ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Paid overtime but finishes early

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Will2810
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
Gender: Male

Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Will2810 »

We have a postman in our office that is part time, 8:30 to 14:30.
He has an easy walk that takes 3hr 30mins, gets asked to start at 6:30 to prep frames which gives him 2 hrs overtime everyday, is it right that he finishes work at 12 everyday, sometimes before that and still gets his overtime!
Does this happen in any other office?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Its right that he gets overtime because he is working outside his official start times.

But its wrong that he is not working all his paid hours, if indeed that is the case. He may have special dispensation because of a protected characteristic, he may be working family friendly hours. In essence there are many reasons why he is finishing early that you and your colleagues SHOULD NOT be made aware of. However, if he doesn't qualify under any of these special considerations then management should be apply the work all paid hours agreement, it shouldn't however, be policed by his colleagues.

I have people finishing before me and I try not to let it bother me, the people on these walks know that they are in the firing line when it comes to the next revision, whereas I know I am working to capacity, and will continue to do so even if they do add more to my duty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Hitcher »

If the prep isn't part of his duty (which I'm guessing it isn't from the start and finish times) then he should be getting paid overtime.
Will2810
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Will2810 »

It is to prep his own frame and one other.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by rhino49 »

If the prep that he is being paid overtime for is not part of his assigned duty then then that is all he should be doing between 06:30 and 08:30. If he is using the overtime period to tie up, bag and start delivery, thereby reducing his normal working time, then he is in fact "ghosting" and that is a definite no no.
If he has a six hour duty and finishes it over two hours early then I would question whether the overtime is needed at all !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by bensonhedge »

Its called been efficient,either get onboard or stop worrying what time someone else is! :Applause
Will2810
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Will2810 »

Whatever
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by fishtank »

bensonhedge wrote:Its called been efficient,either get onboard or stop worrying what time someone else is! :Applause
Allowing staff to finish early is hugely inefficient for the business, either get onboard with that or run yourself out of a job, your choice. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Will2810
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Will2810 »

Get on board with what? I work to my time everyday!!!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Will2810 wrote:Get on board with what? I work to my time everyday!!!

Just to clarify you are responding to
bensonhedge wrote:Its called been efficient,either get onboard or stop worrying what time someone else is! :Applause
rather than
fishtank wrote:Allowing staff to finish early is hugely inefficient for the business, either get onboard with that or run yourself out of a job, your choice. :neutral:
Its not completely clear, but it appears as though you and Fishtank are in agreement about finishing on time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Will2810
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Will2810 »

I don't mind people finishing early, it's none of my business, what I don't get is people getting paid over time
And being in the house for 12 everyday when their shift doesn't finish till 2:30. Can't be good for Royal Mail or the future of our jobs!
bensonhedge
Posts: 448
Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by bensonhedge »

Will2810 wrote:I don't mind people finishing early, it's none of my business, what I don't get is people getting paid over time
And being in the house for 12 everyday when their shift doesn't finish till 2:30. Can't be good for Royal Mail or the future of our jobs!
So its more efficient to stretch it out all day and claim....ok right
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by scoobymunster »

I think the OP is getting at that the postie in question hours could be better aligned to their workload, thus RM wouldn't be paying OT when the work could be completed in their basic hours.
Will2810
Posts: 10
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
Gender: Male

Re: Paid overtime but finishes early

Post by Will2810 »

Well said scoobymunster