ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Groin hernia advice

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

Groin hernia advice

Post by postiewhite »

Ive noticed this week that I have a groin swelling on one side which turns out to be a hernia. Ive no pain but now and again a very slight but tolerable ache. Today when I was walking at work I would never have known so as it stands now it's not affecting my work although I guess over time it might get worse and more enlarged.
The option is for me to maybe get a truss (a support) but i'm hardly gonna wear one of those forever or to have an operation to correct it. I had a hernia 25 yrs ago when I was young and I know you cant lift anything remotely heavy for 6 weeks after an op although light duties after 2 weeks is fine.

Not sure whether to mention it with my manager, I havent booked any hospital appointments as yet as im not in pain. Then there is the sick pay side of things, im on a 25hr contract and have been employed by RM for 18 months.
Advice regarding what to do now etc?
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by enskied »

Get it checked out by your GP. Two of our guys have had hernia surgery and are good as new. Both back at work well before their pay was affected.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by bustedflush »

You'll get full pay for up to 6 months as you've served over a year now.
You'll also probably get a stage 1 absence on your record, although not an issue if a one-off and it goes after 12 months from your return to work.
red666bear
Posts: 104
Joined: 19 Dec 2009, 22:54
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by red666bear »

bustedflush wrote:You'll get full pay for up to 6 months as you've served over a year now.
You'll also probably get a stage 1 absence on your record, although not an issue if a one-off and it goes after 12 months from your return to work.
no its 6 months.
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by spen »

Iv got double hernia in the groin, saw specialist last week n his advice was if it causes no pain not to worry, as the risks of surgery for something that doesn't bother you far outwieghs any gains
moocher
Posts: 5
Joined: 29 Jun 2010, 22:22
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by moocher »

you need it corrected because it wont go away and could worsen. I had hernia in right and left side last year caused by lifting something heavy. The operation is no problem, in hospital 10am home by 3pm with some metal clip stitches and codeine painkillers which I didnt need. Try not to take painkillers if you can, I only took for one day, because 30mg codeine stop your toilet habits badly.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I have got a hernia on the left side.I don't get a lot of pain from it just a dull ache when some wind gets trapped in it and last night's dinner lol which I have to help along :shock: .I seen the gp a couple of weeks before Christmas and I got referred for a operation. Got a letter a couple of weeks later to get it checked out and now I'm on a two month waiting list which I am half way thru but not heard anything yet.

Edit. I have also kept the manager informed all the way through the process so it won't shock him when I'm finally off with the operation.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by rehabron »

postiewhite wrote:Ive noticed this week that I have a groin swelling on one side which turns out to be a hernia. Ive no pain but now and again a very slight but tolerable ache. Today when I was walking at work I would never have known so as it stands now it's not affecting my work although I guess over time it might get worse and more enlarged.
The option is for me to maybe get a truss (a support) but i'm hardly gonna wear one of those forever or to have an operation to correct it. I had a hernia 25 yrs ago when I was young and I know you cant lift anything remotely heavy for 6 weeks after an op although light duties after 2 weeks is fine.

Not sure whether to mention it with my manager, I havent booked any hospital appointments as yet as im not in pain. Then there is the sick pay side of things, im on a 25hr contract and have been employed by RM for 18 months.
Advice regarding what to do now etc?
You probably have the makings of an inguinal hernia caused more then likely by the nature of the work you are performing at RM whether indoor or outdoor work e.g. lifting bundles, heavy packets, trays, pushing yorks etc.
Would recommend surgery as opposed to wearing a truss. Most operations are done with laproscopy ( keyhole surgery) without major incisions through the abdomen wall.
Recovery time is normally 8 weeks and a return to light duties for a further 2 weeks.
With the assistance of your union rep ( if you are a member) then your absence from work would be discounted as the cause of your inguinal hernia would be work related as previously suggested.
Have this checked before further complications may occur.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by Lounge Lizard »

I had one, just pushed it back in, took things easy for a while, end of story. :nana :nana
wheresourmoney
Posts: 170
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 14:50
Gender: Male

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by wheresourmoney »

I've got one coming out of my belly button, just a little bit smaller than a marble, doc told me that they don't worry about it until its the size of a tennis ball.
Misha Lee
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Feb 2015, 16:42
Gender: Female

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by Misha Lee »

If you got small one it is not so serious, but you need to be attentive and try to prevent it becoming bigger. Eating right products, being opted to diet you can avoid dificulties with it. Take care of you and stay healthy!
There is variety of different products that can fight forming hernia and even some massages technics. I have read it here http://hernia-treatment.net/repair-hiat ... techniques" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Groin hernia advice

Post by DB1100 »

It's very important for people to do some ab exercise's to help reduce the chances of a hernia,just google it,with a little bit of effort you can greatly reduce your chances of a hernia.
For we were soldiers once,and young