ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How far is too far for other offices?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

How far is too far for other offices?

Post by 2pints »

I woke up to a voicemail this morning informing me am in another office today,this office is 20 miles away from where i live and takes a good 45 min to get to.I rang and said it is too far but was assured it is not.I was told to take my car and claim the mileage back.Is this reasonable?
ratchet
Posts: 210
Joined: 03 Dec 2012, 13:12
Gender: Male
Location: Buggered off to France

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by ratchet »

Nope

I believe the usual way this is dealt with is for you to turn up at your usual place of work (at your usual time), and for them to arrange to transport you to the other office (or give you a van). They will also need to make arrangements for you to be transported back to your usual office to arrive at your usual knocking off time.
I am no longer a number :-)
miles_peters
Posts: 297
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by miles_peters »

yet another example of reserves being treated unfairly. so they need someone to cover a duty who is 20 miles away? that's so bad. This sort of situation could bring up so many issues for a reserve who is placed in that position, and to be left a voicemail instructing them of this is appalling, and of course when the person says 'no' its the usual BS response.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by dave72 »

I would tell them to get stuffed if they said use your own car
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by terry2972 »

Or you could claim £18 for petrol and travelling time say 2hrs that's what I do
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I turn the volume off on my phone at night, was getting too many phone calls to come in as soon as I could when I thought they could reasonably forecast things the day before and maybe I could go to bed an hour earlier so was their loss.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dave72 wrote:I would tell them to get stuffed if they said use your own car

Especially if you have undergone a delivery methods revision as that means the bond has been withdrawn from your office, and commuting on your car insurance only covers you to your NORMAL place of work.
terry2972 wrote:Or you could claim £18 for petrol and travelling time say 2hrs that's what I do
We still have the bond so we are covered as long as you have business use cover.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by terry2972 »

Which I do
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

terry2972 wrote:Which I do
:thumbup
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by 19times »

miles_peters wrote:yet another example of reserves being treated unfairly. so they need someone to cover a duty who is 20 miles away? that's so bad. This sort of situation could bring up so many issues for a reserve who is placed in that position, and to be left a voicemail instructing them of this is appalling, and of course when the person says 'no' its the usual BS response.
Not true, they tried to shaft me this week and force me to work at another office and I've been there 15+ years :sad: got union involved and I didn't go in the end but it was a pisstake really and all to do with them lapsing my walk that I've held for 2+ years.

I have no idea why they thought I'd be ok with that when guys have been in the job for 2 minutes and get to sign for walks and don't get 'asked'

Joke really but told them to :dcfo and very nearly said take me off driving duties but didnt mention the driving bit as I ended up staying in the end.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: How far is too far for other offices?

Post by OnAFlyer »

Before Christmas some of our staff were sent to an office over 40 miles away! They loved it, there and back within duty time so they only had time to do a couple of hours work :cuppa