ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jules7
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 17:24
Gender: Female

Transfer

Post by Jules7 »

Does anybody know the correct process for requesting a transfer to a different office.
jacksy
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 18:02

Re: Transfer

Post by jacksy »

I transferred to a new office last year. Officially you supposed to ask the DOM and he will look internally on the website for you. I wouldn't hold out much hope though.
From recent experience I would try the area manager they have a lot of offices to cover and would know what offices are short and so on. It's not easy and you have to keep pressing them, but I eventually got the transfer after about 6 months.
jbbicker
Posts: 15
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 14:31
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by jbbicker »

I transferred from Bristol to Wolverhampton about 18 months ago. My DOM was very helpful and emailed the local offices to where I was moving but none of them had vacancies for a full-timer. Luckily an office slightly further away (20-30 minutes drive, depending on traffic) agreed to take me and the transfer went through very quickly and without any problems. I've since tried to transfer to one of the closer offices to where I live but all seem reluctant to take on a full-timer. There's other people in my office, all part-timers, who have found offices willing to take them on but for the DOM to block it as it was inconvenient for his staffing. All in all, based on my experiences and the experiences of people I know, getting a transfer is not an easy process. You've got more chance if you're part-time, and possibly more chance if you're moving long distance, but I would suggest doing some of the work for yourself, keep ringing up the office(s) you're interested in moving to and see if they'll take you on.
dooby1
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by dooby1 »

In 12 years with RM I have transferred from London to Cornwall and Cornwall to Devon. The best way to do it is work out where you want to go and then pay that DOM a visit. In the current climate I would expect a reduction in hours as it seems any full time vacancies are usually filled with PT staff. I started on 40 hours, went to 32, then to 25 and am now 40 again. It all works out eventually if you're in for the long haul. Hope this helps
Lou84
Posts: 162
Joined: 09 May 2012, 21:42
Gender: Female

Re: Transfer

Post by Lou84 »

I'm also trying to arrange a transfer, I've been applying for the jobs as they come up online but I've also emailed the offices direct and had some success.

What area you looking to transfer too ?

Good luck
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Word of Warning Jules. IF you go down the well trod road of "doing it all yourself" just be careful when your Transfer comes through. Check the details and definitely get something in writing. I know most Managers can't write (or you'd think they couldn't the way they try to avoid it) but a colleague of mine transferred under the proviso of "Yeah no problem we can give you 40 hours work". Only to discover it was only a 20 hour contract! :arrrghhh

So read the small print (remember a verbal agreement is worth the paper it's written on) and good luck with your transfer :thumbup .
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by wacko74 »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Word of Warning Jules. IF you go down the well trod road of "doing it all yourself" just be careful when your Transfer comes through. Check the details and definitely get something in writing. I know most Managers can't write (or you'd think they couldn't the way they try to avoid it) but a colleague of mine transferred under the proviso of "Yeah no problem we can give you 40 hours work". Only to discover it was only a 20 hour contract! :arrrghhh

So read the small print (remember a verbal agreement is worth the paper it's written on) and good luck with your transfer :thumbup .
I heard that one guy went through the transfer process on the internal system and got offered a position at his requested D.O. and when he turned up for work there on the Monday morning they knew nothing about it and they didn't need anyone!
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Ricardo44 »

If you get offered a transfer you should get a letter from H.R stating the location of the office you are moving to, your contract hours at the new office and a start date.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Anyone confirm the best option I should take?

Our office is doing a revision and by all accounts there won't be enough positions available for all and I'm last in. There is a job currently advertised online that would suit me so should I say to the DOM tomorrow to put me forward for it, would that be best approach?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I'd be tempted to cover my own backside Jimmy and "Jump before I was pushed". Unless you're in really wonderful office! :Very Happy You don't owe the DOM anything, but be aware he will not want to let you go (if it suits you) if it doesn't suit him, he may well delay you until it's too late and you lose out on that vacancy. :no no

I'd try HR and, if the DOM delays, the well trod route of Office Union Rep & Area Union Rep. In fact nowadays I normally just give a nod to the Office Rep and phone the Area Rep direct. He carries more clout and has no nest to feather. Good Luck. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Claudiasdad
Posts: 14
Joined: 20 Jul 2014, 18:50
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by Claudiasdad »

wacko74 wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:Word of Warning Jules. IF you go down the well trod road of "doing it all yourself" just be careful when your Transfer comes through. Check the details and definitely get something in writing. I know most Managers can't write (or you'd think they couldn't the way they try to avoid it) but a colleague of mine transferred under the proviso of "Yeah no problem we can give you 40 hours work". Only to discover it was only a 20 hour contract! :arrrghhh

So read the small print (remember a verbal agreement is worth the paper it's written on) and good luck with your transfer :thumbup .
I heard that one guy went through the transfer process on the internal system and got offered a position at his requested D.O. and when he turned up for work there on the Monday morning they knew nothing about it and they didn't need anyone!
Good advice this happened to me recently when I transferred from delivery to mail center , my old Dom ( not a nice person) told me £75 shift allowance which turned out to be £50 so always get things in writing as in case it goes wrong under a verbal agreement rm will wash their hands of it :evil/mad
Gold Fox
Posts: 313
Joined: 06 Jun 2014, 20:50
Gender: Female

Re: Transfer

Post by Gold Fox »

I ask my union rep for help ( transfer ).. it was waste of time, talk to your DOM and that's it ( why we have union rep? they are there for their own interest .. easy duty and plenty of ghost over time .)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Transfer

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Gold Fox wrote:I ask my union rep for help ( transfer ).. it was waste of time, talk to your DOM and that's it ( why we have union rep? they are there for their own interest .. easy duty and plenty of ghost over time .)
What did you expect the rep to do. Its not within their responsibility beyond advising you of your rights. He can't apply for the transfer for you, he can't refuse or accept it, he can only help if your rights are overridden, or advise you if something goes wrong. If the transfer goes ahead with no problems the rep is not required.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 304
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Transfer

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I'd be tempted to cover my own backside Jimmy and "Jump before I was pushed". Unless you're in really wonderful office! :Very Happy You don't owe the DOM anything, but be aware he will not want to let you go (if it suits you) if it doesn't suit him, he may well delay you until it's too late and you lose out on that vacancy. :no no

I'd try HR and, if the DOM delays, the well trod route of Office Union Rep & Area Union Rep. In fact nowadays I normally just give a nod to the Office Rep and phone the Area Rep direct. He carries more clout and has no nest to feather. Good Luck. :thumbup
Union rep told me everything has went through on the transfer on Friday but DOM hasn't mentioned it, seems only a date to be agreed and he has delegated that to one of the postie's who stands in for him when he is off, in the meantime another vacancy has come up that is more appealing, no harm in doing what's best for myself and I'll be giving them a tinkle tomorrow. :Very Happy