ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

To say this is a healthy job...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

To say this is a healthy job...

Post by postypie »

why is it that when so many Postmen retire they are struck down with illness and disease so soon after retiring?
I know(and have heard of) several ex postmen who since retiring now suffer with chronic arthritis (knees),had strokes, cancers, Heart attacks, etc...like I have said this always seems to happen a year or two after they retire which leads me to believe this job really does f**k you up by the time you are 60 to 70.(Or maybe earlier)?
I have lost count how many ex posties I have seen in either wheel chairs or mobility scooters which saddens me so perhaps retiring as early as possible or taking EVR is the way to go if posties want to enjoy their twilight years to the full?
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by Postie45 »

I know some people who have had trouble with their health too. But I think that in the past there was a real get done early asap attitude, so you had people rushing around carrying really heavy bags, its only the past 5 years or so where RM have attempted to get people to use trolleys and not exceed recommended pouch weights, but some people still overfill bags. I cant say this is the reason for everyone who has been sick from doing the job but in my personal experience it has been the case.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by rubberbond »

Physically it maybe okay on a day to day basis,mentally,that is a different matter. P&L is certainly not the answer.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by wacko74 »

I don't think it does your physical or mental health any good at all.

Without exception everyone I know who has left this job and gone on to other things has looked far fitter and healthier when ever I've seen them after they've made their escape. The weary shuffle, the slumped shoulders, the thousand yard stare... all gone after leaving Royal Mail!
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by Darren Bent »

Ex postal workers always looked happier when I seen them. I done 10 years and am 42 and plan to make it about 57 and then retire early with 25 years, but no one can plan that far ahead in life.
SW17
Posts: 90
Joined: 10 Oct 2007, 12:17

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by SW17 »

We've had 3 posties that have had hip replacements at our office + a few with hernias and yes the ones that escape early look a lot better for it, the mental issues it seems to be causing some are becoming more evident though :crazy:
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by Shaders »

I really dont see how anyone finds delivery a mentally demanding job, physically yes of course it can be.
Its only as stressful as you make it, start on time, finish on time, and do a fair days work in between.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by terry2972 »

Very true its just putting bits of paper through letterboxes lol
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by wacko74 »

Shaders wrote:I really dont see how anyone finds delivery a mentally demanding job, physically yes of course it can be.
Its only as stressful as you make it, start on time, finish on time, and do a fair days work in between.
So you honestly think that being a leave reserve getting shifted from pillar to post, having to throw up different, unfamiliar frames everyday isn't mentally stressful?

I appreciate all you're saying about start on time, finish on time etc but it still gets very frustrating and mentally tiring when your trying to prep an unfamiliar frame requiring maximum concentration while the regular walk holders around you are casually throwing the mail in, having time for brews and conversations then still being bagged up and strolling out the door before you've even started to bundle up.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by Shaders »

If others are strolling around drinking cuppas then thats a management issue and a different subjuct.
Having been a reserve myself for eight years before getting my own duty i stand by what i say, its only stressful if you allow it to be.
yes its easier on a regular frame but its really not worth getting stressed over an unfamiliar frame, life is far too short
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by rubberbond »

Shaders wrote:I really dont see how anyone finds delivery a mentally demanding job, physically yes of course it can be.
Its only as stressful as you make it, start on time, finish on time, and do a fair days work in between.
It is the indoor politics that make it stressful,(how those poor sods cope in mail centres,God only knows), hence I suspect why this site is a popular way to air your grievances,as they do not appear to get addressed via official company policy. Unless that policy is, ignore it and it might go away,then in that case it is mind blowingly successful.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by krussel »

I have noticed this myself, the fact people seem to suffer poor health once they retire.

I am not sure if this is in general though as I ve known this to happen to many people who stop work and then get very ill and sometime die. :hmmmm

If possible you maybe able to reduce to 3 days a week for the last few years, retire slowly.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by Barbel »

We've had a couple of people drop dead from heart attacks at work, quite young people too, and another lad in his 30's had a stroke a few months ago. Maybe it's not such a healthy job after all or it's just a coincidence.
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by 2pints »

It is lifestyle outside of the job that determines how healthy we are.The job itself is not unhealthy.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: To say this is a healthy job...

Post by Mightyaj »

2pints wrote:It is lifestyle outside of the job that determines how healthy we are.The job itself is not unhealthy.
Agreed. The reason some may have issues health wise as too many posties are taking too much weight for years and this is why we see so many dodgy knees, ankles, backs etc! I see it all the time when posties put really heavy bags on their backs and I know a postie who was in his mid 40s who I used to get dropped off with the craziest of weights on his shoulders. Sometimes he'd have 2 bags on the go!

My point being is that if people work like this then its unhealthy but if you do your round with light loads then of course walking is good for you.

So my verdict is a postman job is a healthy one if you make it one.