ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cyatheac
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 19:43
Gender: Male

Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Post by cyatheac »

Does Royal Mail sell used Royal Mail vans to posties prior to auction? Can anyone supply the name/email/mobile of a contact?
Last edited by cyatheac on 01 Feb 2015, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by Lounge Lizard »

cyatheac wrote:I’ll soon transfer (13th Feb) to a rural location without frequent bus service. Two van deals have recently fallen through and I’m stuck without transport. Can anyone supply a name/email/phone number of a manager who can arrange a deal on a small used Royal Mail van e.g. Vauxhall Combo/Peugeot Partner/Bipper or similar, in the next week. I live south of London but would travel to pick up a van. Desperate to do a deal. Many thanks.
You live "south of London" yet not long ago were asking for contact details of "D.O.M.'s directly at Oban (x1), Fort William (x1), and Isle of Mull (x3) Delivery Offices" :shock:
I've never known of "a manager who can arrange a deal on a small used Royal Mail van" but 'Overnight Retention' of vans is probably the best option for those of us in "a rural location without frequent bus service". :nana
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by spiderj »

Hmmmm!
Just hmmmm
:cuppa
I won
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by rubberbond »

The vans do not belong to Royal Mail, as far as I know. I thought they were leased. Try the local motor auctions , Blackbushe or somewhere like that,there must be loads in London ,or Gumtree.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by dvbuk55 »

cyatheac wrote:I’ll soon transfer (13th Feb) to a rural location without frequent bus service. Two van deals have recently fallen through and I’m stuck without transport. Can anyone supply a name/email/phone number of a manager who can arrange a deal on a small used Royal Mail van e.g. Vauxhall Combo/Peugeot Partner/Bipper or similar, in the next week. I live south of London but would travel to pick up a van. Desperate to do a deal. Many thanks.
Cycle? Moped? Scooter? Car? Why would you need a van unless you were thinking of using on delivery :no no
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dvbuk55 wrote:
cyatheac wrote:I’ll soon transfer (13th Feb) to a rural location without frequent bus service. Two van deals have recently fallen through and I’m stuck without transport. Can anyone supply a name/email/phone number of a manager who can arrange a deal on a small used Royal Mail van e.g. Vauxhall Combo/Peugeot Partner/Bipper or similar, in the next week. I live south of London but would travel to pick up a van. Desperate to do a deal. Many thanks.
Cycle? Moped? Scooter? Car? Why would you need a van unless you were thinking of using on delivery :no no
All sorts of things can go in in the back of a large enough van in a "rural location". :nana :nana :nana
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16695
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by clashcityrocker »

You can find them on ebay.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by rubberbond »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
cyatheac wrote:I’ll soon transfer (13th Feb) to a rural location without frequent bus service. Two van deals have recently fallen through and I’m stuck without transport. Can anyone supply a name/email/phone number of a manager who can arrange a deal on a small used Royal Mail van e.g. Vauxhall Combo/Peugeot Partner/Bipper or similar, in the next week. I live south of London but would travel to pick up a van. Desperate to do a deal. Many thanks.
Cycle? Moped? Scooter? Car? Why would you need a van unless you were thinking of using on delivery :no no
All sorts of things can go in in the back of a large enough van in a "rural location". :nana :nana :nana
Not the old ,"the sheep backed onto me" excuse?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by dvbuk55 »

rubberbond wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
cyatheac wrote:I’ll soon transfer (13th Feb) to a rural location without frequent bus service. Two van deals have recently fallen through and I’m stuck without transport. Can anyone supply a name/email/phone number of a manager who can arrange a deal on a small used Royal Mail van e.g. Vauxhall Combo/Peugeot Partner/Bipper or similar, in the next week. I live south of London but would travel to pick up a van. Desperate to do a deal. Many thanks.
Cycle? Moped? Scooter? Car? Why would you need a van unless you were thinking of using on delivery :no no
All sorts of things can go in in the back of a large enough van in a "rural location". :nana :nana :nana
Not the old ,"the sheep backed onto me" excuse?
You know him only too well :chuckle

Autotrader has loads of ex-rm vans.
scoobydo79
Posts: 2055
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: Postie Urgently Needs Used-Mail-Van Manager Contact Deta

Post by scoobydo79 »

spiderj wrote:Hmmmm!
Just hmmmm
:cuppa

Yeah what He said. :hmmmm
rjack
Posts: 98
Joined: 26 Nov 2010, 09:42
Gender: Male
Location: wales

Re: Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Post by rjack »

Royal Mail keep their vans a lot longer now so when they sell them they are usually f*****
dodger162
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 161
Joined: 04 Jun 2010, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Post by dodger162 »

Is the van to be used to move house from s london to the isle of mull?
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Post by wabbithunta »

There's a guy on my delivery that has an ex Royal Mail van. You can see where the logo's and markings were on his van. He's had it for about five years at least. He uses his for work (building trade I think) I can ask him, but it won't be until next week as I'm on holiday at the moment. So that's that one out of the window then...!
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
Mr_Pink
Posts: 163
Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
Gender: Male

Re: Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Post by Mr_Pink »

The big question is, why would anyone want to buy one?!

Bare minimum maintenance carry out, used on short start-stop journeys, very little mechanical sympathy shown, most have some sort of cosmetic damage.
GT750rider
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 216
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Gender: Male

Re: Can posties buy a used Royal Mail Van prior to auction?

Post by GT750rider »

Mr_Pink wrote:The big question is, why would anyone want to buy one?!

Bare minimum maintenance carry out, used on short start-stop journeys, very little mechanical sympathy shown, most have some sort of cosmetic damage.
I couldn't agree more. You don't see too many ex. RM vans out there, considering the amount we get through. I wonder why ?