ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RM terminology!
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
RM terminology!
Hi
Started last week and just trying to get to grips with all of the abbreviations and words used in RM...DOM PHP etc Also, I've been described as a floater and a reserve - both of which I'm not really sure what it means? And was also wondering what's meant by seniority (I know what the word means just not sure what the line up looks like from top to bottom). My contract says permanent - 25 hrs per week.
Just trying to get to grips with it all!
Thanks in advance
Kikidee
Started last week and just trying to get to grips with all of the abbreviations and words used in RM...DOM PHP etc Also, I've been described as a floater and a reserve - both of which I'm not really sure what it means? And was also wondering what's meant by seniority (I know what the word means just not sure what the line up looks like from top to bottom). My contract says permanent - 25 hrs per week.
Just trying to get to grips with it all!
Thanks in advance
Kikidee
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: RM terminology!
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: RM terminology!
Brilliant...thanks. So i've just discovered I'm meant to cover hols/sickness (noone has explained any of this), how long should I expect to be a floater for? Is it a bad position to be in?
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 297
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
ive been with RM for over 10 years and im still a reserve, but you may get lucky.
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: RM terminology!
when you say lucky, how do you mean? what are the differences? Is it simply a case of getting your own route or more to it than that?miles_peters wrote:ive been with RM for over 10 years and im still a reserve, but you may get lucky.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 297
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
getting your own duty (route) usually requires quite high seniority but as I say you may get lucky i.e a number of people leaving in a short span of time, but in most cases depending on the size of the office of course it can take many many years to get your own duty
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: RM terminology!
Depends what you and your office are like - some like the variety, some don't.Kikidee wrote:Brilliant...thanks. So i've just discovered I'm meant to cover hols/sickness (noone has explained any of this), how long should I expect to be a floater for? Is it a bad position to be in?
As to how long you'll stay a reserve/floater its all depends how long it takes to go up the seniority ladder (time served) its not quite dead mans shows, but it feels like it sometimes
You may not be a reserve yet, new starters are meant to be placed on a duty for a length of time to help them get used to the job and processes. After that you'll become a reserve.
In my office the 2 (reserve and floater) are 2 different types of cover. A floater is someone who floats between certain fixed duties, usually the holders day off. A reserve usually covers the annual leave of the duty holders. In either case they can be moved from duty to duty.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: RM terminology!
Same here but I got a duty just after a year - it is seen as one of the worst in the office though.miles_peters wrote:ive been with RM for over 10 years and im still a reserve, but you may get lucky.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 297
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
I did get a duty at one point but lost it in a resign, this must have been around 5 or 6 years ago now, so it is possible to get one with quite low seniority but if theres a resign, the chances of keeping it are usually lowTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Same here but I got a duty just after a year - it is seen as one of the worst in the office though.miles_peters wrote:ive been with RM for over 10 years and im still a reserve, but you may get lucky.
-
kirstyx
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 147
- Joined: 24 Jul 2012, 16:45
- Gender: Female
Re: RM terminology!
I was a reserve for 16 months then we had our revision and I signed for a hot round that gets split for summer savings 6 months of the year but we are so short staffed that since new year we have been lapsing 3 rounds every day
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
So I'm guessing your coach said something along the lines of:
"Welcome to RM as a new OPG. When you get to the DO the first thing you will need to do is prep your frame. Put 1/6th D2D in a day. Then put the mech mail in. Go on IPS for half an hour, packets go in the yorks. Kill off any 'not at this address' letters. After that see the PHG for your specials and tracked. Take your meal relief before you go out on delivery. The DOM will love you forever if you take your lapsing. Dont forget to use an LWT or HCT on delivery. If customer isnt in try D2N or leave a P739. If you can't do the OT then cut off. Are you taking all this in?"
Yes, clear as mud
"Welcome to RM as a new OPG. When you get to the DO the first thing you will need to do is prep your frame. Put 1/6th D2D in a day. Then put the mech mail in. Go on IPS for half an hour, packets go in the yorks. Kill off any 'not at this address' letters. After that see the PHG for your specials and tracked. Take your meal relief before you go out on delivery. The DOM will love you forever if you take your lapsing. Dont forget to use an LWT or HCT on delivery. If customer isnt in try D2N or leave a P739. If you can't do the OT then cut off. Are you taking all this in?"
Yes, clear as mud
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: RM terminology!
Haha, spot on!Jpro747 wrote:So I'm guessing your coach said something along the lines of:
"Welcome to RM as a new OPG. When you get to the DO the first thing you will need to do is prep your frame. Put 1/6th D2D in a day. Then put the mech mail in. Go on IPS for half an hour, packets go in the yorks. Kill off any 'not at this address' letters. After that see the PHG for your specials and tracked. Take your meal relief before you go out on delivery. The DOM will love you forever if you take your lapsing. Dont forget to use an LWT or HCT on delivery. If customer isnt in try D2N or leave a P739. If you can't do the OT then cut off. Are you taking all this in?"
Yes, clear as mud
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
Hi Kiki and welcome to Royal Mail Chat ... and Royal Mail. I hope you are settling in well. Don't let the nomenclature get on top of you. Others before me have posted good glossaries which should help. I take it there's not much money to be made in music anymore.... I liked this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2Dxgn-lls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you did with John back in the 70's 
Last edited by Decky Boy on 03 Feb 2015, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
The thing with being a floater in most offices is you wont have a routine day off, meaning you can never plan to do something on your day off as you wont know exactly when it is, unless your schedule gets posted a few weeks in advance. On the other hand, id be very cautious signing a duty that becomes available to you with your seniority as if no one else wants it there has to be a reason for it !Kikidee wrote:Brilliant...thanks. So i've just discovered I'm meant to cover hols/sickness (noone has explained any of this), how long should I expect to be a floater for? Is it a bad position to be in?
-
penlanpostie
- Posts: 42
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:15
- Gender: Male
Re: RM terminology!
In our office a float and a reserve are slightly different , a float covers the same jobs as part of the rest week cycle
Ie week 1 b1 , week 2 b2 , week 3 b3 week 4 off ,
But a reserve just covers annual leave and sick leave
Ie week 1 b1 , week 2 b2 , week 3 b3 week 4 off ,
But a reserve just covers annual leave and sick leave