ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working paid hrs

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Working paid hrs

Post by POSTMAN »

From Facebook-You should really get on there,it's a lot of fun especially the CWU page! :crazy:
Anyways,this has been given out to a member...
rm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by Bahia Feliz »

We do longs & shorts,Monday 14.00 finish,Tuesday 13.33 finish.It works well for me on the whole.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by OnAFlyer »

That's how we've been working for ages. I'd rather go home early when I finish early and go a bit over if needed other days. 90% of the time it works in our favour.

You can't blame RM for wanting more flexibility and resourcing to workload - the vast vast majority of people working until time every day on the same duty are taking the mick on some days, the workload differs so much.

I'm not saying I want a fully flexible week btw, I can't do it anyway as I have childcare (plus I don't want to!). But, finishing early one day then expecting to be paid for finishing the same time over another is ridiculous from a business point of view.

Yes I know the agreement is work all your paid hours each day, but if you get job&knock some days in exchange for a bit of flexibility when needed then it benefits everyone. Obviously you need managers that don't take advantage and take the p*ss though, luckily ours don't. Tell them you can't work over any day and you don't, simple as that.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by enskied »

OnAFlyer wrote:That's how we've been working for ages. I'd rather go home early when I finish early and go a bit over if needed other days. 90% of the time it works in our favour.

You can't blame RM for wanting more flexibility and resourcing to workload - the vast vast majority of people working until time every day on the same duty are taking the mick on some days, the workload differs so much.

I'm not saying I want a fully flexible week btw, I can't do it anyway as I have childcare (plus I don't want to!). But, finishing early one day then expecting to be paid for finishing the same time over another is ridiculous from a business point of view.

Yes I know the agreement is work all your paid hours each day, but if you get job&knock some days in exchange for a bit of flexibility when needed then it benefits everyone. Obviously you need managers that don't take advantage and take the p*ss though, luckily ours don't. Tell them you can't work over any day and you don't, simple as that.
Bollocks.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'm happy to work all my paid hours....... I have to........I'd feel lucky if I had a Duty that gave me the opportunity to be back several hours early (as some people do in our DO). :Very Happy

Makes you laugh when they say, "It makes no business sense..." There's a lot of things in this Business that don't make "Good Business Sense" :shock: How about paying Managers to work a certain amount of time and then let them knock off early repeatedly? Often with some BS about "Working from Home on the PC" Yeah right ;liar How about repalcing nice cheap push bikes with expensive shiney red vans? :hmmmm

I'm surprised when Posters say their DOM gives them grief when they return from Delivery. You'd be very lucky to see ours at 1400! :shock:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by OnAFlyer »

enskied wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:That's how we've been working for ages. I'd rather go home early when I finish early and go a bit over if needed other days. 90% of the time it works in our favour.

You can't blame RM for wanting more flexibility and resourcing to workload - the vast vast majority of people working until time every day on the same duty are taking the mick on some days, the workload differs so much.

I'm not saying I want a fully flexible week btw, I can't do it anyway as I have childcare (plus I don't want to!). But, finishing early one day then expecting to be paid for finishing the same time over another is ridiculous from a business point of view.

Yes I know the agreement is work all your paid hours each day, but if you get job&knock some days in exchange for a bit of flexibility when needed then it benefits everyone. Obviously you need managers that don't take advantage and take the p*ss though, luckily ours don't. Tell them you can't work over any day and you don't, simple as that.
Bollocks.
Nice answer, are you the type that drags your feet around no matter how light the mail is, taking the same time to compete a 50-60% call rate on a Tuesday as you do on a 90% Wednesday? RM aren't stupid, having people sitting around to their time with no work is ridiculous and a waste.

Like it or not if you want a job in a few years this is the way it's going to be. The deadwood is either going to have to do something or leave.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by enskied »

OnAFlyer wrote:
enskied wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:That's how we've been working for ages. I'd rather go home early when I finish early and go a bit over if needed other days. 90% of the time it works in our favour.

You can't blame RM for wanting more flexibility and resourcing to workload - the vast vast majority of people working until time every day on the same duty are taking the mick on some days, the workload differs so much.

I'm not saying I want a fully flexible week btw, I can't do it anyway as I have childcare (plus I don't want to!). But, finishing early one day then expecting to be paid for finishing the same time over another is ridiculous from a business point of view.

Yes I know the agreement is work all your paid hours each day, but if you get job&knock some days in exchange for a bit of flexibility when needed then it benefits everyone. Obviously you need managers that don't take advantage and take the p*ss though, luckily ours don't. Tell them you can't work over any day and you don't, simple as that.
Bollocks.
Nice answer, are you the type that drags your feet around no matter how light the mail is, taking the same time to compete a 50-60% call rate on a Tuesday as you do on a 90% Wednesday? RM aren't stupid, having people sitting around to their time with no work is ridiculous and a waste.

Like it or not if you want a job in a few years this is the way it's going to be. The deadwood is either going to have to do something or leave.
No I am not.

I am one of the fastest people in the office, if not the fastest. I am also a floater, and guess what... I never get to go on duties like yours. I get put on the duties that go over even on a Tuesday. I get the known overrunning chite or I get paired up with the poor buggers that are so knackered by injury or time served that I am supposed to work a miracle of biblical proportions. But I am running for no one ! If it can be done it will be done, if it can't it needs fixing......... That is not my job.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by Lincox »

Resourcing to workload is just bullshite anyway. How many reps actually do this week in week out. Do they take into account the number of D2ds you have to do. Answer No.
Do they know how many packets you have or whether they are signed fors, tracked etc. Answer No. So how can they come up with any sensible result. Answer They Cant.
We do Longs and Shorts and generally it works out, but if you have 6 or more D2ds the shorter days are possibly going to create some overtime, especially as Tuesday always seems to be the day for Recorded Items.

So in our SPDO we complete each day, but claim overtime on any day that we go over. If we finish a bit early then that is not our problem. It is for them to provide sufficient work, particularly as they are supposed to be doing the resourcing. Every now and again we get memos through similar to the above, trying to remove overtime on particular days by banking time on to other days. We sign it, send it back with a note on the bottom informing them that there are no national or a local agreement to banking or rolling of hours and therefore we continue to book overtime on a daily basis as it is done. If they refuse to pay then the work will not get done. No comeback so far.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I'd make people rotate duties, if there were 20 duties in an office then pair the easiest with the hardest ie 1-20, 2-19 etc, that way everyone should get roughly the same alternating between duties each week.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by redneck »

OnAFlyer wrote:That's how we've been working for ages. I'd rather go home early when I finish early and go a bit over if needed other days. 90% of the time it works in our favour.

You can't blame RM for wanting more flexibility and resourcing to workload - the vast vast majority of people working until time every day on the same duty are taking the mick on some days, the workload differs so much.

I'm not saying I want a fully flexible week btw, I can't do it anyway as I have childcare (plus I don't want to!). But, finishing early one day then expecting to be paid for finishing the same time over another is ridiculous from a business point of view.

Yes I know the agreement is work all your paid hours each day, but if you get job&knock some days in exchange for a bit of flexibility when needed then it benefits everyone. Obviously you need managers that don't take advantage and take the p*ss though, luckily ours don't. Tell them you can't work over any day and you don't, simple as that.
Agree with a lot of that, up to the point where a full timer is asked to lapse the mech on my current round from 6.30 before I arrive at 7 and makes out he's doing me a favour by cutting down my working day by 30 mins, he's effectively picking my pocket on request. One man's flexibility can be another mans wage cut.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by Dorset Plodder »

redneck wrote:
Agree with a lot of that, up to the point where a full timer is asked to lapse the mech on my current round from 6.30 before I arrive at 7 and makes out he's doing me a favour by cutting down my working day by 30 mins, he's effectively picking my pocket on request. One man's flexibility can be another mans wage cut.
Love it when the Overtime Bandits go around the office throwing off the Mech to fill up their early morning OT. Throwing off Mech is no hard task...unless the frames haven't been updated by the idle duty holder :whistle .... In fact it can be counter-productive if you've got a Reserve covering the Duty that is not familiar with the frame. The Mech enables you to familiarise yourself with the frame without having to dart around all over it (as with IPS mail) :crazy:

Agree with what you're saying redneck, but it's the Manager that's trying to nick your money , not the Postie. I often think (when watching the Flyers standing around chatting) if you want to do something why not go out and check (or even clean) your vans out? :shock: Never worked in a Business before that has so many selfish bastards! :arrrghhh
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by OnAFlyer »

enskied wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
enskied wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:That's how we've been working for ages. I'd rather go home early when I finish early and go a bit over if needed other days. 90% of the time it works in our favour.

You can't blame RM for wanting more flexibility and resourcing to workload - the vast vast majority of people working until time every day on the same duty are taking the mick on some days, the workload differs so much.

I'm not saying I want a fully flexible week btw, I can't do it anyway as I have childcare (plus I don't want to!). But, finishing early one day then expecting to be paid for finishing the same time over another is ridiculous from a business point of view.

Yes I know the agreement is work all your paid hours each day, but if you get job&knock some days in exchange for a bit of flexibility when needed then it benefits everyone. Obviously you need managers that don't take advantage and take the p*ss though, luckily ours don't. Tell them you can't work over any day and you don't, simple as that.
Bollocks.
Nice answer, are you the type that drags your feet around no matter how light the mail is, taking the same time to compete a 50-60% call rate on a Tuesday as you do on a 90% Wednesday? RM aren't stupid, having people sitting around to their time with no work is ridiculous and a waste.

Like it or not if you want a job in a few years this is the way it's going to be. The deadwood is either going to have to do something or leave.
No I am not.

I am one of the fastest people in the office, if not the fastest. I am also a floater, and guess what... I never get to go on duties like yours. I get put on the duties that go over even on a Tuesday. I get the known overrunning chite or I get paired up with the poor buggers that are so knackered by injury or time served that I am supposed to work a miracle of biblical proportions. But I am running for no one ! If it can be done it will be done, if it can't it needs fixing......... That is not my job.
Then why swear at my post? You've got enough work to fill your hours so you've nothing to worry about.

Some haven't, they want to either finish early some days then refuse to go over on others because 'it's not in the agreement', or they drag it out on lighter days so they've 'worked their hours'. Either way it frankly taking the p*ss and is exactly why RM are asking for more flexibility.

Oh, and fwiw - duties like mine? When I picked it I was over 50 places down the seniority list. Before I started it 3 people couldn't complete it on time. I picked to work with a mate and we sorted it within days, as you well know much of this job relies on who you're working with and how you work together, not just the duties.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by OnAFlyer »

jimmynailsalive wrote:I'd make people rotate duties, if there were 20 duties in an office then pair the easiest with the hardest ie 1-20, 2-19 etc, that way everyone should get roughly the same alternating between duties each week.
That would be a great idea, it would show up where the problems lie with both deliveries and staff. Some pairs would complete pretty much anything, others would struggle to complete the easiest walks in an office.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by Lincox »

Quote 'Some haven't, they want to either finish early some days then refuse to go over on others because 'it's not in the agreement', or they drag it out on lighter days so they've 'worked their hours'. Either way it frankly taking the p*ss and is exactly why RM are asking for more flexibility'.

I think what most people would like is to finish on time every day, and then if they need the money, be able to do overtime to suit. What we have at the moment is a company that is insisting on you working your hours, and then insisting on you going beyond that to make sure the walks are completed, and then begrudgingly if you are lucky pay you overtime.
Royal Mails flexibility is based on a one way system in their favour. When people need time off for weddings, funerals, unexpected circumstances, flexibility is thrown out the window.
That is why there is so much resentment by delivery staff. If they insist that we do not go home early, they cannot have it always, they must also accept that we can go home at the end of contracted hours without having to go through the mill with the pointless overrunning deliveries debacle and the bullying and harassment that follows.
FinishOnTime
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Apr 2013, 16:37
Gender: Male

Re: Working paid hrs

Post by FinishOnTime »

Lincox wrote:Quote 'Some haven't, they want to either finish early some days then refuse to go over on others because 'it's not in the agreement', or they drag it out on lighter days so they've 'worked their hours'. Either way it frankly taking the p*ss and is exactly why RM are asking for more flexibility'.

I think what most people would like is to finish on time every day, and then if they need the money, be able to do overtime to suit. What we have at the moment is a company that is insisting on you working your hours, and then insisting on you going beyond that to make sure the walks are completed, and then begrudgingly if you are lucky pay you overtime.
Royal Mails flexibility is based on a one way system in their favour. When people need time off for weddings, funerals, unexpected circumstances, flexibility is thrown out the window.
That is why there is so much resentment by delivery staff. If they insist that we do not go home early, they cannot have it always, they must also accept that we can go home at the end of contracted hours without having to go through the mill with the pointless overrunning deliveries debacle and the bullying and harassment that follows.
:Applause :Applause


Bang on the money. I'm sick of hearing about this firm and that firm that don't let their staff go early. Totally agree. But how many firms expect their staff to go over their time on an almost daily basis, or expect them, in usually quite an aggressive manner, to justify why they can't or won't.