ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Dalelad »

Well, about 4 months ago I left Royal Mail in persuit of a new career that offered me full time status. After going through a long training process to become a bus driver, i've now been out in service for just over 6 weeks. I can quite honestly say its the best move i've ever made. Apart from the fact that im now a permanent, full time employee, I also enjoy carting the people of Manchester around in my double decker. Like any job there are always a few downsides. I have to work shifts that start as early as 4am and shifts that finish as late as 1.30am though I am getting used to it and I don't mind the variety. No 2 days are the same as there are 50 routes that you need to learn and you do upto 5 different routes everyday. I spoke to one of my ex colleagues the other day and asked him how things were at RM. He told me the place was going from bad to worse and that morale was at an all time low. As a result, im getting him an application form as he too is fed up of being stuck in a dead end job with no chance of being given a full time job.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that since leaving, i've not looked back and don't have 1 single regret about jumping ship. Though for some morbid reason I still have a look on here to see whats going on. I guess im just nosey like that!
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Ricardo44 »

Good luck to you in your new job. You have found a way of escaping from RM and getting a full time job as well so well done. :Applause
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 5038
Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by baldrick »

Well done on getting a joy you enjoy. I think you are lucky, most jobs seem to be getting worse these days, The longer serving bus drivers will probably tell you that job used to be better too. But it's good to remember there is life outside Royal Mail.
donein
Posts: 136
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 10:53
Location: north devon

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by donein »

Dalelad wrote:Well, about 4 months ago I left Royal Mail in persuit of a new career that offered me full time status. After going through a long training process to become a bus driver, i've now been out in service for just over 6 weeks. I can quite honestly say its the best move i've ever made. Apart from the fact that im now a permanent, full time employee, I also enjoy carting the people of Manchester around in my double decker. Like any job there are always a few downsides. I have to work shifts that start as early as 4am and shifts that finish as late as 1.30am though I am getting used to it and I don't mind the variety. No 2 days are the same as there are 50 routes that you need to learn and you do upto 5 different routes everyday. I spoke to one of my ex colleagues the other day and asked him how things were at RM. He told me the place was going from bad to worse and that morale was at an all time low. As a result, im getting him an application form as he too is fed up of being stuck in a dead end job with no chance of being given a full time job.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that since leaving, i've not looked back and don't have 1 single regret about jumping ship. Though for some morbid reason I still have a look on here to see whats going on. I guess im just nosey like that!

fair play to you and best of luck :Applause , the rm ship is sinking to new lows grim :Boo hoo!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by DB1100 »

Hmm,have you got space on your bus for a few parcels? and maybe do a few houses when you are parked at a bus stop,good luck pal and well done.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Dalelad »

Cheers for the comments guys. It was a slight risk when I took the job because if i'd failed the cpc and driving tests, i'd have had no job at all. But luckily it turned out alright in the end. I'd love to help you out with some parcels but some scrote would probably jump on the bus and nick my float while im delivering!! I've done my fair share of parcel deliveries now after a 6 year stint at Yodel and 15 month stint at RM. I'll leave that in your capable hands now :wink:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Given the understandable dissatisfaction with Royal Mail so regularly and eloquently expressed on this forum it's perhaps surprising that more don't consider a different job. :shock:
I'm better off here, despite always being knackered, than I was in the better paid job that accounted for most of my working life yet many of my former dissatisfied colleagues wouldn't consider anything else. :crazy:
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I think most of us just like to moan about something Lizard. :Boo hoo! I hate it when Managers say, "If you don't like the job...go and get another one"! But TBO they are correct, although there's obviously a lot more to consider. Especially for the married Posties with kids. Now that the job situation is supposedly improving I hope more Posties feel able to move on :hmmmm

Well done Dalelad on your move...I know a few Posties that have gone down that route (see what I did there) :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
donovan5
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Jul 2011, 15:33
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by donovan5 »

Well done escaping :Very Happy good that you have a full time job,I think the part time low hours nonsense we run now is a disgrace.
Dalelad
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 62
Joined: 09 May 2013, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Dalelad »

Don't get me wrong, if I was full time or was guaranteed to be full time one day, I would have stuck it out. Apart from all the carp we have to put up with from the line managers and dim, when u get out there on the road its not all that bad. But unfortunately RM have gone down this employment route and now they have installed a revolving door. People start there part time under the illusion that one day they'll get a full time job. After being there a while u soon realise that this will never be the case. So you hammer the O/T to try and fill the void. Then RM employ a load more part timers and O/T dries up. That is then the kick up the backside u need to find a new career. I urge any part timer out there to just keep an eye out for opportunities. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Dalelad wrote:Don't get me wrong, if I was full time or was guaranteed to be full time one day, I would have stuck it out. Apart from all the carp we have to put up with from the line managers and dim, when u get out there on the road its not all that bad. But unfortunately RM have gone down this employment route and now they have installed a revolving door. People start there part time under the illusion that one day they'll get a full time job. After being there a while u soon realise that this will never be the case. So you hammer the O/T to try and fill the void. Then RM employ a load more part timers and O/T dries up. That is then the kick up the backside u need to find a new career. I urge any part timer out there to just keep an eye out for opportunities. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
And that's despite the commitment the CWC achieved for most jobs being full time. :shock:
Tman
Posts: 4144
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Tman »

Funny how many posties have said the old "best thing I ever did..." statement (although human nature being what is is, they're highly unlikely to ever say that they wished they were back in RM, and lose face :silenced ) and then a year on, they're they are, back at the frames again.
I suppose with the shrinking workforce in RM that won't be an option either, in the future.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16695
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by clashcityrocker »

They were interviewing at our place this week.
One of the applicants was a bus driver who wanted to swap his f/t job for a p/t job at RM.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Gilly856
Posts: 41
Joined: 13 Nov 2014, 13:29
Gender: Male

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by Gilly856 »

clashcityrocker wrote:They were interviewing at our place this week.
One of the applicants was a bus driver who wanted to swap his f/t job for a p/t job at RM.
Well I have just given up twelve years bus driveing to take a part time job, and believe me this is a better job by some distance. I can think of no advantages of driveing a bus.
jack
Posts: 299
Joined: 28 Aug 2007, 14:32

Re: 4 months on, i'm a whole lot happier

Post by jack »

Gilly856 wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:They were interviewing at our place this week.
One of the applicants was a bus driver who wanted to swap his f/t job for a p/t job at RM.
Well I have just given up twelve years bus driveing to take a part time job, and believe me this is a better job by some distance. I can think of no advantages of driveing a bus.

Did you have blakey has the bus conductor :hmmmm

Image
'Royal Mail leaders could not lead a worm, they'll never take our pride cos that's what we earn'