We are back lapsing or trying to lapse. My bone of contention is the fact that the manager
stands in front of us in the morning and shows such great concern for our wellbeing
by telling us to be careful out there, the roads are icy, snow on them. The wind is hurricane style,
do not put yourself into any danger, assess the situation and if it looks dangerous then bring the mail back and
inform us of it. Most importantly, TAKE YOUR TIME. Great speech. This is then followed by an email received from H&S about when & where
to wear spikeys. Do NOT wear when driving. Do NOT wear when there is no snow or thick ice underfoot.
Very sensible email. He then proceeds to tell us we are lapsing!
Questions fly at him as to how many times we will need to put on or take off spikeys on our rounds taking up time. He informs us that
it works for the rest of the delivery staff in the UK. Others question how we can take our time when you've just added more on to our delivery.
No answer.
It was a dead Tuesday and as there wasn't enough information on how the weather was going to affect the roads and pavements on my delivery
and after assessing the situation, I felt it would be prudent to leave the lapsing.
What would happen if management made you take out lapsing and you fell because you felt pressurised to speed up in order to finish on time?
Would management be guilty?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lapsing query
-
Broxi51
- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
- Location: Scotland
Lapsing query
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
The time has come for union.
-
Mightyaj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing query
Isn't it just a case of working your hours! They can ask you to lapse if your not working your hours but if your up to or over your hours then they can't force you to do it!
-
Broxi51
- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 19:04
- Location: Scotland
Re: Lapsing query
I am more than happy to leave the lapsing and if I get back before my time
then I will take it. However, management seem to want you take the lapsing out
at the start in case I don't have the time when I get back.
then I will take it. However, management seem to want you take the lapsing out
at the start in case I don't have the time when I get back.
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
The time has come for union.
-
A2B
- Posts: 2025
- Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing query
Well then bring back part of your walk if it's going to take you over your timeBroxi51 wrote:I am more than happy to leave the lapsing and if I get back before my time
then I will take it. However, management seem to want you take the lapsing out
at the start in case I don't have the time when I get back.
-
Mightyaj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 63
- Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Lapsing query
Spot on A2B. Basically you cut off your own round if you don't have time to do it. Unless you prefer to get paid overtime instead but they cannot force you to work over your hours!