ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Post bikes
-
DogRustyJunior
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 15:00
- Gender: Male
Post bikes
Hi all, might seem a wierd enquiry to some of you,but its not a complaint or a whine so bear with me :-)
I'm restoring an old Pashley post bike,one that seemingly avoided being cut in half,and its missing a few bits and has the wrong wheels fitted.Just wondered if anyone had any bits lying about? I'd be interested in collecting any post bike related things,bags,lamps,handbooks,tools, etc if anyone saved any after RM phased them out,it was only after I bought mine I found out they had nearly all gone!
All the best
Dan
I'm restoring an old Pashley post bike,one that seemingly avoided being cut in half,and its missing a few bits and has the wrong wheels fitted.Just wondered if anyone had any bits lying about? I'd be interested in collecting any post bike related things,bags,lamps,handbooks,tools, etc if anyone saved any after RM phased them out,it was only after I bought mine I found out they had nearly all gone!
All the best
Dan
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
It would depend on how old the bike is Dan. In my office they were all changed for the Mailstar model and any spares I had for the older ones were sent to an office still using the older version. Pashley of course are still going and you could contact them to see if they'd be interested in helping your restoration project.DogRustyJunior wrote:Hi all, might seem a wierd enquiry to some of you,but its not a complaint or a whine so bear with me :-)
I'm restoring an old Pashley post bike,one that seemingly avoided being cut in half,and its missing a few bits and has the wrong wheels fitted.Just wondered if anyone had any bits lying about? I'd be interested in collecting any post bike related things,bags,lamps,handbooks,tools, etc if anyone saved any after RM phased them out,it was only after I bought mine I found out they had nearly all gone!
All the best
Dan
-
DogRustyJunior
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 15:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Thanks guys, its a Millennium model,I think the one before the Mailstar.As well as wanting to restore it and use it I'd like to collect anything related to Postie's bikes,probably a bit of a mission but I guess this is the best place to start!
And yes I am aware that some of you may have been glad to see them go,as a Joe public looking in shall we say I can see them in a more rose tinted nolstalgic way I guess, I remember growing up wanting to be a Postman,riding round on a bike,but that was 20 years ago,and it looks like a lot has changed since then!
Best wishes
Dan
And yes I am aware that some of you may have been glad to see them go,as a Joe public looking in shall we say I can see them in a more rose tinted nolstalgic way I guess, I remember growing up wanting to be a Postman,riding round on a bike,but that was 20 years ago,and it looks like a lot has changed since then!
Best wishes
Dan
-
DogRustyJunior
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 15:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Obviously not a popular subject haha. Had a closer look today and its definitely a Millennium,and has a 25th anniversary sticker on the frame
Here's a PIC
Here's a PIC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
If you check the number stamped into the frame and contact Pashley, they will give you it's date of manufacture and exactly which model it is. That was the way we could check it's 7 year swap out originally, though we had the original paperwork. I would imagine Pashley have a computerised log by now.DogRustyJunior wrote:Obviously not a popular subject haha. Had a closer look today and its definitely a Millennium,and has a 25th anniversary sticker on the frame
Here's a PIC
-
DogRustyJunior
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 15:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Thanks for that,I shall drop them an email,my biggest task will be finding a pair o drum brake wheels and mudguards for it.
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
You've stolen a Royal Mail bike and you are writing to Pashley to tell them?
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Post bikes
I don't think they were stolen as Royal Mail sold them when we moved over to vans, some were donated to Africa from what I remember.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
DogRustyJunior
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 15:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
I haven't,neither did the cycle dealer I bought it from,and going by the incorrect wheels,mudguards and brakes,would suspect this was rescued out of a skip.this model went out of service a long time ago.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Many of ours went to a scrap dealer years ago, we just couldn't get rid of them it may be others used the same method. I'm sure it was bought in good faith and Pashley would not have an issue with it. I dealt with them many times and they were always helpful. I think it's a good thing to try to resurrect one. Though a word of caution would be try to get the inside of the frame checked if possible and check the frame very carefully for cracks. One way I used to use was a light rubbing of French chalk round the weld would sometimes show hairline cracks.DogRustyJunior wrote:I haven't,neither did the cycle dealer I bought it from,and going by the incorrect wheels,mudguards and brakes,would suspect this was rescued out of a skip.this model went out of service a long time ago.
-
DogRustyJunior
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 30 Dec 2014, 15:00
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Thanks for that,its managed to survive so feel its down to me to preserve it :-)
-
Brain Fury
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 664
- Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
The Millennium was replaced by the Mailstar in 2001 but remained in service for a minimum of 7 years after that and a few are probably still in use now. No bikes were sold by RM - they could only be scrapped or donated to charity so no Millennium or Mailstar being sold is entirely legitimate. To be honest with so few bikes left in service and those due to go within a few months it probably doesn't matter.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Prior to the African recycling scheme the way to deal with BLRd and replacement cycles was to saw out the frame number and keep it as proof of destruction, the frame was then scrapped. Later of course nobody really cared what happened to them, RM became totally disinterested in them and latterly would not replace them and suggested that the cycle mechanic should decide if it was roadworthy or not. Can you imagine the furore if an OPG cycle mechanic said the bike was OK and there was a frame failure, fork failure etc. I refused to make the decision and would only let the cycle out if a manager signed the bikes log sheet to say he was happy the bike was roadworthy. Incidentally each cycle had its own log book and any repairs and services carried out were duly noted.Brain Fury wrote:The Millennium was replaced by the Mailstar in 2001 but remained in service for a minimum of 7 years after that and a few are probably still in use now. No bikes were sold by RM - they could only be scrapped or donated to charity so no Millennium or Mailstar being sold is entirely legitimate. To be honest with so few bikes left in service and those due to go within a few months it probably doesn't matter.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
Still think there's a role for the Push bike in RM. Most of us have a van now so there's room for Parcels and I'll normally deliver the larger ones as I'm driving "Up" the road anyway. They're too big for a LWT. Then I'll park up and do a loop walking "down" the same road.
Some roads are bloody long and on a light day, when there's a few big gaps with no mail, I've often wished for a bike to ride. Reckon it would save quite a bit of time as well..... Instead of Plod, Plod Plod!
Some roads are bloody long and on a light day, when there's a few big gaps with no mail, I've often wished for a bike to ride. Reckon it would save quite a bit of time as well..... Instead of Plod, Plod Plod!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Post bikes
You want a bike and a van? Strangely whilst the rest of the population was turning to cycling RM was turning it's back on it. For example there wasn't any cycle lanes when I was on a bike. I can understand why RM have abandoned them, I think there is a sea change coming in deliveries that will utilise the vehicles and have outworkers on delivery on part time contracts replenished by the vans who will deliver parcels and packets and do a cut down delivery.