ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Should I be getting overtime pay?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dsd_uk
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 12:05
Gender: Male

Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by dsd_uk »

Hi,

Yesterday I finished my first full week with the royal mail, I'm on a 24 hour part time contract, initially my start time was stated to be 09:30 to which it was for the first couple of days. The rest of the week they asked me to come in at 09:00, to which I did. Nobody has said anything to me about overtime, should I be getting 30 minutes overtime per day for coming in at 9:00 instead of 9:30? And if so can overtime be backdated?

If anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it,
Cheers.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Yes, should I be getting 30 minutes overtime per day for coming in at 9:00 instead of 9:30 :nana and, yes, it can overtime be backdated :nana
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16695
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Unless they also told you they were making your finish time 30 minutes earlier as well?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
dsd_uk
Posts: 5
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 12:05
Gender: Male

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by dsd_uk »

I haven't been told too much at all too to be honest, just to start at 9. Hopefully get it all ironed out tomorrow.
Cheers.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by Darren Bent »

ask an experience postal work next to you to make sure you get your overtime as managers sometimes don't tell new people how to do this properly.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Get a small diary, that fits in your pocket so you don't leave it at home, and write down ALL your hours in it. With Start and Finish times and what duty you covered. :thumbup

As a Part Timer you're going to get moved around and they'll expect you to do extra hours to cover different duties, lapsing, taking out extra loops from failed walks etc. That's why Royal Mail employs Part Timers, you're a bit of an Emergency Response Force! :crazy:

Bearing in mind that you don't get paid until the following week it's easy to forget what hours you did, on what duty, and I personally think some Managers rely on that to save on their budget. ;liar When you get your pay slip double check your hours with theirs. If there's a difference I'd first just mention it to your Manager, it might be a genuine mistake, and then if nothing's corrected the following payslip. Write him a letter stating dates, times & duties etc.

This has several reasons, Firstly the Manager realises that you are keeping track and he may not try it on again (just because you're new). Secondly it creates a "Paper Trail" so if you get no joy you can go further and you have a record that you've taken it up with your DOM. It may sound a bit Anal but if possible I'd keep records of times & duties on your PC, along with copies of your letters. :shock:
ALWAYS
get this sort of thing confirmed by the DOM, do not give them any room to wriggle out of anything.

Lastly DO NOT ASSUME that just because you've started early for a week on one particular duty, that you can then carry on coming in early the following week. You will hear the well practised phrase, "Did anyone tell you to come in early? That was your choice and I'm not paying you any overtime"! ;liar Don't give them any room to wriggle out of anything. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by Justanotherstar »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Get a small diary, that fits in your pocket so you don't leave it at home, and write down ALL your hours in it. With Start and Finish times and what duty you covered. :thumbup

As a Part Timer you're going to get moved around and they'll expect you to do extra hours to cover different duties, lapsing, taking out extra loops from failed walks etc. That's why Royal Mail employs Part Timers, you're a bit of an Emergency Response Force! :crazy:

Bearing in mind that you don't get paid until the following week it's easy to forget what hours you did, on what duty, and I personally think some Managers rely on that to save on their budget. ;liar When you get your pay slip double check your hours with theirs. If there's a difference I'd first just mention it to your Manager, it might be a genuine mistake, and then if nothing's corrected the following payslip. Write him a letter stating dates, times & duties etc.

This has several reasons, Firstly the Manager realises that you are keeping track and he may not try it on again (just because you're new). Secondly it creates a "Paper Trail" so if you get no joy you can go further and you have a record that you've taken it up with your DOM. It may sound a bit Anal but if possible I'd keep records of times & duties on your PC, along with copies of your letters. :shock:
ALWAYS
get this sort of thing confirmed by the DOM, do not give them any room to wriggle out of anything.

Lastly DO NOT ASSUME that just because you've started early for a week on one particular duty, that you can then carry on coming in early the following week. You will hear the well practised phrase, "Did anyone tell you to come in early? That was your choice and I'm not paying you any overtime"! ;liar Don't give them any room to wriggle out of anything. :thumbup

Very good advice :thumbup

The amount of times I've looked at my payslip and thought it didn't look right but hadn't written it down....started doing it a few weeks ago, makes life so much easier...
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Should I be getting overtime pay?

Post by Barbel »

dsd_uk wrote:I haven't been told too much at all too to be honest, just to start at 9. Hopefully get it all ironed out tomorrow.
Cheers.
One thing you will learn over time is that no one tells you anything at RM. You are left to your own devices and have to ask if you want anything. Make sure you claim for that overtime or you won't get it if you don't chase it up.