ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Keeping Healthy.
-
llcoolh
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
- Gender: Male
Keeping Healthy.
Hi,
Just wondering...has any of you started doing deliveries after the age of 40? How do you manage to stay healthy and avoid stuff like hernias and ganglions while doing the job? 2 years into the job I have already had an inguinal hernia operation and have developed a massive ganglion in my ankle! How do you do it without your body taking the toll? Any tips will be much appreciated.
Just wondering...has any of you started doing deliveries after the age of 40? How do you manage to stay healthy and avoid stuff like hernias and ganglions while doing the job? 2 years into the job I have already had an inguinal hernia operation and have developed a massive ganglion in my ankle! How do you do it without your body taking the toll? Any tips will be much appreciated.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Re: Keeping Healthy.
we dont i think we're all suffering with the extended walks and evermore collapsing roll on 6 day weeks and shorter deliveries 
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
Did you have a sedentary lifestyle beforehand? Do you carry heavy bags or use the trolley? Are you fat? All of those can be detrimental to a physically demanding job and create issues.llcoolh wrote:Hi,
Just wondering...has any of you started doing deliveries after the age of 40? How do you manage to stay healthy and avoid stuff like hernias and ganglions while doing the job? 2 years into the job I have already had an inguinal hernia operation and have developed a massive ganglion in my ankle! How do you do it without your body taking the toll? Any tips will be much appreciated.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
Think we're all suffering mate. And RM does have an ageing workforce... we had some statistics on her somewhere. A lot of the older Posties in your office probably put in a lot of years when the job was easier, and when we used to have bikes.
I personally think we've started to suffer more since they removed the bikes. I NEVER had as many niggling little injuries as I now carry when we used the bikes. I think they just gave you a bit of a break on those long driveways, and between those distant houses (were now you're walking). I'll admit I did fall off and have a couple of injuries caused by bikes but just to bin them on H&S grounds is BS. Now it just feels like "Death by Walking", picking up little strains & sprains and never getting the time to rest them.
In the future I don't believe you'll see the new generation of Posties plodding on for 30 years....They'll probably move on a lot quicker after finding better jobs! In the meantime 2 things to help: Ibuprofen & Paracetamol
I personally think we've started to suffer more since they removed the bikes. I NEVER had as many niggling little injuries as I now carry when we used the bikes. I think they just gave you a bit of a break on those long driveways, and between those distant houses (were now you're walking). I'll admit I did fall off and have a couple of injuries caused by bikes but just to bin them on H&S grounds is BS. Now it just feels like "Death by Walking", picking up little strains & sprains and never getting the time to rest them.
In the future I don't believe you'll see the new generation of Posties plodding on for 30 years....They'll probably move on a lot quicker after finding better jobs! In the meantime 2 things to help: Ibuprofen & Paracetamol
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Keeping Healthy.
I started at 46 and found that after a relatively sedentary job for the previous 30 years that working as a postie was a shock to the system but within 6 months was a lot fitter and happier.llcoolh wrote:Hi,
Just wondering...has any of you started doing deliveries after the age of 40? How do you manage to stay healthy and avoid stuff like hernias and ganglions while doing the job? 2 years into the job I have already had an inguinal hernia operation and have developed a massive ganglion in my ankle! How do you do it without your body taking the toll? Any tips will be much appreciated.
Sadly the last three years, after losing the bikes and going onto park and loop have had a very adverse effect on my joints particularly and to overall physical ability in general. Now retired, after 5 months later, I am recovering from the feet upwards and wondering how anyone - no matter how fit will be able to do the job as it is, for more than a few years. Delivery is designed for a transient workforce - definitely not a job for life when all you do on days off and weekends is recover !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
My view in a nutshell. I often wonder how the runners can keep it up, then go to the gym or play football outside work too. The exuberance of youth. I often feel tempted to say "you'll be wrecked when you're forty"......rhino49 wrote:I started at 46 and found that after a relatively sedentary job for the previous 30 years that working as a postie was a shock to the system but within 6 months was a lot fitter and happier.llcoolh wrote:Hi,
Just wondering...has any of you started doing deliveries after the age of 40? How do you manage to stay healthy and avoid stuff like hernias and ganglions while doing the job? 2 years into the job I have already had an inguinal hernia operation and have developed a massive ganglion in my ankle! How do you do it without your body taking the toll? Any tips will be much appreciated.
Sadly the last three years, after losing the bikes and going onto park and loop have had a very adverse effect on my joints particularly and to overall physical ability in general. Now retired, after 5 months later, I am recovering from the feet upwards and wondering how anyone - no matter how fit will be able to do the job as it is, for more than a few years. Delivery is designed for a transient workforce - definitely not a job for life when all you do on days off and weekends is recover !!!
-
Mr_Pink
- Posts: 163
- Joined: 14 Jun 2013, 22:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
I think you'd only have to look at the sickness levels and amount of IHR to see that it really does knacker the body. Pounding the streets for hours on end with poorly designed footwear definitely doesn't do the joints any good, wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some form of class action lawsuit in the future from prematurely worn out posties.
Maybe RM should look at being less reactive to physical ailments and more proactive, might save them a lot of money in the long run.
Maybe RM should look at being less reactive to physical ailments and more proactive, might save them a lot of money in the long run.
-
llcoolh
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
Many thanks for reply guys...reading with interest 
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
It does keep you healthy and we are just being told by the media that walking briskly for 30 mins a day will help prevent all manner of ills (diabetes, heart probs, bone density etc) However, since the bikes were taken away the toll on joints is beginning to tell. The problem with RM is that seniority is king. Those that have been in longest normally have the cushy rounds. If you join late in life you don't get the easy walks/van duties and are in with the Yoof and have to perform like you are 30 years younger.
If 30 mins walking a day is the way to good health, then 4+ hours a day should make us superfit. The down side is keeping joints in good condition as you near retirement age. I can't see myself doing this for many more years.
If 30 mins walking a day is the way to good health, then 4+ hours a day should make us superfit. The down side is keeping joints in good condition as you near retirement age. I can't see myself doing this for many more years.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Keeping Healthy.
I think every postal workers have niggly injuries and strains. The key is not to push too hard and keep listening to the body. I also go dancing twice a week and walk my dog on week off or Sunday. It is hard and strongly believe absorbing need to be scrapped for our health reasons and allow us little more recovery time.
-
GoingRoundTheBend
- Posts: 108
- Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
I started two years ago at the grand old age of 44
Didn't realise this job was as demanding as it is and I tend to finish and go home for a nap
How some of the blokes get round so quick is beyond me....... even ten years ago I don't think I could have done the job as quick
Didn't realise this job was as demanding as it is and I tend to finish and go home for a nap
How some of the blokes get round so quick is beyond me....... even ten years ago I don't think I could have done the job as quick
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
Re: Keeping Healthy.
Walk your dog once a week? Lucky dog!!Darren Bent wrote:I think every postal workers have niggly injuries and strains. The key is not to push too hard and keep listening to the body. I also go dancing twice a week and walk my dog on week off or Sunday. It is hard and strongly believe absorbing need to be scrapped for our health reasons and allow us little more recovery time.
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
-
Lazycarton
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
44 and need a nap in the afternoon! Get a grip on yourself manGoingRoundTheBend wrote:I started two years ago at the grand old age of 44
Didn't realise this job was as demanding as it is and I tend to finish and go home for a nap
How some of the blokes get round so quick is beyond me....... even ten years ago I don't think I could have done the job as quick
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
I started when I was 43 and did nearly 15 years before I took EVR. I always used a bike and I think that's the reason why I've never had a hernia, bad back or other problems associated with delivery.rhino49 wrote:I started at 46 and found that after a relatively sedentary job for the previous 30 years that working as a postie was a shock to the system but within 6 months was a lot fitter and happier.llcoolh wrote:Hi,
Just wondering...has any of you started doing deliveries after the age of 40? How do you manage to stay healthy and avoid stuff like hernias and ganglions while doing the job? 2 years into the job I have already had an inguinal hernia operation and have developed a massive ganglion in my ankle! How do you do it without your body taking the toll? Any tips will be much appreciated.
Sadly the last three years, after losing the bikes and going onto park and loop have had a very adverse effect on my joints particularly and to overall physical ability in general. Now retired, after 5 months later, I am recovering from the feet upwards and wondering how anyone - no matter how fit will be able to do the job as it is, for more than a few years. Delivery is designed for a transient workforce - definitely not a job for life when all you do on days off and weekends is recover !!!
I know of plenty of other posties that used to (and some still do) run round with heavy bags on their backs and they all have various health issues like those mentioned.
There is no doubt in my mind that, whilst bikes were not suitable for every delivery duty, they were ideal for taking the weight off your shoulder and saving your joints from the constant impact that continuous walking involves.
As has been said, the days of people doing the job for 30 -40+ years are well and truly over.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping Healthy.
Agree Cyclemech
Saw an old postie a way back who used to be a "Runner". Used to take out "Mega Bags", way overweight, and rush around everywhere trying to get finished a bit early. Guess what he's knackered...and out of work on Benefits.
Knees & Back are shot....I wonder why? Was it worth it? I don't think so! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)