ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Absorb 7 Walks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Absorb 7 Walks

Post by Tuffers1875 »

Absorb 7 walks in an office of 27 walks when TNT start delivering their own mail we were told today :shock: Ok, what happens when the office can't cope with covering 7 walks? More overtime for extended which equals less profits for RM or more work that doesn't get delivered and back logs? Either way it's s**t street. And I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again. Go in on time, take your brake and fook em. That's what I say!
dundee
Posts: 41
Joined: 03 Mar 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by dundee »

Tuffers1875 wrote:Absorb 7 walks in an office of 27 walks when TNT start delivering their own mail we were told today :shock: Ok, what happens when the office can't cope with covering 7 walks? More overtime for extended which equals less profits for RM or more work that doesn't get delivered and back logs? Either way it's s**t street. And I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again. Go in on time, take your brake and fook em. That's what I say!
[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Tuffers1875 wrote:Absorb 7 walks in an office of 27 walks when TNT start delivering their own mail we were told today :shock: Ok, what happens when the office can't cope with covering 7 walks? More overtime for extended which equals less profits for RM or more work that doesn't get delivered and back logs? Either way it's s**t street. And I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again. Go in on time, take your brake and fook em. That's what I say!
If you bust a gut to get finished early then you'll absorb 7 walks, TNT or no TNT. :crazy: Simple. :thumbdown
Hitcher
Posts: 1530
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by Hitcher »

And NOW the 'finish early' guys start complaining. :arrrghhh
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by Tuffers1875 »

dundee wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:Absorb 7 walks in an office of 27 walks when TNT start delivering their own mail we were told today :shock: Ok, what happens when the office can't cope with covering 7 walks? More overtime for extended which equals less profits for RM or more work that doesn't get delivered and back logs? Either way it's s**t street. And I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again. Go in on time, take your brake and fook em. That's what I say!
[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!


I kind of get the gist of what you're trying to say.
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by rhino49 »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but does nothing to solve a current problem. The lapsing or collapsing or absorption of walks for ANY reason, whether it be drop in volume of mail, the arrival of an on street competitor or the whim of an office manager who is trying to make a bonus can all be laid at the doorstep of those who have continually and selfishly made a difficult job look easy.
Whether they have given up breaks or run like the clappers or come in an hour early (unpaid) simply to gain time for themselves when they should still have been working, or to create an earning opportunity from overtime left by those who observed the rules ... they are the ones whose past fiddles have orchestrated the current situation. Those 7 lapsed duties as an example should have been jobs for someone and now will become the norm until a bad situation gets even worse.
When I started nearly twenty years ago, I joined in the middle of industrial action and when it was over and an apparently reasonable settlement was reached, I suggested to the office rep that "well that must be it now" .... he looked me straight in the eye and said "It is never over - no matter what Royal Mail gain they will want more and no matter what you give them, it will never be enough" .
Royal Mail has truly divided and conquered their workforce, simply because the union tried to emulate them in becoming a business instead of a service. All you can hope for now is decent departure terms because within three years, THAT is what everyone will be looking for.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
secluder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 40
Joined: 30 Aug 2009, 10:59
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by secluder »

rhino49 wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing but does nothing to solve a current problem. The lapsing or collapsing or absorption of walks for ANY reason, whether it be drop in volume of mail, the arrival of an on street competitor or the whim of an office manager who is trying to make a bonus can all be laid at the doorstep of those who have continually and selfishly made a difficult job look easy.
Whether they have given up breaks or run like the clappers or come in an hour early (unpaid) simply to gain time for themselves when they should still have been working, or to create an earning opportunity from overtime left by those who observed the rules ... they are the ones whose past fiddles have orchestrated the current situation. Those 7 lapsed duties as an example should have been jobs for someone and now will become the norm until a bad situation gets even worse.
When I started nearly twenty years ago, I joined in the middle of industrial action and when it was over and an apparently reasonable settlement was reached, I suggested to the office rep that "well that must be it now" .... he looked me straight in the eye and said "It is never over - no matter what Royal Mail gain they will want more and no matter what you give them, it will never be enough" .
Royal Mail has truly divided and conquered their workforce, simply because the union tried to emulate them in becoming a business instead of a service. All you can hope for now is decent departure terms because within three years, THAT is what everyone will be looking for.
100% agreed.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by chrisj »

I think it is still cheaper to pay overtime at the same rate as the basic rate than employ more staff than you need especially when volumes are not consistent and the OT is not being paid all the time. Think about it?

As long as you are not doing ore than you were doing before then it is not a problem. Perhaps, the walks should be revised - completely revamped when the real situation has stabilised. A good revision/walk calibration to volumes is better for posties and RM than the wasteful and inefficient lapsing
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dundee wrote:[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!

Were you on the sauce last night. If not Please take on board the warning I issued and the reason why given in it.

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
tansorboy
Posts: 355
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 12:41
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by tansorboy »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dundee wrote:[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!

Were you on the sauce last night. If not Please take on board the warning I issued and the reason why given in it.

Image
He has got a point, though....
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

tansorboy wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dundee wrote:[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!

Were you on the sauce last night. If not Please take on board the warning I issued and the reason why given in it.

Image
He has got a point, though....
In my opinion he didn't, however he can make any point he wishes just don't do it with expletives and insults. This is a board to debate, not name call.

As to his point, he slagged someone off who said "I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again." Shouldn't he be congratulated for seeing the light, not castigated for past actions. Even then, there is no mention of when he "busted a gut" it might have been ages during J&F.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by Jpro747 »

dundee wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:Absorb 7 walks in an office of 27 walks when TNT start delivering their own mail we were told today :shock: Ok, what happens when the office can't cope with covering 7 walks? More overtime for extended which equals less profits for RM or more work that doesn't get delivered and back logs? Either way it's s**t street. And I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again. Go in on time, take your brake and fook em. That's what I say!
[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!


Thats some admirable passion right there! :Applause
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by OnAFlyer »

Jpro747 wrote:
dundee wrote:
Tuffers1875 wrote:Absorb 7 walks in an office of 27 walks when TNT start delivering their own mail we were told today :shock: Ok, what happens when the office can't cope with covering 7 walks? More overtime for extended which equals less profits for RM or more work that doesn't get delivered and back logs? Either way it's s**t street. And I for one won't be busting a gut to get finished early ever again. Go in on time, take your brake and fook em. That's what I say!
[/why would you bust a gut to get finished early?are you f***ing stupid?I hope you have to asorb the 7 walks serves you f***ing right arsehole,work to your f***ing time.PRICK,Ruing the job for everyone!!!!!!!


Thats some admirable passion right there! :Applause


Misguided though. RM are looking at office performance using items per work hour - if your office is consistently well under the targets then you're going to lose duties regardless of whether people are finishing early, working to time or working over. Why do you think they are moving these disliked managers to underperforming offices such as Lincoln etc - they're disliked for a reason.
The_Wax_Man
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 14:18
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by The_Wax_Man »

Lapsing and Absorption now form part of resourcing planning.

No looking back now chaps.

:cuppa
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Absorb 7 Walks

Post by Lincox »

chrisj wrote:I think it is still cheaper to pay overtime at the same rate as the basic rate than employ more staff than you need especially when volumes are not consistent and the OT is not being paid all the time. Think about it?

As long as you are not doing ore than you were doing before then it is not a problem. Perhaps, the walks should be revised - completely revamped when the real situation has stabilised. A good revision/walk calibration to volumes is better for posties and RM than the wasteful and inefficient lapsing
What happened to resourcing to workload then. If this was happening then overtime should only be minimal, purely because it is not possible to make this an exact science, but it should be suffice enough to make sure that employees are not over committing themselves and putting their health at risk. There is an immediate requirement to reintroduce maximum spans for outdoor delivery work. That would put the onus on managers and reps to properly resource to workload, and not just disregard it which I believe is what happens in the majority of offices.