ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Managers and stage one warnings
-
Greenbaum
- Posts: 14
- Joined: 22 Aug 2013, 18:13
- Gender: Male
Managers and stage one warnings
Do managers benefit from issuing warnings in some way? I only ask as
We have a temporary assistant manager Who appears to be determined to issue me a stage one warning. I had a heart attack and was off for 4 months all of which was covered by doctors, unfit for work, notes. I also went through OH Assist who were happy with the situation. I went back to work and was put on a full walk within a week because 'they were desperate' . In short I can't see any justification for disciplinary action. So all I can think of is he gets brownie points or needs to tick some box on his resume' or something. Can anyone shed any light?
We have a temporary assistant manager Who appears to be determined to issue me a stage one warning. I had a heart attack and was off for 4 months all of which was covered by doctors, unfit for work, notes. I also went through OH Assist who were happy with the situation. I went back to work and was put on a full walk within a week because 'they were desperate' . In short I can't see any justification for disciplinary action. So all I can think of is he gets brownie points or needs to tick some box on his resume' or something. Can anyone shed any light?
-
Himaggen
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
As much as you'd like someone to say, "yes, they get £500 for each case" we cannot provide generic answers for specific cases. Please provide details e.g.
- Have you attended a meeting? (Are you in the Union? and did your Union Rep attend too?)
- Have you been issued with something?
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
I think you are missing the point here. First of all, absence is treated as genuine,whatever the cause,secondly you are being issued with a stage warning ,because you were absent not because of your condition , your duty had to be covered ,plus, you (presumably) were being paid,so it costs them double . If at any point in the future you are threatened with dismissal for your absence,then mitigation will be taken into account. Hopefully everything will be okay and the warning will wither on the vine.
Last edited by rubberbond on 01 Jan 2015, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3220
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
Not called stage warnings anymore
Just discussions and reviews.
Just discussions and reviews.
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
A stage 1 is the point of departure on the slippery slope of the attendance procedure.Greenbaum wrote:Do managers benefit from issuing warnings in some way?
If you don't get a stage 1 you can't get to stage 3.
Dismissal under the attendance procedure is cheaper than VR or IHR
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
True,but then again from what I understand an awful lot of stage3 dismissals are overturned on appeal,due to failure to follow the correct procedure.clashcityrocker wrote:A stage 1 is the point of departure on the slippery slope of the attendance procedure.Greenbaum wrote:Do managers benefit from issuing warnings in some way?
If you don't get a stage 1 you can't get to stage 3.
Dismissal under the attendance procedure is cheaper than VR or IHR
-
thebiggestman
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:10
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
What planet are you on. Give some good advice and if it is truly unjust get the office to walk out. If they have followed the attendance agreement and given the correct reviews and opportunity for mitigation, added to the cost to go Tribunal they wouldn't care less what the absence was for. Everyone thinks they're unfairly dismissed only 3% are. Nip it at the first opportunity put in a grievance and get your colleagues to walktwincamms wrote:No the don't gain anything from issuing any stage warnings, however, they do have to do as instructed from correctly following procedure and any formal action, reprimand, dismissal would just be thrown out and if it wasn't internally they'd get destroyed in a tribunal.
Until these Linos have independent thought, intelligence and the autonomy to act on their own judgements and are fully educated in the RM official procedures and legislation, you'll always come out on top....................
-
royalmailslave
- Posts: 126
- Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
I was recently issues a stage1 and it was only triggered by a matter of less than 2 weeks.....if my last period of sickness had come just less than 2 weeks later I wouldn't of triggered it.....there was no lee-way and I was issued it regardless ....i and my Union rep both thought it was a harsh decision but there's sod all I could do about it apart from take it on the chin
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16692
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
But strangely I didn't.twincamms wrote:That's what I said...........rubberbond wrote:clashcityrocker wrote:True,but then again from what I understand an awful lot of stage3 dismissals are overturned on appeal,due to failure to follow the correct procedure.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
If on a stage, work to rule. When the manager starts crying about it, make sure you explain why.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
So you did! Sorry!twincamms wrote:That's what I said...........rubberbond wrote:clashcityrocker wrote:True,but then again from what I understand an awful lot of stage3 dismissals are overturned on appeal,due to failure to follow the correct procedure.
-
Happybunny87
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 14 Nov 2013, 09:45
- Gender: Female
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
Might be slightly off topic but have been given a stage 2 meeting for next week, only issue is I was never issued with any stage 1 decision from my manager, the last two sicknesses they haven't even performed a return to work? I will be talking to my rep in the morning but wondered what you all thought on the issue? Cheers
-
teesdale
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 430
- Joined: 24 Nov 2007, 16:31
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
The attendance procedure endorsed by CWU and Royal Mail does seem to be pretty evil in its approach to people who go to hospital to avoid invalidity or even death, treating these absences the same as say an absence for flu. At no point can I see any sympathy shown by Royal Mail towards a person who may have survived such a personal trauma. What a kick in the teeth to return to work still in shock from being happy just still to be alive, to be issued a warning for being sick. Is it a sign of a large employer being in control of its sickness levels or an employer too large to be in control of anything.
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
Return to work interviews are supposed to be done within 3 hours of you starting your shift.
Any decision to issue a review is supposed to be given to you verbally and in writing.
Neither two are going to be a factor in your review 2 as they don't give a feck and some knobjockey farther up the food chain will have said to issue it even though person circumstances are supposed to be considered yadda yadda.
But fear not as the very, very independent appeals manager will save you if it comes to a reason to urge.

Any decision to issue a review is supposed to be given to you verbally and in writing.
Neither two are going to be a factor in your review 2 as they don't give a feck and some knobjockey farther up the food chain will have said to issue it even though person circumstances are supposed to be considered yadda yadda.
But fear not as the very, very independent appeals manager will save you if it comes to a reason to urge.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Managers and stage one warnings
It's a way to apply pressure. It's that simple.