ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best walking shoes 2015

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

I know this subject has been discussed over and over again in this forum, but as most of the threads on the subject are before 2010 and models change, I thought to ask once more.
I am looking for outdoor walking or running shoes for under £100 in black that are comfortable, light (no boots, or steel-toes) and durable for many hours of walking. Best would be anatomic.
35wayno
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by 35wayno »

Hi,

Try brooks glycerin,

2 types that would suit your budget

Adrenaline gtx ( completely waterproof)
Brooke's beast 12 or 14 - incredibly light and durable. They have lasted me 6 months before having to replace, however I do walk very heavily to the outside of my heel ( over pronation ) I feel sure they would last a lot longer for someone wit a normal walking gait.

Don't forget that if you NEED these for work, i.e, medical reason you can claim between £30 and up to full value, persist with your manager and show him evidence, atos referrals, doctors note.

Hope this helps
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

Hey. Thanks for the recommedation. They look really neat. I can't find any information though from where I could buy the ones I want (black, size 11) here in Bristol. I'll have to look more, but I need to try them on and see how they feel. Cheers
35wayno
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by 35wayno »

Hi,

They are pretty readily available,
Try start fitness, they do pretty good sales especially for larger sizes

Cheers
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Hitcher »

I'm going to give up with RM shoes and get a letter from my doctor so I can get a decent pair for work. How are these for plantar fasciitis suffers?
35wayno
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 30
Joined: 02 Dec 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by 35wayno »

Hitcher,

I suffer with P.F. And also achilles tendonitis.
That was the reason I had to buy my own shoes.
The brooks beast is fantastic, and I would recommend them to anyone in our job.

Hope this helps
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Hitcher »

Thanks.

What's the actual procedure for claiming money back?
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Justanotherstar »

I've been wearing these for just over a week now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271733270475? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice and comfortable, much lighter than the YDS! Goretex lined so waterproof, they seem like they could handle a fair few months of postal abuse...actually considering getting another pair since it looks like i'll be made full time in the coming weeks

The picture on that listing is crap but they look pretty smart (Considering they're Reebok lol)
GoingPostal86
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 132
Joined: 02 Dec 2012, 06:49
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by GoingPostal86 »

If you have an accident in non RM issued shoes doesnt that get you in trouble?
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Hitcher »

Not if you've got a doctors note.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by scoobymunster »

Can anyone recommend a pair that are available in size 13? I'm only seeing shoes that go up to 12. :arrrghhh
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

Justanotherstar wrote:I've been wearing these for just over a week now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271733270475? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice and comfortable, much lighter than the YDS! Goretex lined so waterproof, they seem like they could handle a fair few months of postal abuse...actually considering getting another pair since it looks like i'll be made full time in the coming weeks

The picture on that listing is crap but they look pretty smart (Considering they're Reebok lol)

Wow, I was thinking to buy those ones. Good to hear you find them good. Thanks a lot.
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

scoobymunster wrote:Can anyone recommend a pair that are available in size 13? I'm only seeing shoes that go up to 12. :arrrghhh
These are 13 http://www.startfitness.co.uk/mens/foot ... 1d068.html

You can find more 13s on the same site in different colors.
answer=42
Posts: 64
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by answer=42 »

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis mid last year. I didn't know how I was going to carry on delivering. The pain was shocking, not all the time it just came in stabbing episodes that lasted a few seconds and I couldn't avoid either crying out or swearing wherever I was, embarrassing at times it was like I had Terrets. It was worst when I was driving I just had to try and stop the van until it went away.

Now I kid you not. I bought a pair of 'Orthotic insoles Full length with arch supports, metatarsal and heel Cushion for plantar fasciitis treatment' from wellbeing on amazon due to a recommendation on this forum. At first I wore them with the crap old trainers and they did improve the situation quite a lot. Then I got a pair of YDS trainers.
BRILLIANT. After a week or so I hadn't had any of these painful 'attacks' and touch wood I have not had a problem for the last 2 months.

For me the best RM walking shoes for 2015 are the YDS trainers with these insoles in (which cost a tenner) and are now in their second pair of YDS and still performing.

I'd recommend giving this combination a try. Don't know why you'd spend the difference between £30 and whatever a gucci pair of trainers cost when you
a. don't know whether the gucci trainers are going to solve the problem and
b. could maybe get it sorted for a tenner.
Ket
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 8
Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 14:45
Gender: Male

Re: Best walking shoes 2015

Post by Ket »

@answer=42

Could you please post a link for the YDS trainers?