ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Meal Relief Query
-
dsd_uk
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 12:05
- Gender: Male
Meal Relief Query
Hi, new starter this week on deliveries, just wanted to quickly query the meal relief situation.
I'm contracted 9am - 2pm in which I believe I 'm entitled to a 20 minute meal break. I never take this 20 minute break at any point, I just work straight through. So when I finish work at 2pm should I be putting 2:20pm on my time sheet or just 2pm as I have been doing?
Any info would be gladly appreciated.
Cheers.
I'm contracted 9am - 2pm in which I believe I 'm entitled to a 20 minute meal break. I never take this 20 minute break at any point, I just work straight through. So when I finish work at 2pm should I be putting 2:20pm on my time sheet or just 2pm as I have been doing?
Any info would be gladly appreciated.
Cheers.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Meal Relief Query
It's 30 mins, and yes, if you are determined not to take your break, then add 30 mins at the end, so if you finish at 2:00 your actual finish time is 2:30.
-
dsd_uk
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 12:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Relief Query
That's cleared that one up!
Cheers for that.
Cheers for that.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Meal Relief Query
But.......... a word to the side, and this is why you should take your break, the manager can refuse to pay overtime as the law says statutory breaks should be taken somewhere around the middle of the working day, therefore he could say that he thought you had your break and finished at 2pm.
Take your break, although you'll probably have no trouble claiming the extra 30 minutes on the end of your shift, one day they will query it and you will have trouble trying to claim it back of them.
Take your break, although you'll probably have no trouble claiming the extra 30 minutes on the end of your shift, one day they will query it and you will have trouble trying to claim it back of them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Relief Query
You don't have the right to use your scheduled meal relief to book off early (Way Forward Agreement:single breaks/split breaks). If you don't use it, you lose it so you're in dodgy territory booking overtime until 2.30pm and going home at 2pm.
My advice...start taking your breaks.
My advice...start taking your breaks.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: Meal Relief Query
Every office seems to work differently but I am with Fishtank on this one.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
thebiggestman
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Relief Query
Take your break no ifs buts or maybes that's what people in the past have given sacrifices, strikes and pay for so you have a better quality of worklife. You'd scream murder if they told you to work your annual leave, same principle you're killing the job
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Relief Query
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But.......... a word to the side, and this is why you should take your break, the manager can refuse to pay overtime as the law says statutory breaks should be taken somewhere around the middle of the working day, therefore he could say that he thought you had your break and finished at 2pm.
Take your break, although you'll probably have no trouble claiming the extra 30 minutes on the end of your shift, one day they will query it and you will have trouble trying to claim it back of them.
Though Tbt the op is not entitled to a statutory break on a 5 hour shift so the law doesn't cone into it unfortunately
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Meal Relief Query
You can take half before you leave the office and half at the end or take it all before you leave the office but none at the end or lose it all and work till your time.
-
dsd_uk
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 12:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Relief Query
Tomorrow at high noon....I'm going to have me a break!
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Meal Relief Query
if you are on a van share a fun time to take it is just when everything has been tied up and loaded into the van ready to go, that can set the cat among the pigeons 
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Meal Relief Query
Good idea I would.zx135 wrote:if you are on a van share a fun time to take it is just when everything has been tied up and loaded into the van ready to go, that can set the cat among the pigeons
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Meal Relief Query
Like I said take half or full if you are with a full time employee they get 40 min so 20-20 or 40 in one go so if you have 30 he can load the van for ten minutes if he only takes half or vice versa if he takes 40 in one go.dsd_uk wrote:Tomorrow at high noon....I'm going to have me a break!
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Meal Relief Query
Yes thats true thats why I said Statutory breaks, he won't get a statutory break but will get a Contractual break and rules regarding those breaks should be the same unless RM want to run the risk of unfair or unequal practices at an ET.zx135 wrote:TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But.......... a word to the side, and this is why you should take your break, the manager can refuse to pay overtime as the law says statutory breaks should be taken somewhere around the middle of the working day, therefore he could say that he thought you had your break and finished at 2pm.
Take your break, although you'll probably have no trouble claiming the extra 30 minutes on the end of your shift, one day they will query it and you will have trouble trying to claim it back of them.
Though Tbt the op is not entitled to a statutory break on a 5 hour shift so the law doesn't come into it unfortunately
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.