Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find anything if it has.
I hurt my foot badly on my delivery today; nothing actually happened other than in the middle of the day I suddenly got this excrutiating pain in my foot to the point that I couldn't even put any weight on it. I'll not go into the details to save space here but I stuck it out for another hour or so (with that shooting pain coming back more regularly) until it got to the point where I could hardly walk with the pain and had to phone a manager and cut off. First thing he asked when I told him was "Did you contribute to it in any way?" I told him that I didn't, that it just happened out of the blue for no apparent reason. He replied, "Well, it's not an accident at work, then." That's why I'm on here asking for a bit of advice. My foot is still knackered - even walking out to the car just now I had to hobble out like a zombie, so I can't see how I'm going to be able to do a delivery tomorrow, and I'm certainly not struggling out in case I make matters worse in the long run. From past experience at our office I know they'll try anything to pin some sort of blame on me and say it's not an accident at work and if I don't go out on delivery this and that will happen... no doubt the term 'conduct' will be thrown about a few times. I'm going to stand my ground no matter what as I am in serious pain, but does anyone know what the official/legal procedure is for something like this outside management's usual intimidation angle?
Thanks,
MV
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Injury at work advice
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Injury at work advice
As there is no apparent mechanism of injury you must have an underlying medical condition,and unless you're a doctor you'll need it looked at.
Local walk in clinic etc any kind of medical professional,before returning to work.
If you go back before being checked then go off again its more ammo for em.
Me personally I'd call in sick first thing and explain that the pain is continuing (if it is) and you are getting it looked at today(tomorrow)
Yes they will try and pin it on you and get you to try and guesse what's up.
Ignore em.u can self cert for up to 7 days and no amount of threats can amount to anything.
But seriously get it checked.
Hope that helps n good luck matey.
Local walk in clinic etc any kind of medical professional,before returning to work.
If you go back before being checked then go off again its more ammo for em.
Me personally I'd call in sick first thing and explain that the pain is continuing (if it is) and you are getting it looked at today(tomorrow)
Yes they will try and pin it on you and get you to try and guesse what's up.
Ignore em.u can self cert for up to 7 days and no amount of threats can amount to anything.
But seriously get it checked.
Hope that helps n good luck matey.
I won
-
spiderj
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 969
- Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
- Gender: Male
- Location: ctp
Re: Injury at work advice
Forgot to add
The doctor will be better qualified to assess if its an accident at work.
Not a lino
If its a condition then its not an injury as such but may be caused by footwear,weight on back etc.
Your footwear has good tread?
You were not carrying too much
You were not reading mail.
These and more may be asked.

The doctor will be better qualified to assess if its an accident at work.
Not a lino
If its a condition then its not an injury as such but may be caused by footwear,weight on back etc.
Your footwear has good tread?
You were not carrying too much
You were not reading mail.
These and more may be asked.
I won
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Injury at work advice
You have the right to have it logged on the accident reporting system Erica if you want. Regards of whether dom thinks it's a aod or not
-
MentalVortex
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 15:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Injury at work advice
Thanks guys. It'll be interesting to see what they say tomorrow.
-
salomon
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
- Gender: Female
Re: Injury at work advice
I would go to your local a and e for an xray first thing in the morning, its less than 24hrs since it happened.Perhaps would have been a good idea to have gone straight from work. In the meantime try ice, elevating it and ibuprofen to take any inflamation down. Google plantar fasciitis ss thats a common foot problem that comes in quickly.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Injury at work advice
Well I had this exact thing one day, got back and said it's unlikely I'll walk the next day. A few hours after getting home it vanished. Turns out the pain was related to knee arthritis where the pain referred from. Could be a lot of things. I'd report it to your GP.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Injury at work advice
The only thing they can pin on you is if you were not wearing RM footwear.
Other than that its prob just fatigue type injury which will need rest. See what the doc says but I would try and get some light duties indoors.
Other than that its prob just fatigue type injury which will need rest. See what the doc says but I would try and get some light duties indoors.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........