ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Missing packet

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Hetfield
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 22:37
Gender: Male

Missing packet

Post by Hetfield »

Hi. I put a P739 card through a door last week for a packet (no answer). Today the person came to pick it up, but the indoor staff were unable to find it. I have been getting messed around a lot recently and can't rememder the house let alone the packet (I had never done that walk before). Where do I stand with this? I always keep my bag clipped shut, and look around to make sure I haven't left anything behind. If I did mislay it, it certainly wasn't on purpose. However, it is possible for the indoor staff to have mislaid it too. Am I to blame?
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Nondescript »

re you sure you were on that walk on that particular day? I'm a reserve too and have been blamed recently for two separate incidents, which on closer inspection were found to have occurred on my day off :nana , so check and make sure it isn't a case of the duty holder passing the buck.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Justanotherstar »

This is why you're supposed to initial the cards lol...I had it before when I was shipped to a different office...took them 3 days to find it when I told them, If I have left it anywhere it'll be in the HCT in the side pocket...they were looking in the wrong trolly :d'oh!
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Ricardo44 »

In our office we have to book in all our return packets..surname and street and house number on the packet..on sheets of paper which are dated then collected and kept by the locker staff. If a packet can't be found they check the sheets for the date on the 739 card. If it is written on the sheets they know that they have it somewhere but if it hasn't been booked in it is down to the postman who was on that delivery on the date on the card which can also be checked to see who it was.

Shouldn't this be the case in every office.?
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by ganda »

There's no proof either way. My experience is that both the locker staff and the postie can be to blame. I have found parcels on the shelf not tapped in to the data base or hiding down the sleeve of a york and similarly parcels still in the van or pouch. Parcel have been delivered, but after the 739 has been left the, the recipient comes to the door or a neighbour has said I'll have that, and then someone finds the card and comes down for a parcel that isn't there. There can be many reasons, so to point at the postie alone is wrong.
Hetfield
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 22:37
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Hetfield »

Ok. Many thanks for the replies.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I wouldn't get too stressed......We're all human & we all make mistakes. As mentioned: Could be your mistake or someone elses. Think about the MILLIONS of packets we handle every day, it's inevitable some mistakes are going to be made. Especially now when most of us feel under pressure to get the job done and sometimes run (not in that way) around like headless chickens! :crazy:
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
thehobbit
Posts: 76
Joined: 26 Jun 2014, 12:14
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by thehobbit »

Hetfield wrote:Ok. Many thanks for the replies.
happened to me 3 times recently bags checked, taken in the office quizzed , asked if i had delivered them , of course no idea, every one of them turned up from the callers for redelivery a couple of days later with no explaination , one was delivered in the afternoon by another postie which i found out when i asked the customer if it had turned up, not once was i told they had been found , so i would not worry it is sitting in the callers on the wrong shelf
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Sir Henry »

Happened 3 times since December with me. It's been happening more often since the 4 day week peeps started spending 1 day p/w in the callers office.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by rubberbond »

Justanotherstar wrote:This is why you're supposed to initial the cards lol...I had it before when I was shipped to a different office...took them 3 days to find it when I told them, If I have left it anywhere it'll be in the HCT in the side pocket...they were looking in the wrong trolly :d'oh!
How will initialling the card help find the packet?
Stuff can't be found, it happens on occasions ,but it usually turns up when they look in the right place. Don't hold your breath for the apology though.
Last edited by rubberbond on 21 Jan 2015, 15:41, edited 3 times in total.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by datasaint »

The sooner tracking for all packets comes in the better.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12181
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by SpacePhoenix »

norm wrote:The sooner tracking for all packets comes in the better.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=67645" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hetfield
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Jan 2015, 22:37
Gender: Male

Re: Missing packet

Post by Hetfield »

Thanks again for the replies folks. Nice to know I'm not alone. Unfortunately we seem to work in an environment where the employee is automatically blamed first ask questions second.