ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Paid overtime but finishes early
-
Will2810
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Paid overtime but finishes early
We have a postman in our office that is part time, 8:30 to 14:30.
He has an easy walk that takes 3hr 30mins, gets asked to start at 6:30 to prep frames which gives him 2 hrs overtime everyday, is it right that he finishes work at 12 everyday, sometimes before that and still gets his overtime!
Does this happen in any other office?
He has an easy walk that takes 3hr 30mins, gets asked to start at 6:30 to prep frames which gives him 2 hrs overtime everyday, is it right that he finishes work at 12 everyday, sometimes before that and still gets his overtime!
Does this happen in any other office?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Its right that he gets overtime because he is working outside his official start times.
But its wrong that he is not working all his paid hours, if indeed that is the case. He may have special dispensation because of a protected characteristic, he may be working family friendly hours. In essence there are many reasons why he is finishing early that you and your colleagues SHOULD NOT be made aware of. However, if he doesn't qualify under any of these special considerations then management should be apply the work all paid hours agreement, it shouldn't however, be policed by his colleagues.
I have people finishing before me and I try not to let it bother me, the people on these walks know that they are in the firing line when it comes to the next revision, whereas I know I am working to capacity, and will continue to do so even if they do add more to my duty.
But its wrong that he is not working all his paid hours, if indeed that is the case. He may have special dispensation because of a protected characteristic, he may be working family friendly hours. In essence there are many reasons why he is finishing early that you and your colleagues SHOULD NOT be made aware of. However, if he doesn't qualify under any of these special considerations then management should be apply the work all paid hours agreement, it shouldn't however, be policed by his colleagues.
I have people finishing before me and I try not to let it bother me, the people on these walks know that they are in the firing line when it comes to the next revision, whereas I know I am working to capacity, and will continue to do so even if they do add more to my duty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
If the prep isn't part of his duty (which I'm guessing it isn't from the start and finish times) then he should be getting paid overtime.
-
Will2810
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
It is to prep his own frame and one other.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
If the prep that he is being paid overtime for is not part of his assigned duty then then that is all he should be doing between 06:30 and 08:30. If he is using the overtime period to tie up, bag and start delivery, thereby reducing his normal working time, then he is in fact "ghosting" and that is a definite no no.
If he has a six hour duty and finishes it over two hours early then I would question whether the overtime is needed at all !!!
If he has a six hour duty and finishes it over two hours early then I would question whether the overtime is needed at all !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Its called been efficient,either get onboard or stop worrying what time someone else is! 
-
Will2810
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Whatever
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Allowing staff to finish early is hugely inefficient for the business, either get onboard with that or run yourself out of a job, your choice.bensonhedge wrote:Its called been efficient,either get onboard or stop worrying what time someone else is!
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Will2810
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Get on board with what? I work to my time everyday!!!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Will2810 wrote:Get on board with what? I work to my time everyday!!!
Just to clarify you are responding to
rather thanbensonhedge wrote:Its called been efficient,either get onboard or stop worrying what time someone else is!
Its not completely clear, but it appears as though you and Fishtank are in agreement about finishing on time.fishtank wrote:Allowing staff to finish early is hugely inefficient for the business, either get onboard with that or run yourself out of a job, your choice.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Will2810
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
I don't mind people finishing early, it's none of my business, what I don't get is people getting paid over time
And being in the house for 12 everyday when their shift doesn't finish till 2:30. Can't be good for Royal Mail or the future of our jobs!
And being in the house for 12 everyday when their shift doesn't finish till 2:30. Can't be good for Royal Mail or the future of our jobs!
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
So its more efficient to stretch it out all day and claim....ok rightWill2810 wrote:I don't mind people finishing early, it's none of my business, what I don't get is people getting paid over time
And being in the house for 12 everyday when their shift doesn't finish till 2:30. Can't be good for Royal Mail or the future of our jobs!
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
I think the OP is getting at that the postie in question hours could be better aligned to their workload, thus RM wouldn't be paying OT when the work could be completed in their basic hours.
-
Will2810
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Paid overtime but finishes early
Well said scoobymunster