ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
Hi,
I'm curious as to what jobs and careers have your former colleagues gone into after leaving RM? Looking for a career change but want to be realistic.
Cheers.
I'm curious as to what jobs and careers have your former colleagues gone into after leaving RM? Looking for a career change but want to be realistic.
Cheers.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
Any job will be dependant on either relevant experience and/or qualifications.
-
Dalelad
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
I left in September to be become a bus driver and have no regrets. Stagecoach trained me up and i've been out in service for about 3 months now. No qualifications required. Just a driving licence and willingness to try something different. Good luck with your new career, whatever you decide.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
Yes, there are plenty of driving jobs but most, like taxis and pizza delivery, won't pay much.Dalelad wrote:I left in September to be become a bus driver and have no regrets. Stagecoach trained me up and i've been out in service for about 3 months now. No qualifications required. Just a driving licence and willingness to try something different. Good luck with your new career, whatever you decide.
-
roger
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 148
- Joined: 17 Feb 2007, 18:51
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
If you live in or near London think about becoming a black cab driver.Learning the knowledge is hard but when you pass and have become a cab driver you will wish you had done it years ago.
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 679
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
True Roger. You dont hear of many London black cab drivers who change jobs! Heathrow into town £100. whats not to like.
-
Gold Fox
- Posts: 313
- Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
- Gender: Female
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
Friend of mine left RM about year ago , now he on buses , Stagecoach , he works just under 45 hours a week (Monday to sunday) different duty and shift rota and picks up ( take home ) about £500 per week , No regrets what so ever and he loves it every single minute of it . What S**t going on delivery side and they way managers are behaving , he says he should have gone on buses years ago ....
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
f***in hell !! a wonna for a taxi from heathrow to town. people must have money to burn.Edward Hunter wrote:True Roger. You dont hear of many London black cab drivers who change jobs! Heathrow into town £100. whats not to like.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
Chairman of the Co-operative Group - that's what Allan Leighton will be doing.Jpro747 wrote:Hi,
I'm curious as to what jobs and careers have your former colleagues gone into after leaving RM? Looking for a career change but want to be realistic.
Cheers.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
couple of lads left ours and became coppers
-
postman nel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
I left on IHR almost 18 months ago...knees,back,hip had gone...got a job at the council on the refuse dept...so I'm still out and about ,doing 5 day a week (no weekends)...I'm been on a few manager courses ,and now I'm stand in supervisor when the other supervisors are off...just waiting till a full time position is available..so personally it was the best thing I did 
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
What its down to really is just having the bottle to do it ! There's probably hundreds on this site who would love to leave ( including myself ) iv they wanted to apply for a new job that is 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
19times
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
- Gender: Female
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
I have a few questions If you don't mind (and anyone else who has took this career path)Dalelad wrote:I left in September to be become a bus driver and have no regrets. Stagecoach trained me up and i've been out in service for about 3 months now. No qualifications required. Just a driving licence and willingness to try something different. Good luck with your new career, whatever you decide.
I see Stagecoach are after Trainee and PCV Drivers in my area - closing date late March and would like to know the following answers If possible.
1. I am shocking at Maths
2. Do you do late's or night shift work?
Thanks, getting peed off after 15yrs in the business.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2055
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
Hard to get into but the guys who have left and are train drivers have done well
-
The Quiet Man
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Jobs/Careers after Royal Mail?
I took redundancy 18 months ago without having a clue what I wanted to do - I just knew I had to get out of Royal Mail even after 33 years service.
When compiling a cv, you'll be surprised the skills you've picked up over the years, but it needs a little creativity to make it stand out. One of my friends worked as a Project Manager with an Oil Company and advised me to do an 'Open University' type course on 'Document Control' - it was quite tricky but when you're not working there's plenty of time for you to revise and digest what you're learning. Anyway, it was the best £400 I ever spent as the qualification was like a green flag after putting the cv on a few Oil & Gas Websites.
I had an interview within a week and a second the week after - I got offered the job that afternoon and accepted straight away. My title is 'Production Planner' and is probably one of the lowest paid jobs in the Company but god, what a difference to my working life....my workload is way more manageable and is probably around 30 - 40% of what I was used to. The difference in Management is incredible as you actually feel appreciated and a valued member of the Team. There is also opportunity to further progress, but at the moment I'm content with what I'm doing.
I must add that I did a whole lot of research on the Company before my interviews and also spent time on the internet gaining tips on interviews - remember, I hadn't had an interview for over 30 years and was bricking it!
Anyway, I think I was lucky and would advise that any life changing decision has to be thought through preferably with a Plan for the future.
Good luck.
TQM
When compiling a cv, you'll be surprised the skills you've picked up over the years, but it needs a little creativity to make it stand out. One of my friends worked as a Project Manager with an Oil Company and advised me to do an 'Open University' type course on 'Document Control' - it was quite tricky but when you're not working there's plenty of time for you to revise and digest what you're learning. Anyway, it was the best £400 I ever spent as the qualification was like a green flag after putting the cv on a few Oil & Gas Websites.
I had an interview within a week and a second the week after - I got offered the job that afternoon and accepted straight away. My title is 'Production Planner' and is probably one of the lowest paid jobs in the Company but god, what a difference to my working life....my workload is way more manageable and is probably around 30 - 40% of what I was used to. The difference in Management is incredible as you actually feel appreciated and a valued member of the Team. There is also opportunity to further progress, but at the moment I'm content with what I'm doing.
I must add that I did a whole lot of research on the Company before my interviews and also spent time on the internet gaining tips on interviews - remember, I hadn't had an interview for over 30 years and was bricking it!
Anyway, I think I was lucky and would advise that any life changing decision has to be thought through preferably with a Plan for the future.
Good luck.
TQM