ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
buttyboy69
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 May 2008, 16:46

repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by buttyboy69 »

repetitive strain caused by holding bundles
Just been signed off by doctor for 2 weeks...golfers elbow due to repetitive strain caused by holding bundles in my left hand whilst sorting prepping indoors and carrying a bundle outdoors for 5hrs a day..done job 26yrs...something had to give.work trying to get me back at work after only a week on LIGHT DUTIES...been advised not to...arm not right..waiting for ohs physio...also taking naproxen and wearing a brace...if i went back to work early and arm didn't improve id been put on stage for 2 separate absences!!!
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by chrisj »

The answer is simple. HCR or LWT! Then you only need to carry a handful of letters; it will slow you down but it is better for your health and your manager can have no come backs.

It is either you use the right tools and go slower or risk longer term health problems and your manager and unit suffer from your absence.
Scotland1
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
Gender: Female

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by Scotland1 »

Do not go back early
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by Lincox »

chrisj wrote:The answer is simple. HCR or LWT! Then you only need to carry a handful of letters; it will slow you down but it is better for your health and your manager can have no come backs.

It is either you use the right tools and go slower or risk longer term health problems and your manager and unit suffer from your absence.
Totally agree about using the right equipment. The LWT does not lend itself to resting the bundle on it as it always slides off. Only answer is to leave the bundle in the bag on the trolley but then you are forever delving into the bag. Would have been great if they could have attached some sort of frame onto the LWT to hold the bundle in. Since park and loop my thumbs have become very arthritic and now going down into the wrist on the right hand. Believe this is carpel tunnel syndrome. Fortunately about to retire so hopefully the pain will go once I no longer have to hold a bundle of mail for 5 hours. We are now consistently hearing of musculoskeletal problems within the delivery staff and this can only be down to the park and loop system. The health bill for Royal Mail must be enormous and no doubt they will be trying to knock the sickness cover out of terms and conditions at their earliest opportunity. The shareholders will demand it.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by chrisj »

That is why I said he will be much slower as he has to delve into the bag many times when he is using much smaller bundles...

You came agreed with me but then you went for the usual, we want to go faster idea... I pack my bundles in one pouch bag and parcels in the other bag and off I go with a slightly bigger bundle (handful) than I am recommending as I do not have that problems described...

I know posties (usually the bike brigade) that still makes their bundles very small and that have to dig in the pouch bag several times; although they carry their bag so low that they can dip and and out easily. I do not like my pouch beyond my hip - not knocking my hamstrings or calf!

Just go slower - we should all go slower! :angel
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16695
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by clashcityrocker »

buttyboy69 wrote:repetitive strain caused by holding bundles
Just been signed off by doctor for 2 weeks...golfers elbow
Turn the palm out and stretch.
Unless you've done some irreparable damage it goes away quite quickly.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by rubberbond »

I would imagine the last thing you need with an inflamed joint is to be pushing/pulling a trolley. Those HCT's look so cumbersome ,I am glad I do van share,it is the best of a bad lot,quite frankly.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by chrisj »

Van share is good if you combine with a LWT - you only need two/three fingers to pull the LWT - do not push as it might jam your wrist when it hits something or get stuck.

Alternatively, go for smaller loops if poss and use tiny bundles which you carry close to your body not just grab them with your hand... A lot of older posties do the grab with smaller bundles. I use medium sized bundles with no streets separations (just same size I feel comfortable with) but mine is cradled - so not much impact on wrist just an elbow bend - no problem so far...
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by Lincox »

chrisj wrote:That is why I said he will be much slower as he has to delve into the bag many times when he is using much smaller bundles...

You came agreed with me but then you went for the usual, we want to go faster idea... I pack my bundles in one pouch bag and parcels in the other bag and off I go with a slightly bigger bundle (handful) than I am recommending as I do not have that problems described...

I know posties (usually the bike brigade) that still makes their bundles very small and that have to dig in the pouch bag several times; although they carry their bag so low that they can dip and and out easily. I do not like my pouch beyond my hip - not knocking my hamstrings or calf!

Just go slower - we should all go slower! :angel
Chris, if you read what I have said, I use the LWT. I am too old to carry bags on my shoulder all day long. What I am saying is that the LWT could be even better if it had something attached to it that would hold a bundle of mail so that you do not have to carry a bundle of mail in your hands. Something that at each DP you just remove that house mail. You would then have two hands to control the LWT which when you are bumping up and down kerbs you need to do, and you would not have the repetitive strain injury to your thumbs, fingers and wrist.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by chrisj »

But where do you put this extra pouch on a LWT?

You have a long handle and 2 hooks for bags on either side and the LWT is at an angle when you move: it is not as versatile as a tray on a bike or an extra tray now attached to the top of new HCTs. Its been designed to be streamlined, lightweight and easy to handle...

I am thinking...

Not ever carrying a bundle is almost impossible in this job and taking bits out for one property at a time is a bit weird, for me. I know the bikers used to do that (but some also loop by parking up) but that was the days when we had less mail and not so many packets (especially small ones) to deal with.

If you can come up with a good solution, I am sure the WCM folks might be interested and you might find yourself in the Courier: your parting gift to the rest of us.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by Lincox »

I was thinking of something like a music sheet holder but a bit more substantial, something that could be mounted on springs, so it could either be opened or closed. Should be simple enough for an engineer to design something to go on the top bar. If you just sit your bundle on the top bar between the bags, it soon falls off, so it just needs something to stop it falling off and easy to release mail from the bundle.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16695
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lincox wrote: Something that at each DP you just remove that house mail.
But then as you go down the drive, the mail on the lwt is left unattended.
The tray on the HCT isn't meant for mail either.

Stretching is the only answer to RSI.
And smaller bundles is a good preventative measure.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
N1-22postman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 68
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 08:31
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by N1-22postman »

I had postman`s elbow due to carrying too large a bundle.It got better gradually when I reduced the size of my bundles.OK - small bundles take a little longer to do up and to lift out of the lwt but your long term health is more important than a few minutes of your time.Start your bundle with delivery points that have heavy flats if at all possible so that you get rid of most of the weight of the bundle quickly.On our first day of P&L my partner made up massive 6 Kg bundles for me to deliver.Never again.After that I made up all of my own delivery bundles in smaller sizes.Your body is the only one you will ever have - take care of it.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: repetitive strain caused by holding bundles

Post by Lincox »

Hear what you are saying Clash, but all of your mail and packets are at risk when you walk down a drive. There is no locking system on a LWT and it could be run off with or lifted into a van in the blink of an eye. No different to when we used bikes and put the bundle in the tray in front of the bag.