ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

LWTs - any fans out there?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Eastie16
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Jun 2011, 01:03
Gender: Female

LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by Eastie16 »

We're about to start using LWTs and I've been reading through the SSOW and previous posts about their use. (also noted plenty of posts saying that they've long since been consigned to the office junk pile!) I'm on the short and slender side and am concerned that using a LWT is going to be much more testing physically than the HCT loops with bag on shoulder method I use now. Even the unladen weight of LWTs isn't that far off what I'd carry in a bag, so 32KG loaded weight sounds like a lot to lug around, especially in hilly areas. Also seems an incredibly unwieldy piece of kit and, as with HCTs, that becomes even more of an issue when people are taller/shorter than the average. Know that there's an extension handle that can be fitted for tall people, but not much that can be done for shorter ones. So, any positive stories about LWTs? And any advice on whether there's a case for refusing to use one if it's uncomfortable physically? Don't want to wait til I've picked up an injury to make my case. Thanks
lala
Posts: 189
Joined: 19 Oct 2012, 19:57
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by lala »

They definitely take the weight of your back. Less tiring in that way, but I find they stop me walking at a natural stride so more tiring on my legs. Slows you down working, varies on the type of delivery. If you except that you have to use them its no real big deal.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by Shaders »

We started using them a few weeks ago, as LWT go they are quite good, easy to load and run smoothly, but yes, they do slow you down.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by wannabeek »

They're actually really great when it's necessary to use them - like when you have 2 heavy bags or several large packets. They're a flipping nuisance when you've only one small bag for the whole loop which in the old days you'd just pop on your shoulder and march off without even thinking about it. Once you've got it into your head that you HAVE to use them, then that becomes more bearable, just!
glenfiddich
Posts: 1012
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by glenfiddich »

i use mine but it slows me down a bit no more cutting across the front of houses but generally can fit most parcels in so saves on extra parcel drops from van except today as we got totally shafted with parcels had to do a seperate parcel run :thumbdown
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Far nicer on the body than pushing a non-customisable HCT weighing ~38Kg (empty) to 104Kg (fully laden) around constantly for ~5 hours!

On lighter days, don't just use one pouch on the LWT, spread the loop between two bags (basic eg. bundles one side, parcels other side).
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by spiderj »

They save your back,but do slow you down.
Which is fine u till the manager asks way you're slow then pretends not to understand
:arrrghhh
I won
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by tonytucker »

Waste of time like most things bring back the bikes
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

using them protects hours in the office and thus protects jobs and even if planned correctly can increase hours in offices giving more ft jobs for existing pt staff
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by tonytucker »

zx135 wrote:using them protects hours in the office and thus protects jobs and even if planned correctly can increase hours in offices giving more ft jobs for existing pt staff
If people use them witch they don't.plenty gathering dust down here
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

tonytucker wrote:
zx135 wrote:using them protects hours in the office and thus protects jobs and even if planned correctly can increase hours in offices giving more ft jobs for existing pt staff
If people use them witch they don't.plenty gathering dust down here
plenty of people use them in offices up and down the country its mainly the runners and those wanting finished early that dont those are the ones that are a threat to peoples jobs
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by spiderj »

And safety
My park and loop partner started panicking when I weighed a bag last week

I am not carrying 11kg up steps.

I used trolley on two loops as the weights were too much.

8kg on flat terrain
5kg on steps

I'm paid for five hours a day if I need a trolley so be it.
I won
holly123
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 220
Joined: 24 Jan 2012, 12:45
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by holly123 »

Yes i'm a great fan of the trolleys, if I'm the driver I like the loops to be equal and both take the parcels for there own loops in the trolley, it used to a job for life being able to go onto driving then on to late turn then nights etc but now its a job as long as your fit enough to do it so I do suggest take the weight of your shoulder and look after yourself, if your up to speed with the indoor prep rates and are not taking the p--- out on deliver they can not touch you for doing the job safely, if I get a lad working with me who wont use his trolley I give the manager any pkts back that would fit in his bag for him to do in the van after I have finished my round and signed my van back into the office not for him to nip round using the van I signed for and responsable for out on delivery .
Shaman Mao
Posts: 133
Joined: 03 Jan 2013, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by Shaman Mao »

LWTs are one of RM's better ideas, especially if you're getting on a bit and are starting to get the occasional aches and pains. The runners in the office don't want them but they apparently don't want a full-time job either.

I've been using them for four years and they don't slow you down once you've got the hang of them.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: LWTs - any fans out there?

Post by redneck »

Most people in our office don't use them, however all the advantages of use do still apply, it's just that the non-believer's priority is saving a few minutes by putting stress on the back and joints day in day out and forgetting about the spinning round and round with the separate parcel van runs.