ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Floater shafted
-
knoxycube
- Posts: 77
- Joined: 31 Aug 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Floater shafted
We have just had another resign again, we have a local agreement in our office that if the duty holder works his day off then the floater gets moved elsewhere.
But last week the area rep said floater can't be moved but local rep told him about local agreement and area rep changed his mind.
I kicked up a fuss about it and it looks like we are going to vote on it again but it won't change as floaters are outnumbered.
Do I have to abide by this local agreement? Is there anyway to fight it as it's unfair for everyone to vote on an issue that effects just the floaters. If I sign for a floating duty then surely I should be left on it?
But last week the area rep said floater can't be moved but local rep told him about local agreement and area rep changed his mind.
I kicked up a fuss about it and it looks like we are going to vote on it again but it won't change as floaters are outnumbered.
Do I have to abide by this local agreement? Is there anyway to fight it as it's unfair for everyone to vote on an issue that effects just the floaters. If I sign for a floating duty then surely I should be left on it?
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Floater shafted
There may be a local agreement in your office that if the duty holder works his day off then the floater gets moved elsewhere but that's not how it should be. 
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
In order for a local agreement to carry any weight it has to be underpinned by a national agreement, ask to see the national agreement that underpins this one because the Way Forward is the agreement on resourcing jobs and I can't remember seeing anything that says floaters can be bumped off their duty to make overtime easier for the duty holder.
In some rare occasions it may be necessary to move someone due to business requirements but that should only be in circumstances where particular trained staff are needed elsewhere.
In some rare occasions it may be necessary to move someone due to business requirements but that should only be in circumstances where particular trained staff are needed elsewhere.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
I must say when I do overtime on my day off I don't mind where I work in fact it makes a change
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
It is amazing how a Rep like that can so obviously abuse his powers... It should have been the Rep that challenges a manager on this sort of action rather than an office voting to put something that is clearly unfair in place.
Walkholders vs Floaters - no contest!
Walkholders vs Floaters - no contest!
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
By the way I am getting moved also tomorrow from one of the easier rounds in the office to one of the most difficult. The walk I am supposed to be on is now going to be put on OT for the Worms and lap dogs...
I really should have been left alone while the other (harder) round is put on OT but managers are never fair, are they? The OT gangs will have gone to the manager to say 'I do not want to do that round'; and manager will not call the their bluff but goes 'operational needs'...
I really should have been left alone while the other (harder) round is put on OT but managers are never fair, are they? The OT gangs will have gone to the manager to say 'I do not want to do that round'; and manager will not call the their bluff but goes 'operational needs'...
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Floater shafted
Yes, and that's your choice.terry2972 wrote:I must say when I do overtime on my day off I don't mind where I work in fact it makes a change
I might offer to do overtime on my own round but I would NOT do so if the floater wasn't perfectly happy to do other than mine.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Floater shafted
I think it will do the duty holders good to do other walk occasionally. Manager just want the walk covered and don't care if it upset you.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32794
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
Kudos to Fish.
Give these scumbags hell Knoxy!
Give these scumbags hell Knoxy!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
postypie
- Posts: 435
- Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
Floaters...do you mean spare posties or rota posties?
Last edited by postypie on 28 Jan 2015, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Floater shafted
The union allowed MC staff to vote on doing the leaflets for free even though they don't even touch them and it only effects delivery staff so this seems to be standard practice within the RM and union now.knoxycube wrote:
Do I have to abide by this local agreement? Is there anyway to fight it as it's unfair for everyone to vote on an issue that effects just the floaters. If I sign for a floating duty then surely I should be left on it?
Most if not all offices are understaffed and management are doing whatever it takes to get walks covered. I'm sure if they called the over timers bluff they would do the crap walks, but they won't call their bluff just in case it back fires. You've got more chance of borrowing a fiver off a manager than see them do any real work.
It is crappy and you should be given the choice to stay on your duty with o/t being offered on what needs covering. In reality we are managed by worms and work with alot of selfish tossers who couldn't give a rats arse about anyone but themselves.
Good luck fighting it but I think you'll just be pissing in the wind unfortunately!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
Delivery staff outnumber MC staff by a huge numberJudgee wrote:The union allowed MC staff to vote on doing the leaflets for free even though they don't even touch them and it only effects delivery staff so this seems to be standard practice within the RM and union now.knoxycube wrote:
Do I have to abide by this local agreement? Is there anyway to fight it as it's unfair for everyone to vote on an issue that effects just the floaters. If I sign for a floating duty then surely I should be left on it?![]()
Most if not all offices are understaffed and management are doing whatever it takes to get walks covered. I'm sure if they called the over timers bluff they would do the crap walks, but they won't call their bluff just in case it back fires. You've got more chance of borrowing a fiver off a manager than see them do any real work.
It is crappy and you should be given the choice to stay on your duty with o/t being offered on what needs covering. In reality we are managed by worms and work with alot of selfish tossers who couldn't give a rats arse about anyone but themselves.
Good luck fighting it but I think you'll just be pissing in the wind unfortunately!
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: Floater shafted
Did I mention numbers? No
Did they have a vote on something not affecting them? Yes

Did they have a vote on something not affecting them? Yes
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
lylehillboonen
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Re: Floater shafted
I think to be crying that you are moved off your duty for operational needs is a bit lame. Welcome to the real world. There will always be the brown noses who resemble the teachers pets in school who gurn and yap and get their own way that is the same in all workplaces.......stand up for yourself and work to your time if you are moved off your rota and remember that the managers will be used to do the dirty work for the shareholders and cast aside BEFORE us foot soldiers.
-
Chelseablue
- Posts: 2222
- Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
- Gender: Female
Re: Floater shafted
I get moved a lot too , there's guys I know who've done near a year workin there day off on there own walk while every week the floater gets moved to anything.