ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Breaks
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
It's not your contract hours that decides your paid break entitlement, it is the number of hours you are working on any given day (including any standard overtime).
5 hours= 30mins paid break
7 hours= 40mins paid break
9 hours= 50mins paid break
etc.
5 hours= 30mins paid break
7 hours= 40mins paid break
9 hours= 50mins paid break
etc.
-
Trancy8
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 23 Feb 2015, 15:22
- Gender: Female
Re: Breaks
That's great thanks a lot. My manager keeps insisting its 20 minsIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:It's not your contract hours that decides your paid break entitlement, it is the number of hours you are working on any given day (including any standard overtime).
5 hours= 30mins paid break
7 hours= 40mins paid break
9 hours= 50mins paid break
etc.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
What is your daily hrs?
How long has this been going on?
Are you a fairly new starter?
Depending,you will be able to do them and get the time back.
How long has this been going on?
Are you a fairly new starter?
Depending,you will be able to do them and get the time back.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Breaks
Be careful though and check the shift duration and local agreements
Five hours not cover by working time directive but covered by CwU and RM
Six hours is covered by directive

For example I'm 25 hours over five days=five hour shift
Due to local agreement I'm told to take full break at end
Submitted a grievance and contacted oh assist.
But back on track
I take off my half hour break and I'm only at work for four and a half hours per day,paid for five and my duty is prepped and usually tied.
If its busy I let the manager decide who's delivering what I can't manage.
This has made me unpopular
Five hours not cover by working time directive but covered by CwU and RM
Six hours is covered by directive
For example I'm 25 hours over five days=five hour shift
Due to local agreement I'm told to take full break at end
Submitted a grievance and contacted oh assist.
But back on track
I take off my half hour break and I'm only at work for four and a half hours per day,paid for five and my duty is prepped and usually tied.
If its busy I let the manager decide who's delivering what I can't manage.
This has made me unpopular
I won
-
celerycelery
- Posts: 675
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 16:44
Re: Breaks
Always laugh at this, it's explains everything brilliantly but can't spell breaks (brake). Amuses me anywayPOSTMAN wrote:
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16699
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Breaks
It is called a meal brake so you know to slow down.celerycelery wrote:
Always laugh at this, it's explains everything brilliantly but can't spell breaks (brake). Amuses me anyway
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
If you don't take your break do you lose it or can you claim it as overtime?
I was told by a colleague that if you don't have time for a break you should be claiming the OT... 20hr contract.
I was told by a colleague that if you don't have time for a break you should be claiming the OT... 20hr contract.
Last edited by GoingPostal86 on 09 Mar 2015, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.
-
pod25
- Posts: 240
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 21:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
No, you can not claim it as overtime, as you are supposed to take it.
This all changed once the revisions went live.
This all changed once the revisions went live.
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
You can add the outdoor part of your break to an overtime claim, if not taken while on delivery.GoingPostal86 wrote:If you don't take your break do you lose it or can you claim it as overtime?
I was told by a colleague that if you don't have time for a break you should be claiming the OT... 20hr contract.
For someone who has done a 7hrs-8hrs59mins working day, the 40mins paid breaks for the day is normally split 20mins indoor and 20mins outdoor.
-
GoingPostal86
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
I always take my delivery break but I cant find the time for the indoor break due to the workload we have to deal with so we don't bulk out at the end of the dayIloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:You can add the outdoor part of your break to an overtime claim, if not taken while on delivery.GoingPostal86 wrote:If you don't take your break do you lose it or can you claim it as overtime?
I was told by a colleague that if you don't have time for a break you should be claiming the OT... 20hr contract.
For someone who has done a 7hrs-8hrs59mins working day, the 40mins paid breaks for the day is normally split 20mins indoor and 20mins outdoor.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 304
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Breaks
Is there a link to this as seems everyone in my office thinks people working nearly 6 hours a day are only entitled to 20 minutes break each day and they are loading lapsing on us in spades almost every day and there is no way I can complete the lot with a 30 minute break and I would probably be classed as a runner!POSTMAN wrote:
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
Re: Breaks
This is from the way forward agreementjimmynailsalive wrote:Is there a link to this as seems everyone in my office thinks people working nearly 6 hours a day are only entitled to 20 minutes break each day and they are loading lapsing on us in spades almost every day and there is no way I can complete the lot with a 30 minute break and I would probably be classed as a runner!POSTMAN wrote:
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP