
zx135 wrote:Part of the absence process for the manager is sending you a day 1 absence letter he can simply say he was hand delivering it and decided to knock your door to see how you were, ie showing a little concern for his staff,

Going by what you are saying I take it that you feel that by coming to your door once after you went sick and didn't actually speak to anyone when you called in to report being sick and just left a message, constitutes harassment that deserves to get him the sack?
zx135 are you real or are you a manager by any chance.I have a very good sick record,when I ring in work and leave a message on the phone stateing my injury and when I will be RETURNING to work,i may expect a phone call within 24 hours,but not a bloody loud bang on my door from the manager,giving me grief,do you understand DOMS going to somebodys house within 4 hours of ringing in sick,is HARRASSMENT. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Don't accuse me of being a manager.

Just because he knocked on your door to check on you that doesn't constitute harassment. You are actually being pretty unreasonable by looking to get the guy the sack
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by arnold cheshire »

comeracing wrote:
zx135 wrote:Part of the absence process for the manager is sending you a day 1 absence letter he can simply say he was hand delivering it and decided to knock your door to see how you were, ie showing a little concern for his staff,

Going by what you are saying I take it that you feel that by coming to your door once after you went sick and didn't actually speak to anyone when you called in to report being sick and just left a message, constitutes harassment that deserves to get him the sack?
zx135 are you real or are you a manager by any chance.I have a very good sick record,when I ring in work and leave a message on the phone stateing my injury and when I will be RETURNING to work,i may expect a phone call within 24 hours,but not a bloody loud bang on my door from the manager,giving me grief,do you understand DOMS going to somebodys house within 4 hours of ringing in sick,is HARRASSMENT. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
i think you should have spoke to a manager not left a message but im going to comment on zx135 hes always commenting when posties should be busy
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by jetblack »

The manager knocks on your door within 4 hours of ringing in sick ? Its harassment - and out order IMO..... all things being equal of course.

That is - providing you haven't been taking the piss.

Cos then, well, it wouldn't be. I mean, if you'd just returned from a sickie having just reslated your roof - and been spotted doing so - then you couldn't really complain if the manager was "sceptical".

But, as I say, all things being equal, I'd regard that intrusion as not only out of order, but possibly against the law.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

arnold cheshire wrote:
comeracing wrote:
zx135 wrote:Part of the absence process for the manager is sending you a day 1 absence letter he can simply say he was hand delivering it and decided to knock your door to see how you were, ie showing a little concern for his staff,

Going by what you are saying I take it that you feel that by coming to your door once after you went sick and didn't actually speak to anyone when you called in to report being sick and just left a message, constitutes harassment that deserves to get him the sack?
zx135 are you real or are you a manager by any chance.I have a very good sick record,when I ring in work and leave a message on the phone stateing my injury and when I will be RETURNING to work,i may expect a phone call within 24 hours,but not a bloody loud bang on my door from the manager,giving me grief,do you understand DOMS going to somebodys house within 4 hours of ringing in sick,is HARRASSMENT. :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
i think you should have spoke to a manager not left a message but im going to comment on zx135 hes always commenting when posties should be busy
What's that meant to mean? Always commenting when posties should be busy? what hours are you saying my comments usually fall in?
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

jetblack wrote:The manager knocks on your door within 4 hours of ringing in sick ? Its harassment - and out order IMO..... all things being equal of course.

That is - providing you haven't been taking the piss.

Cos then, well, it wouldn't be. I mean, if you'd just returned from a sickie having just reslated your roof - and been spotted doing so - then you couldn't really complain if the manager was "sceptical".

But, as I say, all things being equal, I'd regard that intrusion as not only out of order, but possibly against the law.
What law would that be breaking? A manager checking on the welfare of his staff by visiting them at home?
jetblack
Posts: 974
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by jetblack »

zx135 wrote:
jetblack wrote:The manager knocks on your door within 4 hours of ringing in sick ? Its harassment - and out order IMO..... all things being equal of course.

That is - providing you haven't been taking the piss.

Cos then, well, it wouldn't be. I mean, if you'd just returned from a sickie having just reslated your roof - and been spotted doing so - then you couldn't really complain if the manager was "sceptical".

But, as I say, all things being equal, I'd regard that intrusion as not only out of order, but possibly against the law.
What law would that be breaking? A manager checking on the welfare of his staff by visiting them at home?
As I say, without due cause to suspect that the sick claim is fraudulent (based on historical precedence) I'd say it could be argued that the managers intrusion not only infringes the employees right to privacy - but that it is actually in breach of the rights laid out in EU directives on the individuals human rights (and rights to privacy).

A manager checking on the welfare of his/her staff ? You're having a laugh, surely :Very Happy

Not without due cause I'm afraid :thumbdown - cos then its harassment.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Am i in the right ?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

jetblack wrote:
zx135 wrote:
jetblack wrote:The manager knocks on your door within 4 hours of ringing in sick ? Its harassment - and out order IMO..... all things being equal of course.

That is - providing you haven't been taking the piss.

Cos then, well, it wouldn't be. I mean, if you'd just returned from a sickie having just reslated your roof - and been spotted doing so - then you couldn't really complain if the manager was "sceptical".

But, as I say, all things being equal, I'd regard that intrusion as not only out of order, but possibly against the law.
What law would that be breaking? A manager checking on the welfare of his staff by visiting them at home?
As I say, without due cause to suspect that the sick claim is fraudulent (based on historical precedence) I'd say it could be argued that the managers intrusion not only infringes the employees right to privacy - but that it is actually in breach of the rights laid out in EU directives on the individuals human rights (and rights to privacy).

A manager checking on the welfare of his/her staff ? You're having a laugh, surely :Very Happy

Not without due cause I'm afraid :thumbdown - cos then its harassment.

That blatantly doesn't apply for several reasons not least because the manager knocked on the door thus respecting his private home