ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Newbie...few questions!
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Newbie...few questions!
Hi,
I started at RM this week and have some queries that I feel stupid asking in person so am going to try here! ;)
Are the van jobs better than walking? If so, why? I presumed they would be but someone said it's harder?!
When travelling to your destination to start yr route, do u claim back expenses such as bus fare or petrol?
Does anyone track the actual hrs on the sign in sheets? The guy training me asked me to get in as early as poss today so I'd get a better understanding of prepping so I was there 45 mins early...do I get paid for that?
Is there more or less an understanding that u go home when yr route's finished? Like it's not a case of hanging around til yr contracted finish time?
Thanks in advance
I started at RM this week and have some queries that I feel stupid asking in person so am going to try here! ;)
Are the van jobs better than walking? If so, why? I presumed they would be but someone said it's harder?!
When travelling to your destination to start yr route, do u claim back expenses such as bus fare or petrol?
Does anyone track the actual hrs on the sign in sheets? The guy training me asked me to get in as early as poss today so I'd get a better understanding of prepping so I was there 45 mins early...do I get paid for that?
Is there more or less an understanding that u go home when yr route's finished? Like it's not a case of hanging around til yr contracted finish time?
Thanks in advance
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Moved to Blue shirts.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Newbie...few questions!
There a mythical sheet for overtime called the docket which some managers treat like the crown jewels...ask and you may receive lol
If asked to come in early you get paid,clarify with a manager though
Van work is harder as you have lore wee jobs to do and can be asked to deliver all the packets and know your way around better
Travelling to duty...u should be getting dropped off in a van,if you meant travelling to work you can claim if going to another office
Sign in sheets .,..yes they should be tracked
But ask your trainer all these and more,the onlynsilly question is the one not asked....better to ask the question than either worry or cause an issue later
If your trainer is decent then they'll be understanding

If asked to come in early you get paid,clarify with a manager though
Van work is harder as you have lore wee jobs to do and can be asked to deliver all the packets and know your way around better
Travelling to duty...u should be getting dropped off in a van,if you meant travelling to work you can claim if going to another office
Sign in sheets .,..yes they should be tracked
But ask your trainer all these and more,the onlynsilly question is the one not asked....better to ask the question than either worry or cause an issue later
If your trainer is decent then they'll be understanding
I won
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Van jobs are good in the cold and rain, crap in the heat (no air con). If the van delivery is a rural you will likely spend more time sat on your ass in the van listening to the radio admiring the countryside views, instead of pounding the mean city streets.
Advantages of a non driving round...? You can take a hip flask with you
Advantages of a non driving round...? You can take a hip flask with you
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16695
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Newbie...few questions!
In any resign I have been part of the HCT duties go before the shared van duties. Working on your own is far easier.Kikidee wrote:Hi,
Are the van jobs better than walking? If so, why? I presumed they would be but someone said it's harder?!
The van jobs are split into two categories,
Single van duties - these are rural/packet or firms duties. They go before the HCT duties so you won't need to worry about one of them for years.
Shared van duties still involve walking, the driver slightly less than the passenger, and are fine if you have a good partner.
The HCT duties are the same thing every day whereas the shared vans need a little bit of planning on a daily basis or they fail.
The daily distribution of large packets/Special Deliveries and slight adjustments to the loops that necessitates isn't everyone's cup of tea.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie...few questions!
I much prefer being in the van on my own. As someone has already said, it's great when it's raining and you want to have a break but in the summer you will bake. I'm on a rural round as well so the roads are quiet and I get to see lots of wildlife too.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 304
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Not sure I understand this bit, I've only been with RM for about a year but I go straight to the office where hopefully the van is either nearly loaded or I'm on time to do re-directions.When travelling to your destination to start yr route, do u claim back expenses such as bus fare or petrol?
If you go out in a van with someone you get on well with, then this is best option.
-
Kikidee
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 25 Jan 2015, 14:37
- Gender: Female
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Thanks for replies. With expenses I meant with regard to getting to the destination of the route you're doing - not actually getting to the office!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Kikidee wrote:Thanks for replies. With expenses I meant with regard to getting to the destination of the route you're doing - not actually getting to the office!
Yes its the responsibility of RM to get you to the delivery, however as the vast majority of duties (route) are now paired van deliveries then its unlikely you'll need to claim. However, if like mine, your office is singleton walking deliveries then they either take you out in a van, or you claim fares back. If you use your own car to get to the delivery you cannot claim.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Why don't you just move it to Blue Shirts without telling everyone? Not being funny.POSTMAN wrote:Moved to Blue shirts.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Newbie...few questions!
So the OP knows what happened, we used to get claims of interfering with free speech when we just moved it without comment.Bahia Feliz wrote:Why don't you just move it to Blue Shirts without telling everyone? Not being funny.POSTMAN wrote:Moved to Blue shirts.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Newbie...few questions!
Free speech?
In rm?
On a Tuesday?
Lol
Need a clockwork orange smiley.
In rm?
On a Tuesday?
Lol
Need a clockwork orange smiley.
I won
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Newbie...few questions!
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.